• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  3

7 hours ago, warrior12 said:

Your main purpose for attending church has to be in your heart before you leave home, and that is to worship God. Let the rest follow as  you attend and you make decisions as you are lead.

That sounds pretty good. I agree with this.

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  3

4 hours ago, Ezra said:

As Scripture says " And the lord said unto the servant, ‘Go out into the highways and hedges and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. "

This is not as easy as read. Well, not with whom I know anyway.

Edited by HisFirst

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,681
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 3/4/2017 at 7:01 AM, HisFirst said:

Well, the people I know in my own age group wouldn't go. Most of them are atheist or agnostic and have partners or are married.

I just realized something, I'm so old that there is a gap of ages occurring for me too! Seems many my age either are the subject of funerals, or notes on the prayer list for one terminal disease or another, or just can't physically make it in to worship and services. I am now older than the oldest Sunday school group that was at this local body of Christ when I first joined.

I first knew I had reached aged status one day when we had some school parking lot and driveway  construction going on. Short on help, I was re-directing parents and their line of cars, standing in the center of the road waving my arms, pointing, etc. when some parent, a lady, jumped out  of her car, came running out and with a tender voice said to me, sir where have you come from? You shouldn't be out here in this traffic. You will get hurt with all these cars going by. Can I help you? Here let me take you to the sidewalk.

While laughing, I did wonder what must I look like to these young families, mostly baseball capped and ponytailed mom's all looking alike to me. I told her, thank you but I am supervising this crew, we just need you to stay off this fresh resurfacing so you don't ruin your car's paint. She said, are you sure? I said pretty sure, yep pretty sure. And I was, but right then I started to wonder what  am I doing out here still working having fun doing something?

That was some five years ago. I'm now part of the gap. Hey a new "gap theory", and I'm on the back side of it, the before the gap.

Anyway just think, one day  you might be  the old person too maybe wondering and praying for new blood to come into the work. It happens to many of the young. Has me anyway.

Wow! I am just being struck with the marvelous feeling of how wonderful a privilege it is, if I'm going to be on this side of the grass to still be  productive and to be able to go attend corporate worship service.

I reset some two hundred padded heavy chairs after a wedding Saturday, and prepared the sanctuary for Sunday. Our music director whom I was marveling about to myself with his dedication was rebuilding the choir and orchestra area for Sunday too. As I was thinking how wonderful, this young family man working so hard on his day off for someone's wedding. he suddenly  looked up and said to me, "You're a beast "neighbor" you're a beast!", as I was cranking along unstacking chairs stacked eight high, moving and stacking folding tables. Nothing like a compliment to the ego to keep a man moving along.

I felt good too, about it, at being still able- course yesterday,  Sunday, the day after was a four Advil day as result, but.... 

On 3/4/2017 at 7:01 AM, HisFirst said:

Well, the people I know in my own age group wouldn't go. Most of them are atheist or agnostic and have partners or are married.

Well, they may not come to church  today, but they very well may receive the specific call  from the Holy Spirit later, and as they too repent, they will be seeking out a church. Maybe some will remember you, and your asking them if they will come to church with you. Some might even find your local  church body, and say; I remember your invitation- here I am.

You are not responsible for the response of anyone you may invite, but  if they do  later hear the call from the Holy Spirit and come, won't it be so much nicer to know you had invited them so long ago? And to then realize here they are, at the right time  set by God for their repentance and worship of our creator? Could become a great blessing all around.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  209
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/4/2017 at 11:07 AM, Ezra said:

As Scripture says " And the lord said unto the servant, ‘Go out into the highways and hedges and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. "

What would our efforts to compel accomplish? Aren't people God knows to save already known to him by name? Does God compel with more power than us?

1 hour ago, tinyprayers said:

What would our efforts to compel accomplish? Aren't people God knows to save already known to him by name? Does God compel with more power than us?

From the peanut gallery: "Our" effort pleases God. Those of the flock of Jesus  have been known to God from before the beginning. He foreknew and those He foreknew He has predestined. Nonetheless we are to be obedient to His command to go into all the world with the gospel of jesus .... so tha many may be presented as mature in the Lord.

Christians are to do as commanded. We do not have any merit in of ourselves. Instead we are God's proof that the foolish things of this world will be used by Him to confound the wiser things of mankind's efforts.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

6 hours ago, tinyprayers said:

Well those questions should be addressed to Christ, since He is the one who has given that command.