• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

8 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Satan or demons causing nightmares is not Biblical.

Question: "What does the Bible say about nightmares?"

Answer:
Nightmares are defined as dreams that produce a strong negative emotional response, such as fear or horror. Nightmare sufferers usually awake in a state of extreme distress, even to the point of a severe physical response—racing pulse, sweating, nausea—and they often are unable to go back to sleep for some time. The causes of nightmares are varied. Children, because of their active imaginations, are prone to nightmares, some so severe that they wake up screaming and crying. Extreme incidents of these are also referred to as “night terrors.” Eating certain foods too close to bedtime can trigger a nightmare, as can viewing scary movies. Going to bed distressed about life’s circumstances or after a fight or argument can also cause nightmares because of the brain’s continued activity during sleep.

There is no doubt that nightmares can be extremely disturbing, but is there any spiritual significance to nightmares? Dreams and visions are mentioned in the Bible, and God sometimes used the dream state to communicate with His prophets and others. God spoke to Abimelech in Genesis 20, warning him not to touch Abraham’s wife, Sarah. Other dreams include Jacob’s ladder (Genesis 28), Joseph’s dream that his brothers would serve him that led to his captivity in Egypt (Genesis 37), as well as his interpretation of Pharaoh's dreams (Genesis 40-41) that led to his being made the second most powerful man in Egypt. The Lord or His angel appeared to others in the Bible, including Solomon (1 Kings 3), Nebuchadnezzar (Daniel 2), Joseph (Matthew 2), and Pilate’s wife (Matthew 27). None of these dreams, however, with the possible exception of Pilate’s wife’s dream, can really be called a nightmare. So it would appear that God does not usually speak to people through nightmares.

Some people think Satan or demons are infiltrating their minds during nightmares, but there is no passage in the Bible to directly substantiate this. With the possible exception of a dream Eliphaz claimed to have, there are no biblical incidents of demonic forces communicating with people during dreams or nightmares. Most likely, nightmares are nothing more than the brain’s way of contending with our fears and concerns as it continues to function during sleep cycles. If a Christian experiences continual, frequent nightmares that are interrupting sleep and causing emotional disturbance on a regular basis, perhaps medical help is in order. But, as in all things, prayer is our most potent weapon against any kind of emotional or spiritual distress. Praying for fifteen or twenty minutes prior to sleep is the most effective way to calm the mind and heart and prepare for restful sleep. As in all things, God grants wisdom to those who seek it from Him (James 1:5), and He has also promised His peace to all who seek it. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6–7).

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-nightmares.html

I'm not talking about nightmares, I'm talking about sleep paralysis and 'night terrors' which are independent phenomena. Nightmares are just nightmares and they are not the same thing.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

17 hours ago, OakWood said:

What secular 'experts' have to say is not really my concern. Secular scientists and experts also claim that we evolved from monkeys and that there is no God. They don't have a great track record when it comes to understanding spiritual issues.

Demons ARE definitely responsible. My own periods of sleep paralysis stopped after giving myself to Jesus.

Amen Oak, thrilled Jesus has set you free!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

27 minutes ago, OakWood said:

I'm not talking about nightmares, I'm talking about sleep paralysis and 'night terrors' which are independent phenomena. Nightmares are just nightmares and they are not the same thing.

I understand that Oak. I am replying to Rusty's post.

"While it is a neurological problem, the enemy can certainly use it to his advantage.  Nightmares and Night Terrors are different.  There have been people actually die from night terrors because they are awake but cannot react as they should.  There have been people that have jumped out of windows because in night terrors you think someone or something is chasing you.  

Nightmares I believe can be from the enemy.  That is the only time he can really have any control over the mind of a believer.  I think we have had a nightmare.  Night terrors are just horrible for those who suffer from them.  

Yes this can be the enemy's playground.

Blessings, RustyAngeL "

29 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I understand that Oak. I am replying to Rusty's post.

"While it is a neurological problem, the enemy can certainly use it to his advantage.  Nightmares and Night Terrors are different.  There have been people actually die from night terrors because they are awake but cannot react as they should.  There have been people that have jumped out of windows because in night terrors you think someone or something is chasing you.  

Nightmares I believe can be from the enemy.  That is the only time he can really have any control over the mind of a believer.  I think we have had a nightmare.  Night terrors are just horrible for those who suffer from them.  

Yes this can be the enemy's playground.

