zorgblar

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  356
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

A Christian should prayerfully examine why he/she wants to experience lucid dreaming. If the motives are pure and include an understanding of the unreliable nature of dreams, it is probably nothing more than a harmless curiosity. It if becomes more than that or involves even the smallest hint of New Age or occult practices, it should be avoided.

According to this website lucid dreaming can be good.

And in case anybody was wondering the website i went to was this one: https://www.gotquestions.org/lucid-dreaming.html

So what do you think?Is lucid dreaming good as long as you pray first? 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  244
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

14 minutes ago, zorgblar said:

A Christian should prayerfully examine why he/she wants to experience lucid dreaming. If the motives are pure and include an understanding of the unreliable nature of dreams, it is probably nothing more than a harmless curiosity. It if becomes more than that or involves even the smallest hint of New Age or occult practices, it should be avoided.

And in case anybody was wondering the website i went to was this one: https://www.gotquestions.org/lucid-dreaming.html

I think you're giving way too much power to the unconscious dream state. 

Lucid Dreama dream state in which one is conscious enough to recognize that one is inthe dream state and which stays in one's memory

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

19 minutes ago, zorgblar said:

I read that website and I couldn't find anywhere that it said that "lucid dreaming can be good".

In fact, in the first paragraph they associated lucid dreaming with the occult practices that God forbids.

The only thing I saw in your link that came even near to what you said is this quote:  " Although dreams are mentioned frequently in the Bible—God can and has used dreams to speak to people—lucid dreaming as such is never addressed. Lucid dreaming simply means being able to control your dreams. There is nothing essentially wrong with this. "

The authors of the link clearly state that being able to control your dreams has nothing "essentially" wrong with it.

That means - if it just "happens" - don't panic or think you are in sin.

The very next thing from the authors of the link was to steer Christians away from seeking out this type of dreaming as a practice.

I can't imagine for the life of me why a Christian would pray to God to have lucid dreams.  What would be its purpose, zorgblar?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Realizing one is dreaming is not a sin, which is what Frederik van Eeden coined Lucid Dreaming in his 1913 article "As Study of Dreams".  It is when one takes this Lucid Dreaming to the next level of Astral Projection that it become more or less demonic in nature as the only one who can cause one to move elsewhere in the spirit is the Holy Spirit, as He did for Phillip in Acts 8:39-40 "Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing. 40 But Philip was found at Azotus. And passing through, he preached in all the cities till he came to Caesarea."

20 minutes ago, Jayne said:

I read that website and I couldn't find anywhere that it said that "lucid dreaming can be good".

In fact, in the first paragraph they associated lucid dreaming with the occult practices that God forbids.

The only thing I saw in your link that came even near to what you said is this quote:  " Although dreams are mentioned frequently in the Bible—God can and has used dreams to speak to people—lucid dreaming as such is never addressed. Lucid dreaming simply means being able to control your dreams. There is nothing essentially wrong with this. "

The authors of the link clearly state that being able to control your dreams has nothing "essentially" wrong with it.

The very next thing from the authors of the link was to steer Christians away from seeking out this type of dreaming as a practice.

I can't imagine for the life of me why a Christian would pray to God to have lucid dreams.  What would be its purpose, zorgblar?

20 minutes ago, Jayne said:

If you read to the very bottom of the website i mentioned in my first post it says you can pray to god for lucid dreams.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I don't think one can truly practice lucid dreaming, which is what new age groups try to sell.  We ether realize we are dreaming or not.  To try to control your dreams is a new age practice, which I see as changing the definition of how the term was first coined.  Frederik van Eeden spoke about how he realized he was dreaming and took notes about his dreams.  Then, trying to change his lucid dream experience into more controlling dreams, he stepped into the realm of astral dreaming, or astral projection as it is now called.

In all honesty, if we realize we are dreaming, we did not sin, but just became aware.  Anything more is crossing the line, in my opinion.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "Lucid dreaming - what is it? Is having a lucid dream a sin?"

Answer:
A lucid dream is a dream in which the sleeper is aware that she or he is dreaming. When the dreamer is lucid, he/she can actively participate in and often manipulate the imaginary experiences in the dream environment. The term “lucid dreaming” was coined by Frederik van Eeden (1860–1932), a Dutch psychiatrist. Since that time, several books and articles have been written on the subject. Research and analysis of the causes of lucid dreams is ongoing and often strays into the area of parapsychology. Some researchers have identified a similarity between lucid dreaming, near-death experiences, transcendental meditation, out-of-body experiences, and other occult and New Age practices. God’s Word forbids these practices (Leviticus 20:27; Deuteronomy 18:10-12).

There is certainly nothing wrong with dreaming, and everyone dreams at one time or another. Some people can remember every detail of their dreams, while some remember nothing, causing them to conclude that they don’t dream at all, which is unlikely. Dreams are little more than the continued functioning of the mind during sleep, sometimes rehearsing recent thoughts and events, and sometimes creating scenarios based on fears, hopes or desires. As such, dreams are a perfectly normal function of the brain.

Although dreams are mentioned frequently in the Bible—God can and has used dreams to speak to people—lucid dreaming as such is never addressed. Lucid dreaming simply means being able to control your dreams. There is nothing essentially wrong with this. But if lucid dreaming becomes too much of a focus or an obsession, it should be avoided. For Christians, being fascinated by the concept of lucid dreaming is of little or no spiritual value and might possibly lead to an unhealthy interest in other extra-sensory phenomena. While many things are permissible for Christians, not all things are beneficial (1 Corinthians 6:12). A Christian should prayerfully examine why he/she wants to experience lucid dreaming. If the motives are pure and include an understanding of the unreliable nature of dreams, it is probably nothing more than a harmless curiosity. It if becomes more than that or involves even the smallest hint of New Age or occult practices, it should be avoided.

https://www.gotquestions.org/lucid-dreaming.html

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  99
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  12/31/1972

Question before response......

Lucid dreaming, is that the same as maybe having a vision? I have had visions in my sleep while be aware that I am not dreaming and yet I am seeing _______, while also being conscience. Other words, I am asleep but yet I am awake, BUT, I am seeing and hearing something in a dream state, yet its not a dream and Im not fully awake. JUST QUESTION NOT A DEBATE QUESTION. Everytime I have had these experiences I DID NOT seek it and GOD showed them to me (cant tell me otherwise lol)......yes I am saved sanctified and filled with the Holy Ghose been serving the my wonderful Lord for 44 yrs......so this is just a question................????:D

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, zorgblar said:

If you read to the very bottom of the website i mentioned in my first post it says you can pray to god for lucid dreams.

Brother, it says, " A Christian should prayerfully examine why he/she wants to experience lucid dreaming."

It does not say that a Christian can/should pray to God for him to give them lucid dreams.

3 hours ago, Jayne said:

Brother, it says, " A Christian should prayerfully examine why he/she wants to experience lucid dreaming."

It does not say that a Christian can/should pray to God for him to give them lucid dreams.

Your right.The person on the site probably meant to pray for why you want lucid dreams so your sure your getting it from god and not the occult.