cherubim

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  267
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

I often pray multiple times when I ask God to answer a specific prayer request.  In some instances I have prayed for years, and no answer came.  There is the parable of the unjust judge, which is to serve as a reminder to us to continue petitioning God for an answer until it comes.  Sometimes this seems a futile waste of energy which also brings the grief and heartbreak of unanswered prayers.  It would seem that God is cruel, when we are told in Scripture to be persistent.

I don't like when some fancy preacher showboats and insists someone's leg has grown two inches, or other unproven results.  I like to know that it was really God that answered the prayer.  I recall one time I was going through a terrible ordeal, and God didn't answer my cry for help.  I spoke with a young mother who blustered at how "God had brought their family a dog!"  That really hurt.  Here I was going through a hellish ordeal, and I'm supposed to believe that God sent a dog to that family when I had serious unmet needs?

God said He desires truth in our inmost being, and I always remind Him of this when I express how much I've been disappointed, and how I don't like the way He has let the evil in this world to continue it's downward spiral, and how I don't agree with Him that He's let evildoers off the hook.

I'd like to know how long others pray for a specific request before throwing in the towel.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  8

5 minutes ago, cherubim said:

I often pray multiple times when I ask God to answer a specific prayer request.  In some instances I have prayed for years, and no answer came.  There is the parable of the unjust judge, which is to serve as a reminder to us to continue petitioning God for an answer until it comes.  Sometimes this seems a futile waste of energy which also brings the grief and heartbreak of unanswered prayers.  It would seem that God is cruel, when we are told in Scripture to be persistent.

I don't like when some fancy preacher showboats and insists someone's leg has grown two inches, or other unproven results.  I like to know that it was really God that answered the prayer.  I recall one time I was going through a terrible ordeal, and God didn't answer my cry for help.  I spoke with a young mother who blustered at how "God had brought their family a dog!"  That really hurt.  Here I was going through a hellish ordeal, and I'm supposed to believe that God sent a dog to that family when I had serious unmet needs?

God said He desires truth in our inmost being, and I always remind Him of this when I express how much I've been disappointed, and how I don't like the way He has let the evil in this world to continue it's downward spiral, and how I don't agree with Him that He's let evildoers off the hook.

I'd like to know how long others pray for a specific request before throwing in the towel.

God is not the one who let's evil doers off the hook. You must keep in mind Satan is in charge of this realm. God is in charge of the people here in this world that have given their life to him and have accepted his son as their saviour.

Gods timing is not our timing. And the answer may not come how you would expect it to come but he always gives an answer.

Guest BacKaran

Why would anyone stop praying? God is doing miraculous things unknown to us at this time.

Please keep a prayer journal and list your prayers on one side and the date. On the other side write the date your order was answered and how it was answered.

God answered my prayers that I live another day, I have food, medicine and my Bibles along with the basic water, housing and friends and food.

Think positively not negatively. Ask God what he would have you do today for someone else. Write a letter, send a card, make a phone call or two. Take the ducks off yourself and place it back on God in thanks and praise.

My friends was a virgin and was married last year... She is 60! Did her life stop because she wanted to get married in her 20s? No, she continued to pray for a godly Man while she served the Lord they her job and church life. God was working for her in the backgrounds for decades getting the right Christian man just for her. Is 60 yrs along time to wait? Not if you're on Gods time.? Patience my friend, patience.

1 minute ago, BacKaran said:

Why would anyone stop praying? God is doing miraculous things unknown to us at this time.

Please keep a prayer journal and list your prayers on one side and the date. On the other side write the date your order was answered and how it was answered.

God answered my prayers that I live another day, I have food, medicine and my Bibles along with the basic water, housing and friends and food.

Think positively not negatively. Ask God what he would have you do today for someone else. Write a letter, send a card, make a phone call or two. Take the ducks off yourself and place it back on God in thanks and praise.

My friends was a virgin and was married last year... She is 60! Did her life stop because she wanted to get married in her 20s? No, she continued to pray for a godly Man while she served the Lord they her job and church life. God was working for her in the backgrounds for decades getting the right Christian man just for her. Is 60 yrs along time to wait? Not if you're on Gods time.? Patience my friend, patience.

I do keep a journal, exactly as you stated - with a line for the date it was answered.  If God waits until my daughter is 60, she'll never have a child.  That is too hard for me to bear.  God knows this.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

1 hour ago, cherubim said:

I think people misunderstand the parable of unjust judge. It is not to say we should keep praying to God until He answers the prayer the way we want. We need to keep praying until there is an answer to the prayer. It is not to remind God that He needs to take some action. It is a reminder for ourselves on our dependence on God. And without Him we can do nothing. Some times the wait is long or very long. Some times God says No.

For some the path in this side of life is a difficult one. Imagine lives of different prophets. God chose them and made them do things which would have made their life miserable! Imagine being Hosea? Marry a prostitute and keep paying to bring her back. He did not do anything wrong. Lord chose him to show Israel a lesson. Hosea was probably one of the very few God fearing people at that time. As per the theology of many faith preachers, Hosea should have lived a life of luxury and got everything he wanted. No, it was not the case. He suffered and all the evil people were living a life of pleasure.

