• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/03/2003

Did you all know that there are two chapters in the Bible that are word for word identical? I was amazed when I checked them out but they are. II Kings 19 and Isaiah 37. It's the story of Hezakiah. If I wasn't already a sold out believer that would have changed my mind. Two book, two different prophets but word for word the same. I doubt they copied off each other in class.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, Sing40King said:

I doubt they copied off each other in class.

Correct. Now can you figure out the reason why the two chapters are identical (or almost so)?

• Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

9 minutes ago, Ezra said:

Correct. Now can you figure out the reason why the two chapters are identical (or almost so)?

[I'll bet he can do it!]

1 hour ago, Sing40King said:

Did you all know that there are two chapters in the Bible that are word for word identical? I was amazed when I checked them out but they are. II Kings 19 and Isaiah 37. It's the story of Hezakiah. If I wasn't already a sold out believer that would have changed my mind. Two book, two different prophets but word for word the same. I doubt they copied off each other in class.

Don't know why that would shake your faith.  The story of the feeding of the 5,000 with the loaves and fishes is told four times in four different books.  And there are huge similarities between 2 Peter and Jude.

Guest shiloh357
10 hours ago, Sing40King said:

If I wasn't already a sold out believer that would have changed my mind.

That's interesting because most skeptics point to discrepancies and differences in two texts about the same story, as the reason for rejecting Scripture, not their similarities.

12 hours ago, Sing40King said:

If I wasn't already a sold out believer that would have changed my mind. Two book, two different prophets but word for word the same. I doubt they copied off each other in class.

OK, I misunderstood you.  I thought you meant it would have shaken your faith had you not been "sold out".  It shouldn't shake anyone, but it also shouldn't increase anyone's faith that the stories are the same.

I still think you can learn why they are the same.  While the Bible is a supernaturally inspired book, this case of the same story written twice is not quite as supernatural as you might think.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

Was not The Bible's authors lead by The holy Spirit? If so they were authored by the hand of God.

It says in Luke 12:7  that the very hairs on your head are numbered and there is a lot more of us than there are words in The Bible. If God can remember that, as well as those who were before us and those who are behind us, then I think he can remember, Word for Word what had happened and repeat it without error.

16 minutes ago, Churchmouse said:

Was not The Bible's authors lead by The holy Spirit? If so they were authored by the hand of God.

It says in Luke 12:7  that the very hairs on your head are numbered and there is a lot more of us than there are words in The Bible. If God can remember that, as well as those who were before us and those who are behind us, then I think he can remember, Word for Word what had happened and repeat it without error.

You and the OP are assuming that they were two separate authors for 2 Kings 19 and Isaiah 37. ;)

• Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

8 hours ago, Jayne said:

You and the OP are assuming that they were two separate authors for 2 Kings 19 and Isaiah 37. ;)

Yes they were indeed two separate authors (or writers since God is the Author).  According to Jewish tradition I and II Kings (one book Sepher M'lakhim) was written by Jeremiah, whereas Isaiah was written by Isaiah.  There must have been a very good reason for the Holy Spirit to have Jeremiah duplicate Isaiah (almost exactly). While Kings deals with kings, Isaiah is a wide ranging prophecy which focuses on Messiah and salvation.

1 hour ago, Ezra said:

Yes they were indeed two separate authors (or writers since God is the Author).  According to Jewish tradition I and II Kings (one book Sepher M'lakhim) was written by Jeremiah, whereas Isaiah was written by Isaiah.  There must have been a very good reason for the Holy Spirit to have Jeremiah duplicate Isaiah (almost exactly). While Kings deals with kings, Isaiah is a wide ranging prophecy which focuses on Messiah and salvation.

You can find scholars who also say that Jeremiah may have written 1 and 2 Kings, but also in that list of contenders is Ezra, Ezekiel, and other prophets.  Some say that Isaiah wrote the portion on Hezekiah - chapters 18-20.

The bottom line is - we don't know who or who all wrote the book. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  253
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  05/11/1963

I think probably what happened is the Levites liked what Isaiah wrote and just included it. They probably just saw it as an important historical narrative, the books of the Kings were written over hundreds of years, they used various sources from what I understand. It was normal Hebrew scholarship.