• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

3 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

As I also received instruction from my earthly father as such .... I like Shiloh am thankful for the understanding that with disobedience can come grave consequences! You who are ranting against this do so outside or against the advice of God's Word... your goose! cook it as you see best!  Love, Steven 

No enoob not "grave" consequences but consequences for their actions. My mom spanked me.I was also taught good character,integrity.morals and values. If you do not discipline your children at all you are going to come up with a "spoiled brat". No one likes a spoiled self centered brat. You are not doing your children any favors by letting them get away with murder. But how you do that could have some lasting consequences to that child. Will your child respect you for that discipline the way you played it out or are they going to hate you? That is going to cause a lot of baggage in that child's future.

14 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I have seen kids who are being spanked laugh at the parent and say "That did not hurt do it again". That makes the parent even angrier. Then what do you do? But you take away television or the video game or the i phone and it is a whole different story. I have seen parents who have beat their kids at the grocery store or slap their child across the face. I have heard them call them four letter words that would make me blush. You just can not go there. You have to discipline with love along with the consequence. Or you are going to have one messed up kid when they grow up.

My father spanked me at times in my youth and while he wasn't the best parent in the world... some of the "spankings"

worked for my good in the end.

On the other-hand, because he didn't go through the process of explaining the discipline to me in the moment, I would

often find myself confused about the meaning of the discipline and resentful of him as a person. I rebelled quite a bit.

While I'm thankful for (some) of the lessons I learned through a strict set of rules in the home and the "spankings" that

my father gave me even while he was drunk and angry. My mother would take the time to comfort and console me and

brought things into context. It was her explanations of the situation that taught me much more than the "spankings".

And that's the thing that I'm seeing here in the thread... the applause for the spankings without mention of the loving

verbal aspect that should go along with the physical. Sometimes the messages in a conversation are conveyed by what is not

spoken about more so than what is said.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings creative

What your stance on people spanking their kids. Some countries see it as a horrific act, making it illegal, other (like mine) see it as a perfectly acceptable  means of disciplining their kids so long as its not excessive. The Bible itself endorses it in several verses

I'm not even going to enter tain anything except your OP...... ABSOLUTELY AGREED!!!! It begins when the child is a  wee little one,no is no & it is made clear with a good pat on the behind or the hand,,,,& then it really  doesn't have to go any further because they learn very early that you mean business...I believe the problem is with the 'you're gonna get it" & nothing ever comes of it......                                                   With love-in Christ,Kwik

24 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

As I also received instruction from my earthly father as such .... I like Shiloh am thankful for the understanding that with disobedience can come grave consequences! You who are ranting against this do so outside or against the advice of God's Word... your goose! cook it as you see best!  Love, Steven 

If this is directed to me, I take issue with the notion that I'm ranting at all... just a small voice of reason, here.

But I am most assuredly not against God's teaching on the subject.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  484
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

:(

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,180
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

16 minutes ago, Teditis said:

If this is directed to me, I take issue with the notion that I'm ranting at all... just a small voice of reason, here.

But I am most assuredly not against God's teaching on the subject.

nope

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,180
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

This is not rocket science ...  The purpose of punishment is to turn from disobedience to obedience! Why because the ultimate understanding is God's wrath and eternal punishment for!  Also the in the same vein The Father took out His anger for sin upon His Son when the Jesus requested we be forgiven for we knew not what we were doing.... so all you who contend a bruise is abuse will face a Son Who bore the Father's stripes ( and we know it was brutal ) so that we could be saved and this pleased The Father

Isaiah 53:10 (KJV)

[10] Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

Love, Steven

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Teditis said:

Child abuse is not a laughing matter... nor are the case numbers anything near "miniscule".

(To suggest such a thing is just pandering to the audience... but you're misrepresenting the cases.)

The statistics, nationally, are in the hundreds of thousands per month. And the severity of the abuse

is staggering, I've seen it first-hand, working as a Guardian ad Litem. The trauma that some kids go

through from a 2-3 minute "spanking" would leave bruises if not break the skin, in most cases. Some

cases would send a child to the hospital. While I'll assume that most here would take the "spanking" that

far... some of what I've read in this thread appalls me.

No one said that child abuse is minuscule.   What I was saying was  that people who get some kind of sadistic gratification from spanking a child (if any do), are minuscule in number.   You  could at least try to fame my remarks correctly.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

This really  shows the impact of culture. In my country, spankings are so universally accepted that adults actually tell stories about being punished that way as kids and laugh. Also its not just parents,because were have strong extended familes, its pretty normal for a child to be spanked by aunts,uncles,grandparents,in spme cases family friends or even i visited a country and heard a pastor did it. Reason beinf ,parents trust rhe others adults discretion on the disciplinig their child. Matter of fact, next to my church is a tree and so many switches have been cut  from it to punish kids for misbehavior. It may seem barbaric, but we don't get a quarter of the problems that we hear happening in the Us or other western countries

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

4 minutes ago, creativemechanic said:

This really  shows the impact of culture. In my country, spankings are so universally accepted that adults actually tell stories about being punished that way as kids and laugh. Also its not just parents,because were have strong extended familes, its pretty normal for a child to be spanked by aunts,uncles,grandparents,in spme cases family friends or even i visited a country and heard a pastor did it. Reason beinf ,parents trust rhe others adults discretion on the disciplinig their child. Matter of fact, next to my church is a tree and so many switches have been cut  from it to punish kids for misbehavior. It may seem barbaric, but we don't get a quarter of the problems that we hear happening in the Us or other western countries

I don't know what country you come from, however the dynamic may be different where you live.  You seem to have a more communal life style, where everyone takes responsibility for the child.  In this country parents often lose control and the statistics on that are shameful, also only parents can touch their child, teacher can no longer do that.  Also, people with issues over anger and control, will not admit it and always have a good reason for what they have done.  Even if the child has to go to the ER. It is on the same level of domestic violence between a husband and a wife. A switch was used on me, it hurt but did not damage to skin etc.  Nor was I ever told to pull down my pants and underwear before punishment.  I am sure that if a child was seriously injured or beaten to such an extent that the  he or she needed medical care, I doubt you and your friends would think it OK.  This is what this is about this going back and forth.  How far does a parent even have a right to go.  Children or not property, things, etc.  In the parable of the Prodigal Son, it would be good to ponder on how the father reacted to his wayward son who if anyone needed punishment it was him.