• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

I need some clarity plz ?

What is the difference between soul and spirit and what are their roles?

Soul: our "character-essence"? 

Spirit: the "link" to communicate with God?

Thank you.

Edited by HisFirst

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

12 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

Spirit: the "link" to communicate with God?

I think you'll find in SCRIPTURE that YHWH taught the Apostles and disciples in their spirit (after they were born again),

and then gradually their minds (renewed in Y'SHUA MESSIAH) learned words for those things that YHWH taught them in spirit,

according to HIS WORD.

All through the NT ,  Y'SHUA, Yochanan the immerser, and so on,  showed that YHWH REVEALED SALVATION and everything concerning SALVATION in this life and concerning the life to come

by HIS SPIRIT - ie.  through revelation that is HIS DOING as Y"SHUA REJOICED SAYING "I PRAISE YOU FATHER ...

for revealing the truth of salvation to INFANTS(including the Apostles and disciples, grown men)

and HIDING IT FROM SCHOLARS, etc.... "  

See this clearly and simply all through the NEW TESTAMENT, and keep seeking YHWH'S KINGDOM. Never stop.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35

5 hours ago, HisFirst said:

What is the difference between soul and spirit and what are their roles?

1. Firstly there is a difference between the soul and the spirit (1 Thess 5:23; Heb 4:12).

2. The soul is the immaterial part of the individual, and the word "soul" is used in place of "person" several times in Scripture.

3. The soul is the real "you" and your body is the "tabernacle" or dwelling place of the soul.  When a person dies, the soul and spirit are separated from the body, and continue to exist (either in Heaven or in Hades).

4. The soul comprises the mind (conscious and subconscious), the will, and the emotions, and this is also termed "the heart" of man (your innermost being). The "flesh" (sinful nature) dwells within the soul or heart (Mk 7:20-23).

5. The spirit is also within the soul, but distinct from it, and because of Adam, all men are born with a soul which is alive but a spirit which is dead, because of the sin nature. 

6. The spirit is brought to life or "quickened" by the Holy Spirit at the New Birth, and He is the one who comes to indwell the spirit. This is when a person becomes capable of communing with God, and also understanding the things of the Spirit, thus becoming "spiritual".

7. From God's perspective the spirit is more significant than the soul, which is more significant than the body.  Hence the order in which they are presented in Scripture (1 Thess 5:23):

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole [1] spirit and [2] soul and [3] body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 hours ago, Ezra said:

1. Firstly there is a difference between the soul and the spirit (1 Thess 5:23; Heb 4:12).

2. The soul is the immaterial part of the individual, and the word "soul" is used in place of "person" several times in Scripture.

3. The soul is the real "you" and your body is the "tabernacle" or dwelling place of the soul.  When a person dies, the soul and spirit are separated from the body, and continue to exist (either in Heaven or in Hades).

4. The soul comprises the mind (conscious and subconscious), the will, and the emotions, and this is also termed "the heart" of man (your innermost being). The "flesh" (sinful nature) dwells within the soul or heart (Mk 7:20-23).

5. The spirit is also within the soul, but distinct from it, and because of Adam, all men are born with a soul which is alive but a spirit which is dead, because of the sin nature. 

6. The spirit is brought to life or "quickened" by the Holy Spirit at the New Birth, and He is the one who comes to indwell the spirit. This is when a person becomes capable of communing with God, and also understanding the things of the Spirit, thus becoming "spiritual".

7. From God's perspective the spirit is more significant than the soul, which is more significant than the body.  Hence the order in which they are presented in Scripture (1 Thess 5:23):

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole [1] spirit and [2] soul and [3] body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thank you for explaing that Ez?,

It has cleared up a lot of fuzziness for me - just a few more questions if you don't mind?,

- in the verse of Matthew 22v37:  He answered, “'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; 

So, is Jesus just talking about one's soul (inner self) and physical self here? 

When He spoke to the Samaritan woman at the well, He told her that a time would come when people would worship in spirit and in truth - John 4 v 24 - was that time to be after He ascended and the Holy Spirit was imparted? But yet He did also say, "the hour is coming and is now here" - did He mean now as in, because He was present in the world and was about to reveal to her His identity?

I hope this all makes sense.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, simplejeff said:

I think you'll find in SCRIPTURE that YHWH taught the Apostles and disciples in their spirit (after they were born again),

Yes, I see that.

7 hours ago, simplejeff said:

and then gradually their minds (renewed in Y'SHUA MESSIAH) learned words for those things that YHWH taught them in spirit,

according to HIS WORD.

All through the NT ,  Y'SHUA, Yochanan the immerser, and so on,  showed that YHWH REVEALED SALVATION and everything concerning SALVATION in this life and concerning the life to come

by HIS SPIRIT - ie.  through revelation that is HIS DOING as Y"SHUA REJOICED SAYING "I PRAISE YOU FATHER ...

for revealing the truth of salvation to INFANTS(including the Apostles and disciples, grown men)

and HIDING IT FROM SCHOLARS, etc.... "  

See this clearly and simply all through the NEW TESTAMENT, and keep seeking YHWH'S KINGDOM. Never stop.

