• Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Another thing comes to mind.

Levirite marriage. 

This was to accomplish two things:

1. preserve a family line
  2. provide shelter for a widow

As far as I know, a Levirite marriage was not on par with marriage nor was a brother's widow available for sexual pleasure...

...and I am certain the normal wife was still not happy with the arrangement. See the book of Ruth when Boaz mentions another kinsman is closer than he... that kinsman passes on the rite to redeem to protect his own inheritance (meaning he loved his wife too much to do his levirite duty... or he was scared of her LOL).

By then what was originally a display of shame (removing the shoe getting spit in the face publicly) was an academic handing off of the shoe / sandal. Passing the buck, etc. Ruth and Boaz had a love story... and the decision of the closer kinsman was the cliff hanger...

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

12 hours ago, RustyAngeL said:

Titus 1:6 Talks about men with positions in the church such as Bishop being the husband of one wife.  I'm pretty sure God meant that for all men. 

So just curious Shadows do you think it's OK for men to have more then one wife?

I am not sure if Titus 1:6 supports or opposes polygamy.  It clearly does for the Bishop, but does making that rule not imply that others would be allowed to have more than one wife?

I personally would not want more than one wife, one has been just perfect for me for more than two decades. I would also not counsel anyone to have more than one wife and I do believe it goes against God's basic plan for marriage, though I do not think you can support Biblically that it is a sin.  So, with all that said the Libertarian in me says that if two adult  women and one adult male (or the other way around I guess) want to enter into that arrangement it is not my place, or for that matter the place of the government, to tell them they cannot. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/03/2003

One of the ten commandments is Thou shall not commit adultery. Having more than one wife would be adultry so it was wrong even then. In the new Testiment requirements for church elders was to be the husband of one wife. 1 Timothy 3:2 , 1 Timothy 3:12 , Titus 1:6 . So the Bible does prohibit polygamy.

1 hour ago, Sing40King said:

One of the ten commandments is Thou shall not commit adultery. Having more than one wife would be adultry so it was wrong even then. In the new Testiment requirements for church elders was to be the husband of one wife. 1 Timothy 3:2 , 1 Timothy 3:12 , Titus 1:6 . So the Bible does prohibit polygamy.

Having more than one wife would not be committing adultery since one cannot commit adultery with someone you are married to

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Lust - survival - status - a token / covenant

Lust and status are self explanatory. There are many examples in history when two or more nations were at war or aggression, brokered a covenant or peace agreement by offering the King's or leaders daughter to the other King or leader for marriage, as a covenant, symbol, agreement they would be at peace and honor it. I assume the reason being was they would want no harm to befall their daughter. Just my 2 cents.

The flesh and my sin nature is trying to burst out and make a funny comment of having more than one wife. I'm containing it, I'm containing it... :D

Edited by Dennis1209

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  41
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  5,324
  • Content Per Day:  1.64
  • Days Won:  2

27 minutes ago, Yowm said:

When men realized they could only handle one boss! LOL

Lol.... t2705.gif

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  521
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

4 hours ago, Sing40King said:

I've always thought this, too...regarding adultery and polygamy back during Biblical times.

39 minutes ago, *Deidre* said:

I've always thought this, too...regarding adultery and polygamy back during Biblical times.

Since all parties are married in a polygamous relationship it by default cannot be adultery.  It even seems that in biblical times a concubine was not considered adultery

18 minutes ago, Davida said:

In GOD's eyes or in men's eyes?   

There is no indication in the OT that God viewed it was adultery. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  521
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

1 hour ago, Out of the Shadows said:

Since all parties are married in a polygamous relationship it by default cannot be adultery.  It even seems that in biblical times a concubine was not considered adultery

But, it wasn't a mandate by God...I think that it was purely cultural. Just like in the US, polygamy is illegal. It's cultural. If you are a Muslim and live in the middle east, polygamy is not seen as adultery, and it is legal.