• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  956
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,609
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

The got Questions ministry- What is it about, why would one quote them as a stand alone authority for a position on Bible, on theology in general?

The ministry itself states the 4300 articles come from multiple sources, and are anonymous for reason.

Basically they are all opinion, opinions of men, and perhaps women too. The ministry states one should use it as an aid  then search the Bible. From this "resource" comes this guidance:

...(5) We would rather our answers not be accepted or rejected based on who wrote them. We want people to compare our answers with Scripture and accept or reject what we publish based on that comparison.

(6) An author’s byline is unnecessary. The reference information given on our citation page is sufficient without the author’s name in virtually every setting, academia included.

Ultimately, as the president and CEO of the ministry, S. Michael Houdmann is accountable for the content of our website.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I see it as a quick answer/reference.  If what they say agrees with your faith/theology, it is much easier to just cut and paste than it is to type the answer out yourself in your own words.  It can also be used for those who chose not to do their own study, but just take the word of someone else, sort of like just taking a preachers word instead of being like the Bereans.

Since the ministry itself states  it has multiple unnamed authors contributing to it's bank of Answers, and tells readers to search the Bible for understanding, I think it is best for me to heed their advice- read the Bible  giving their ministry credit for their opinion, but not as the source of all absolute truth based upon opinions of men and women they have assimulated.

I also think it should be made very clear every time an article under the banner of Got Questions is posted, that it should be carefully  placed in quotes and that they are clearly labeled by their name as the presenters of the information. 

I use Got Questions, I much appreciate their ministry! I also think it a commentary resource  among many resources, and not the Bible. They seem to me to agree that we should be holding the writers to account by considering them  in comparison to  the Bible using our own prayer with thought. -And not just parroting them,  would be my addition to their statemant.

Edited by Neighbor

15 minutes ago, OneLight said:

I see it as a quick answer/reference.  If what they say agrees with your faith/theology, it is much easier to just cut and paste than it is to type the answer out yourself in your own words.  It can also be used for those who chose not to do their own study, but just take the word of someone else, sort of like just taking a preachers word instead of being like the Bereans.

Hi, we were posting at the same time. 

Sure it is easier to copy / paste, but I can look up and read from just the title myself if that is all that is going to be presented.

I sure appreciate  it when a poster adds their own present day thought on the subjects they post about.

I also much appreciate  Bible verse references  within those posts for they alert my mind  to what they are presenting, and I can then be greatly aided in study by their kindness of being so extra thorough in their presentation.

Edited by Neighbor

18 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Since the ministry itself states  it has multiple unnamed authors contributing to it's bank of Answers, and tells readers to search the Bible for understanding, I think it is best for me to heed their advice- read the Bible  giving their ministry credit for their opinion, but not as the source of all absolute truth based upon opinions of men and women they have assimulated.

I also think it should be made very clear every time an article under the banner of Got Questions is posted, that it should be carefully  placed in quotes and that they are clearly labeled by their name as the presenters of the information. 

I use Got Questions, I much appreciate their ministry! I also think it a commentary resource  among many resources, and not the Bible. They seem to me to agree that we should be holding the writers to account by considering them  in comparison to  the Bible using our own prayer with thought. -And not just parroting them,  would be my addition to their statemant.

I agree that they are a commentary as they explain their theology using scripture, just like we do when we post. 

I understand what you are saying about people quoting them as if they are 100% correct in their understanding of applying scripture.  This bothers me as nobody is 100% correct but God Himself.  Throughout scripture we are told to study to show ourselves approved, search the scriptures to see if what we hear is truth, and to be sure of our faith.  This can only be done if we personally study scripture, not by taking a pastors word or some internet sites word.  When people do that, to me, this only shows that they are not willing to take the time and effort to study themselves, and this saddens me as this is how people can be led astray.

Guest shiloh357
51 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

The got Questions ministry- What is it about, why would one quote them as a stand alone authority for a position on Bible, on theology in general?

The ministry itself states the 4300 articles come from multiple sources, and are anonymous for reason.

Basically they are all opinion, opinions of men, and perhaps women too. The ministry states one should use it as an aid  then search the Bible. From this "resource" comes this guidance:

...(5) We would rather our answers not be accepted or rejected based on who wrote them. We want people to compare our answers with Scripture and accept or reject what we publish based on that comparison.

(6) An author’s byline is unnecessary. The reference information given on our citation page is sufficient without the author’s name in virtually every setting, academia included.

Ultimately, as the president and CEO of the ministry, S. Michael Houdmann is accountable for the content of our website.

I don't think anything about quoting them, though I rarely use them.   But sometimes, I find and quote a source that addresses the issue better than I could and articulates it so well, that there is no reason to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. 

8 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

I don't think anything about quoting them, though I rarely use them.   But sometimes, I find and quote a source that addresses the issue better than I could and articulates it so well, that there is no reason to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. 

Yes, but I will rather ride with four wheels under me than one. 

If I am to say just ask Got Questions then fine, no need to ever ask  of one another another question, nor add a personal thought, nor the result of any personal study.

PLUS- There is the personal benefit found in the discipline of  writing one's own  compilation of resources into an attempt at coherent thought with reasoning and prayer put down as a record for self perusal and questioning.

I conclude that I grow more in the harder effort of some original work of my own, though it may be far poorer in reasoning, in style, in  even grammar, than that which professional writers put together. What I take time to formulate does penetrate the walls of the canyons of my mind. That practice makes for easier application when the time comes for that too.

Guest shiloh357
43 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Yes, but I will rather ride with four wheels under me than one. 

If I am to say just ask Got Questions then fine, no need to ever ask  of one another another question, nor add a personal thought, nor the result of any personal study.

PLUS- There is the personal benefit found in the discipline of  writing one's own  compilation of resources into an attempt at coherent thought with reasoning and prayer put down as a record for self perusal and questioning.

I conclude that I grow more in the harder effort of some original work of my own, though it may be far poorer in reasoning, in style, in  even grammar, than that which professional writers put together. What I take time to formulate does penetrate the walls of the canyons of my mind. That practice makes for easier application when the time comes for that too.

If I were writing a paper for a Bible study, that would be one thing and I would not use got questions for that purpose.  But to simply cite a source on a message board, that's different.   Most people don't have the time to sit down and spend an hour or two composing something for this board, and then spend additional time editing and proof reading it.

Citing Got Questions isn't done to replace thoughtful study, but to simply provide a source that articulates your position in  a way that either you can't or simply don't have the time to compose.  

As long as it is given proper attribution, I don't see the problem.

Edited to add:  It is also worth pointing out that Got Questions does support their views with Scripture.  They offer several links to Scripture in their responses.   I have found them to be a sensible, conservative source.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86

I use them and mostly have agreed. Every once in a while I personally have not agreed with something they wrote, but that doesn't mean they were wrong in their interpretation. It could have been me that was wrong. Yikes!  Say it ain't so! 

I wold say that my concerns derives from scripture where we are told to always be ready to give a reason for our faith/beliefs.  If we do not do our own studies, how can He bring scripture back to our memory?  If someone who just pulled pages off this site to answer questions were asked in person the very same question, without a computer, would they be able to give an answer?  This is my concern.

As everyone here has stated, I use them from time to time, if what they state agrees with my stance on the subject, but I so not hold what they post the same as scripture.  In other words, I don't agree with everything they have to say.