Blessings, RustyAngeL "

Ok, fair enough

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,678
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, OakWood said:

My own experience of sleep paralysis would often occur just before waking up. I had the feeling of something or somebody pressing down on my chest as if trying to enter my body. It was terrifying, and I just had to wait until I had woken up fully and could move then it would disappear. On one occasion my eyes were slightly open and could see everything in the bedroom including the entity which was a very dark human-like figure but I couldn't see a face. I could also hear the sounds of people talking in the rest of the house.

After I found Jesus, the entity tried one more time, but after trying to call out for Jesus (I didn't succeed as I could not speak, but I thought it out) the entity jumped off me and disappeared. I have never experienced such a thing again and that is why I believe that such attacks are demonic in nature. My curiosity led me to look into this and my experience echoes the experiences of many others. There are other testimonies of people who have suffered such attacks, but the attacks stopped after they became Christians. Some alien abductions are similar in nature, occurring when a person is asleep in bed. Many Christians are aware that extra-terrestrials don't exist and aliens from other planets are really deceitful demons or fallen angels pretending to be E.Ts.

Hi OakWood

Before i became a Christian i was into occult practices and demonic spirits were aplenty in my houser...I became a Christian and these things fled...A few years later i was at a bible study and the question came up..Can a Christian have an evil spirit indwell them? That night i awoke to something heavy on my chest, there was loud breathing/wheezing and i felt as if i was lifted partially from my bed..It was terrifying and i called upon Jesus and the entity let go and even though i would not open my eyes through fear of what i might see, i felt it leave through the open window..So as a Christian i experienced this  common phenomena in answer to a question...

God bless

52 minutes ago, Snow said:

Hi OakWood

Before i became a Christian i was into occult practices and demonic spirits were aplenty in my houser...I became a Christian and these things fled...A few years later i was at a bible study and the question came up..Can a Christian have an evil spirit indwell them? That night i awoke to something heavy on my chest, there was loud breathing/wheezing and i felt as if i was lifted partially from my bed..It was terrifying and i called upon Jesus and the entity let go and even though i would not open my eyes through fear of what i might see, i felt it leave through the open window..So as a Christian i experienced this  common phenomena in answer to a question...

God bless

Christians can experience demonic oppression but they can't experience full possession. Although some bold and cheeky malevolent spirits may try, they are soon repelled by the Holy Spirit. They don't often try it again. It's usually something that new Christians may experience, especially if they were involved with malevolent practices before they found Jesus. Satan is after all, only trying... and I hate to say this, but I can't blame him. After all, he knows his time is short and he is desperate. He will test new believers, to see if they really are believers or not. They have left his domain and he wants to try and see if he can get them back, but unfortunately for him, we serve somebody far more powerful.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "What does the Bible say about demonic oppression?"

Answer:
There is strong biblical evidence that a Christian cannot be demon possessed. The question then arises regarding what influence/power a demon can have over a Christian. Many Bible teachers describe demonic influence on a Christian as “demonic oppression” to distinguish it from possession.

The Bible says that the devil seeks to devour believers (1 Peter 5:8), and Satan and his demons “scheme” against Christians (Ephesians 6:11). As Satan attempted with Jesus (Luke 4:2), demonic forces tempt us to sin and oppose our efforts to obey God. Should a Christian allow the demons to succeed in these attacks, oppression results. Demonic oppression is when a demon is temporarily victorious over a Christian, successfully tempting a Christian to sin and hindering his ability to serve God with a strong testimony. If a Christian continues to allow demonic oppression in his/her life, the oppression can increase to the point that the demon has a very strong influence over the Christian’s thoughts, behavior, and spirituality. Christians who allow continuing sin open themselves up for greater and greater oppression. Confession and repentance of sin are necessary to restore fellowship with God, who can then break the power of demonic influence. The apostle John gives us great encouragement in this area: “We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the one who was born of God keeps him safe, and the evil one cannot harm him” (1 John 5:18).