Why? There is no answer to "why". At least not while we are in this world. We do not understand everything that's happening. We are only called to trust and have faith in Him, who knows everything. And Who does everything for our good. While it may not look like good in short term, it would all work out for good in long run.

45 minutes ago, ravindran said:

I think people misunderstand the parable of unjust judge. It is not to say we should keep praying to God until He answers the prayer the way we want. We need to keep praying until there is an answer to the prayer. It is not to remind God that He needs to take some action. It is a reminder for ourselves on our dependence on God. And without Him we can do nothing. Some times the wait is long or very long. Some times God says No.

For some the path in this side of life is a difficult one. Imagine lives of different prophets. God chose them and made them do things which would have made their life miserable! Imagine being Hosea? Marry a prostitute and keep paying to bring her back. He did not do anything wrong. Lord chose him to show Israel a lesson. Hosea was probably one of the very few God fearing people at that time. As per the theology of many faith preachers, Hosea should have lived a life of luxury and got everything he wanted. No, it was not the case. He suffered and all the evil people were living a life of pleasure.

Why? There is no answer to "why". At least not while we are in this world. We do not understand everything that's happening. We are only called to trust and have faith in Him, who knows everything. And Who does everything for our good. While it may not look like good in short term, it would all work out for good in long run.

That's an intelligent take on it.  I suppose God will make things clear in His time.  I hit times where I've prayed for things so many times, and the answer hasn't come, so I wonder if I should I keep praying, or decide that I've prayed enough?  It's a stumbling block, and I'm unsure of the answer.  Nothing jumps out at me as the right action to take.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

1 hour ago, cherubim said:

That's an intelligent take on it.  I suppose God will make things clear in His time.  I hit times where I've prayed for things so many times, and the answer hasn't come, so I wonder if I should I keep praying, or decide that I've prayed enough?  It's a stumbling block, and I'm unsure of the answer.  Nothing jumps out at me as the right action to take.

You are right. God will make things clear in His time. No where in the Bible we see the concept of over praying. Or stop praying after a threshold. There is nothing like that. Bible encourages us the opposite way. Keep on praying. keep on asking. Pray without ceasing. We should keep praying until God makes it very clear that we need to stop. It only happen when we ask something against His will. God will make it clear in such cases to stop! Because we are on wrong track

And many times God would simply say "My grace is sufficient for you". When you pray and cry out to Lord, you will see Lord embracing you and holding you in His arms. You may not see the answer you wan't. But you will see the love of God in a way you have never seen before. That's my personal experience. And then eventually God would do things in His time and in His perfect ways

I will share testimony. After having first child, we planned another child. My wife had 2 miscarriages. She was totally heart broken after second one. She got afraid that she would never have a successful pregnancy. She asked the question "Why God would let this happen?". Why her prayers were not answered. Many said we are weak in faith. Many said devil is causing havoc and we need pray more. Many said it is generational curses. I was the only source of hope for her. I still remember those conversations. I made it clear to her that I don't know why. But God is in control. He does not ignore every tear we drop. He gave His life for us when we did not even love Him. Would he keep ignoring our prayers now? Those are the times I felt closest to Lord. Through so many ways God ministered to us. Spoke to us. Comforted us. We felt like He was right with us, going through the situation. Eventually Lord blessed us with another baby and she is a healthy 1.5 years old baby now :)

The point is, God is hearing your cry. God is grieving along with you. And He is saying "My grace is sufficient for you". Why He is letting you go through? Only He knows.

I'm glad it worked out for you.  It's a hard thing - knowing God's Word is true, yet facing unanswered prayer.  I don't know what the right attitude to take is.  I guess time will tell.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

The Bible says to never stop praying. So If I am going through a particularly difficult time I pray often about it and wait for God's timing. God answers our prayers as yes, no or wait on that I have something better planned. God does not answer our prayers in our timing but in His timing. So we have to just sit back and have faith and trust knowing that God knows best for our lives and will answer our prayer according to His will and the plan He has for us. We have to stop controlling our life and give it to God.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

The devotional Streams In The Desert" was written by a woman being held in a Japanese prison camp.  Many people died there.  But God gave her encouragement and illustrations during that time that gave her hope.  

One was of a needle point.  All she could see was the under side of the work.  Strings crisscrossed everywhere in a confusing maze.  She could not see the work of God on the other side which was so beautiful and precise.  

The point was that just because we can't see what God is doing to make our lives beautiful and answer our prayers, it doesn't mean that He is not working toward that end.  Once when I had prayed for 5 years for something and it was finally answered, I realized that God had been using the time to change me.   

God's timing is perfect.  Remember Lazarus?  His sister came to Jesus and said Oh if you had only come sooner.  It's too late.  He is dead.  So Jesus raised the dead.  He is never too late.  

Remember to read the Psalms.  61:   Hear my cry O God, attend unto my prayer.  From the ends of the earth will I cry unto Thee.  When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I.