Thank you SJ?

I was more focussing on an individuals spirit as opposed to the HS or God (He is spirit).

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39

21 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

I was more focussing on an individuals spirit as opposed to the HS or God (He is spirit).

Yes, good (hopefully) ,  and YHWH willing.  

See,  YHWH as we look to HIM, seeking HIM,  reveals the answer to everything concerning SALVATION (perhaps even all life)

from HIS SPIRIT to HIS children in spirit.   If you can find online a translation that shows "echad" from the original throughout TORAH, OLD TESTAMENT, PROPHETS, PSALMS and NEW TESTAMENT,   this also , being YHWH'S OWN WORD, and being how YHWH and Y'SHUA are ,  reveals much that is almost never realized in english alone(although YHWH has taught HIS children the same as if they read in Hebrew language, as HE pleases, even if they only have had an english translation). i.e. HIS revelation of truth is honestly to little children no matter if they ever were educated or learned Hebrew, Aramaic or greek or any other language at all.

HIS revelation is not dependent upon a person's abilities nor their knowledge.

HIS revelation is perfect.  (oh,   I forgot almost, but it's a good example -  "perfect" in english usually does not mean what it means in the other languages)

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35

54 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

- in the verse of Matthew 22v37:  He answered, “'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; 

So, is Jesus just talking about one's soul (inner self) and physical self here? 

Here heart = emotions, soul = entire being, mind = thought life.

56 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

John 4 v 24 - was that time to be after He ascended and the Holy Spirit was imparted? But yet He did also say, "the hour is coming and is now here" - did He mean now as in, because He was present in the world and was about to reveal to her His identity?

Yes, "the time is coming" meant after the Resurrection, after Pentecost, and after the destruction of the Temple. True worship would be then directed to the Temple in Heaven "in spirit and in truth".  As to "is now here", many believed that Jesus was the Son of God at that time, and worshiped Him as such.

1 hour ago, simplejeff said:

Yes, good (hopefully) ,  and YHWH willing.  

See,  YHWH as we look to HIM, seeking HIM,  reveals the answer to everything concerning SALVATION (perhaps even all life)

Thank you? I do try my best - quiet Bible study time in the morning - and pray for understanding, wisdom and discernment - I also seek answers (help) along the way? 

from HIS SPIRIT to HIS children in spirit.   If you can find online a translation that shows "echad" from the original throughout TORAH, OLD TESTAMENT, PROPHETS, PSALMS and NEW TESTAMENT,  

Ok, will look.

this also , being YHWH'S OWN WORD, and being how YHWH and Y'SHUA are ,  reveals much that is almost never realized in english alone(although YHWH has taught HIS children the same as if they read in Hebrew language, as HE pleases, even if they only have had an english translation). i.e. HIS revelation of truth is honestly to little children no matter if they ever were educated or learned Hebrew, Aramaic or greek or any other language at all.

HIS revelation is not dependent upon a person's abilities nor their knowledge.

HIS revelation is perfect.  (oh,   I forgot almost, but it's a good example -  "perfect" in english usually does not mean what it means in the other languages)

I have a few different versions of the Bible - I read mainly from my NKJ study Bible as well as CJB - complete Jewish Bible and various versions online when I need more expansion as well as my Bible concordance.

52 minutes ago, Ezra said:

Here heart = emotions, soul = entire being, mind = thought life.

Yes, "the time is coming" meant after the Resurrection, after Pentecost, and after the destruction of the Temple. True worship would be then directed to the Temple in Heaven "in spirit and in truth".  As to "is now here", many believed that Jesus was the Son of God at that time, and worshiped Him as such.

Thanks Ez,

I didn't realise also after the destruction of the Temple.

"In spirit and in truth" would be one and  the same? Because the HS can only reveal Truth(from God) as well as reveal our own(human) truths(thoughts etc)-revealing them to us.

12 minutes ago, eileenhat said:

I have been researching this for a time and it appears there are two opinions rather than one certainty.

Rather than become controversial (because it is...a controversy), I will say just that I do not know the truth.

In Genesis God breathes life into a living soul

"King James Bible
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Gen 2:7."

We therefore are living souls.

It does not say "God breathed life into a man who also had a soul".

I did a little research and the same hebrew word that we say in English is a 'soul' is also translated person, being etc.

Quote:

" Soul [N]

The Old Testament. The Hebrew word so rendered is nepes [v,p,n]. It appears 755 times in the Old Testament. The King James Version uses 42 different English terms to translate it."

http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/soul/

Conclusion:

It may take some more digging but one commentator says it is easier to translate the Bible if you realize there is just two parts to a human, a living soul or person and a spirit.

Which is not an opinion taught in Church doctrine, which has broken a human into three parts, person, soul, spirit.

What difference does it make?

I think the answer is we still have some investigation to do and things are not as tidy as they seem, Biblically speaking.

Hi Eileen?,

If soul = person, then God breathed life into a person and thus became living . 

Edited by HisFirst