• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, BacKaran said:

Why do you have membership? Is it required and if so why?

It took years to find a place that lifted the Word of God as central in body life and personal life. People that love the Lord and love one another. And they have membership, at first I figured I'd never actually officially join. They turn no one away and don't press for membership, at the moment there is an ex-con who came out of a prison ministry that's been around for a few years.

I attended for more than three years before I spoke to someone about it and another year meeting with pastors with one meeting more regularly than the others. What I found interesting was membership was not so much making a commitment to a local body of believers, which it is, but the body making a commitment to you. They really do love the Lord.

The issues of life style and other doctrinal practices are discussed during the meetings so everyone is on the same page. Politics was never directly brought up.  Any disagreements are brought to the light so discussion can be enriched and growth in our walk can be achieved. Each pastor was interested in listening more to find what God may have in purpose for me and how best they can be used in discipleship on my behalf. Their perspective was a manner of responsibility for someone believing God was calling them to be a part of their body. Really a humbling experience and I found myself to be far more judgemental than I had anticipated them to be.

Membership is not a requirement to attend or participate in activities, bible studies, home groups, picnics etc. but to serve in any capacity in a form of leadership or teaching Sunday school or being a part of discussion as to ministry outreach and missions discussion or voicing opinion on say how we handle communion and other topics of possible debate, that's for members and can be and encouraged to be brought up at members meetings.

It seems to work pretty well, nothing is perfect of coarse. But to see brothers and sisters working together and serving one another even if they don't like the way communion is done or a hundred other topics that can be raised to cause division but don't is wonderful. We do have a limited time in this place and it seems we sometimes forget that.

I for one never thought I'd be a former member of a church and was a negative one for church organization not very long ago. But in His patience and mercy He's proven me wrong again.

Edited by Zemke

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I would not stay at a church that excluded anyone.  

If Jesus can eat with the sinners I can worship with them 

Guest BacKaran

What's your denomination? I attend non-denominational and we use the biblical elder model for our pastors and deacons.

The only people who leave our church are those who get convicted and can't handle it. 

• Group:  Members
  • Content Count:  21

2 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Bryan, I am a bit confused with the remarrying teaching :what is Biblical and not.

I thought the Biblical version was you CAN re-marry if the ex has passed.

But to bar someone from attending church or a Christian group because their ex is still alive is not something I could see Jesus doing.

Scripture says that, unless the spouse is deceased, you are committing adultery if you are remarried. Divorce is permitted, but not encouraged in situations of sexual immorality (God says He hates it - Malachi 2:16 and Jesus said it was permitted only because of "hardness of hearts" - a sinful state in itself) but remarriage is not permitted. (Per Jesus in Matthew 5)

I totally agree with your last sentence. Banning someone from church because of sin?? Isn't that where you would want them to be? There's no such thing as a sinless person attending church. I would never be part of a church that tells anyone they are not welcome.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

2 hours ago, Logan said:

I hope you don't actually believe he is less guilty because all he did was watch because that's honestly what that sounds like. 

Not at all.  I find it interesting the church decided his wife and children should be banned from the church as well as himself.   

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

2 minutes ago, Constian said:

Banning someone from church because of sin?? Isn't that where you would want them to be?

What does GOD'S WORD say to do with anyone who claims to be a brother,  yet refuses to repent even after being warned or chastised ? 

Why does GOD say to put the wickedness out of the assembly ?

• Group:  Members
  • Content Count:  21

Just now, simplejeff said:

What does GOD'S WORD say to do with anyone who claims to be a brother,  yet refuses to repent even after being warned or chastised ? 

Why does GOD say to put the wickedness out of the assembly ?

Agree - but I thought the issue was banning people with sin in their lives to attend services. Anyone and everyone should be welcome in the church doors. Especially since everyone else in there is a sinner.

Now, people who are heck-bent on troublemaking, or unrepentant and proud of it, of course they cannot be allowed to disrupt the church.

But "banning" someone because they are remarried? What good does that do? Many made that choice before they understood it to be sin, what are they supposed to do once God has convicted them? Divorce again? How does banning them from church help or show the love, forgiveness and compassion of Jesus?

7 minutes ago, Constian said:

Agree - but I thought the issue was banning people with sin in their lives to attend services.

The issue is what to do with someone who does not repent of sin. 

People with sin in their lives , seeking to have fellowship and union with JESUS,

will do what JESUS says - turn to GOD (repent).

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

3 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

The issue, the choice, as always, is whether to do what GOD the CREATOR says,  or what some other god says.

SJ,

I understood it as if the brother in Christ has been shown the error of his ways but continues to sin, then leave him alone - have nothing to do with him.

1 minute ago, HisFirst said:

SJ,

I understood it as if the brother in Christ has been shown the error of his ways but continues to sin, then leave him alone - have nothing to do with him.

Yes.