• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  352
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

18 hours ago, Ezra said:

Your question was answered by showing you the Scripture which says that ALL Scripture is "God-breathed" (theopneustos) translated as "given by inspiration of God". That is a perfectly adequate answer.  Furthermore it is just the 66 books of the Bible.

As to how we know that the NT books are inspired, Peter tells us that ALL of Paul's epistles (over 50% of the NT), as well as his own epistles, are equal to the OT Scriptures, and the other books indicate that they are also divinely inspired either directly or indirectly.  The NT canon was already established by the 2nd century AD.

How do we equate scripture being inspired by God to being Gods word?    Are men no longer inspired by God?  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,435
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

39 minutes ago, ruck1b said:

Listen, I wont get into the underhanded insults.  Either you want to participate in the conversation  or not.  It also seems that you didn't bother reading what I wrote because I expanded quite a bit on the questions I asked you.  Please refrain from further insults please.  If you can't do then we have nothing else left to discuss.  

It was not an insult. Merely was showing the repetitive stance you took when we presented answers to your question.  I should have worded it differently, but i did not and i did apologize earlier in the thread for this as the moderator pointed out to me.  Your replies are more like this is a trivia. Whose answers does not match your expectation, then you run back to what your question was.  There are many ways to ask a question to get the reader to comprehend it.  All i am saying is to give a little more insight to the question and the reason behind it.   I am not on this forum to insult and belittle anyone.  So again, what is the thought behind that question.  Let us know.

18 hours ago, JTC said:

With all due respect, do we know if the OP is an adult, a teenager or under 12? I don't.

I think maybe he's asking if we consider the Bible the verbatim words of God. I know some people do but I don't. I believe the Bible is words men wrote based on what God spoke to them, either in their minds, or sometimes through the Holy Spirit, or even by angels, such as in the book of Daniel. 

JTC I really appreciate this comment.  I am 36 for clarity.   Also you also hit the nail on the head with what I was asking.  I also believe that the Bible is not the word of God, but contains God's word.    Again I thank you. 

14 hours ago, The_Patriot2016 said:

there is no doubt, that God used men to actually put it on paper-but scripture is clear, that it was God who told them what to say, hence the verse I put above-all scripture is inspired, all scripture is the word of God. There is no other way to say it, and that is what it means.

So it is of your belief that scripture and Gods word are one in the same?   Are men no longer inspired by God?  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

ruck1b,  One thing you seem to be focusing on is that things have changed in the last 6000 yrs. So in this sense God's information to us has changed. I often understand this by thinking of God as a super smart parent and we're children who are growing up. For example, I would tell a child under 12 to never ever touch an electrical outlet. But once he's older I'd tell him he can touch it and teach him the safe ways to do it. So back in OT times men kept slaves and God told men how to treat slaves fairly. So some of God's instructions to us have changed as our society changes. Nevertheless, what God says is fair really doesn't change.

Let me make a suggestion to you. Instead of asking is the Bible the word of God, rephrase the word "word". Such as: do we believe the Bible is God's instructions to man. Or is the Bible God's rules on how to live to man? (Btw, the answer is yes to both examples) Rephrase the question because we have answered it.

15 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Why don't you go google it if you don't like our answers. 

LOL....Hey Kay long time.  Glad to see you are still around.  Its not about me not liking  the answers.  We need to pull on each other. I'm sure we are aware that there are many things that we believe when it comes to God. The Bible and it being his word is one of those things.  As I stated in the beginning this is a touchy subject, but I would ask that you save the snarky remarks.  They don't benefit us and take away from the conversation that we could be having.  I

11 hours ago, coheir said:

ruck1b; Do we need to give a Peter Ruckman answer, to get it right?

I didn't know who he was until I googled him.  But this isn't about getting it right, this is about conversation. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

2 minutes ago, ruck1b said:

So it is of your belief that scripture and Gods word are one in the same?   Are men no longer inspired by God?  

Men are still inspired by God. He still speaks to us, usually in our minds. But He also uses things said in stories to speak to us. I've experienced this. 

Some parts of the Bible are the literal words of God. I'd say the 10 commandments off the top of my head. Most of the Bible is man writing down what God made that man understand. 

The Bible is not God dictating a book to men who typed it out like a secretary would type out a letter from her boss. But that doesn't mean what it says is not reliable and true. It is reliable and true. I once thought the Bible was the literal word -for - word words of God. Then I found out that's not even possible because most people couldn't write, there was no paper and pencils around, so the man God spoke to had to find a scribe. That is someone who knew how to write. We have thousands of copies of the NT and the amazing thing is how much they agree. When you hear there are thousands of errors these errors are misspelled words and grammatical errors. Try something. Take a page of print, any book you like, and copy that page. Then check it. You will have made errors that are unimportant to the meaning but a scholar would still call it an error. If my PC didn't have spell check I'd be making errors galore. 

So I hope this helped. The Bible is not the literal word for word words from God. Not like a secretary typing a letter being dictated to her. But it is God's rules, His instructions, His ideas and His thoughts that were told to men and then written down. And this is why it takes years of study and thinking to understand the scriptures.    

11 hours ago, warrior12 said:

My apologies to any i have offended and i really did not mean to post it the way i did.  

Ok, so i will rephrase the statement. 

To the OP.  I have tried in my replies to give you the answer i saw as appropriate.  It seems that my replies did not answer your question and is therefore asking you give an expanded view of your question, mainly the last last sentence.  One has to truly grasp what your intent in the line of question is.  As others have said your question answer itself and i was trying to give reasons to the way i interpreted the question.  

If you modify the question to  show some line of reasoning, then the readers can get a understanding of your post.   Did not mean to offend you and i am sorry for what could be seen as impatience.  

To steve.  The reply was to the poster and not to others, though i now realize the way it is worded, other can take offence.  thanks for pointing out my error. 

I'm just seeing this because I didn't want to get ahead of myself with the new posts.  Thank you for the apology. 

I don't understand what you would like modified.  You stated you answered as you saw appropriate.  I also replied and mainly by asking more questions with a bit more detail.  Personally I see no rush or an overt need for immediate resolution.  These issues have been around much longer than us and will probably stand long after we are gone.  I do still believe that these things need to be discussed.  If you would like I can go back and pull up the other questions that I asked so we can continue to dialog.  

11 hours ago, warrior12 said:

Hope this scripture verse satisfies your inquiry about where Paul got his authority to pen his words.

There are some in the christian circle who discredits Paul as an apostle of Jesus Christ and believes that he has made up his own scripture. They therefore don't believe he is a true apostle.  But here are Paul's  word.  

Galatians 1King James Version (KJV)

11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

I do believe this, but its funny because Paul is not talking about the letter that he wrote.  Furthermore isn't it likely that he was replying to those in Galatia concerning something they wrote to him?  How does that make his letters the word of God.  Do you not agree that can be seen as problematic?