For the Christian, the power for victory over and freedom from demonic oppression is always available. John declares, “The One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world” (1 John 4:4). The power of the indwelling Holy Spirit (Romans 8:9) is always available to overcome demonic oppression. No demon, not even Satan himself, can prevent a Christian from surrendering to the Holy Spirit and thereby overcoming any and all demonic oppression. Peter encourages believers to resist the devil, “standing firm in your faith” (1 Peter 5:9). Being firm or steadfast in the faith means relying on the power of the Holy Spirit to successfully resist demonic influence. Faith is built up through the spiritual disciplines of feeding on the Word of God, persistent prayer, and godly fellowship. Strengthening our faith by these means enables us to put up the shield of faith with which we can “extinguish the flaming arrows of the evil one” (Ephesians 6:16).

https://www.gotquestions.org/demonic-oppression.html

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,678
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, OakWood said:

Christians can experience demonic oppression but they can't experience full possession. Although some bold and cheeky malevolent spirits may try, they are soon repelled by the Holy Spirit. They don't often try it again. It's usually something that new Christians may experience, especially if they were involved with malevolent practices before they found Jesus. Satan is after all, only trying... and I hate to say this, but I can't blame him. After all, he knows his time is short and he is desperate. He will test new believers, to see if they really are believers or not. They have left his domain and he wants to try and see if he can get them back, but unfortunately for him, we serve somebody far more powerful.

Yes it never did happen again! Thank the Lord!!!.....

God bless

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,514
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

L.A. Marzulli has some pretty good YouTube videos on those subjects

Personally I have no experience on the subject. I personally believe demons are active attacking the believer and non believer alike any way they can. It's my belief and understanding a demon can not possess a person unless invited. And that invitation could be something as simple as playing a wegie board (sp)., attend an occult practice, invoking the dark side etc.

If you're a Christian having the Holy Spirit indwelling you, you can believe a demon has no chance entering you. 

Like I said, LA Marzulli (and he is a Christian) has researched this subject and makes some interesting connections on night terrors and sleep paralysis.  

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,514
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

21 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Satan or demons causing nightmares is not Biblical.

Question: "What does the Bible say about nightmares?"

Answer:
Nightmares are defined as dreams that produce a strong negative emotional response, such as fear or horror. Nightmare sufferers usually awake in a state of extreme distress, even to the point of a severe physical response—racing pulse, sweating, nausea—and they often are unable to go back to sleep for some time. The causes of nightmares are varied. Children, because of their active imaginations, are prone to nightmares, some so severe that they wake up screaming and crying. Extreme incidents of these are also referred to as “night terrors.” Eating certain foods too close to bedtime can trigger a nightmare, as can viewing scary movies. Going to bed distressed about life’s circumstances or after a fight or argument can also cause nightmares because of the brain’s continued activity during sleep.

There is no doubt that nightmares can be extremely disturbing, but is there any spiritual significance to nightmares? Dreams and visions are mentioned in the Bible, and God sometimes used the dream state to communicate with His prophets and others. God spoke to Abimelech in Genesis 20, warning him not to touch Abraham’s wife, Sarah. Other dreams include Jacob’s ladder (Genesis 28), Joseph’s dream that his brothers would serve him that led to his captivity in Egypt (Genesis 37), as well as his interpretation of Pharaoh's dreams (Genesis 40-41) that led to his being made the second most powerful man in Egypt. The Lord or His angel appeared to others in the Bible, including Solomon (1 Kings 3), Nebuchadnezzar (Daniel 2), Joseph (Matthew 2), and Pilate’s wife (Matthew 27). None of these dreams, however, with the possible exception of Pilate’s wife’s dream, can really be called a nightmare. So it would appear that God does not usually speak to people through nightmares.

Some people think Satan or demons are infiltrating their minds during nightmares, but there is no passage in the Bible to directly substantiate this. With the possible exception of a dream Eliphaz claimed to have, there are no biblical incidents of demonic forces communicating with people during dreams or nightmares. Most likely, nightmares are nothing more than the brain’s way of contending with our fears and concerns as it continues to function during sleep cycles. If a Christian experiences continual, frequent nightmares that are interrupting sleep and causing emotional disturbance on a regular basis, perhaps medical help is in order. But, as in all things, prayer is our most potent weapon against any kind of emotional or spiritual distress. Praying for fifteen or twenty minutes prior to sleep is the most effective way to calm the mind and heart and prepare for restful sleep. As in all things, God grants wisdom to those who seek it from Him (James 1:5), and He has also promised His peace to all who seek it. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6–7).

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-nightmares.html

This begs the question and I have to ask?

How many demons did Jesus and the Apostles cast out. I get the impression there was a boat load of them. Are you saying demonic possession doesn't occur in this modern day and age? How many demons were cast out of those whom believed in Christ? 

Yes, no doubt many or most of these experiences are not of a demonic origin, but that's not to say it isn't common. We're living in an age where Satanic / demonic activity has drastically increased.