• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

28 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Facebook is a sick place to begin with.  There should be rules that live streaming is not allowed and only reviewed material is acceptable.  That would take common sense, something those who run Facebook lack dearly.

I so agree.  Maybe a public campaign to end this live streaming with vetting is called for.  I need to check into that.

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, OneLight said:

Facebook is a sick place to begin with.  There should be rules that live streaming is not allowed and only reviewed material is acceptable.  That would take common sense, something those who run Facebook lack dearly.

So glad I'm not on Fb.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Alright let me be the dissenter here...

But the last thing Facebook should do is censor everything. Yes, this was a sick event, and the guy killed someone. That's not right. But, the thing is taking away live streaming wouldn't have prevented it. And it was taken down. 

Facebook is a tool, like anything else. A great many people use live streaming for positive things, from visiting with family to preaching. It is simply software, as good as, or as evil, as the people using it. It is I'm itself morally neutral. 

And over censorship will do nothing but cause the company to lose money. There is no reason to punish everyone, for the actions of a few. This kind of mentality of "add more rules every time something wrong happens" is what got the US into the state it's in now, where we got more rules on the book then we need, government agencies spying on us, etc, and may very well lead us to a police state.

Common sense would be to remove the video as soon as it was discovered by moderators and send the info to the police, which as far as I can tell is exactly what happened here.

Keep in mind yes it was up for 3 hours, but I don't see any info as to how many views it had, and even then a lot of people will view something before realizing what it is. And Facebook moderators, like worthy, can't be everywhere at once, 3 hours isn't actually that long of a response time if you think about it. I've seen Facebook take a better part of two days before reviewing material I've reported.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.68
  • Days Won:  25

5 hours ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

But the last thing Facebook should do is censor everything. Yes, this was a sick event, and the guy killed someone. That's not right. But, the thing is taking away live streaming wouldn't have prevented it. And it was taken down. 

Facebook is a tool, like anything else. A great many people use live streaming for positive things, from visiting with family to preaching. It is simply software, as good as, or as evil, as the people using it. It is I'm itself morally neutral. 

And over censorship will do nothing but cause the company to lose money. There is no reason to punish everyone, for the actions of a few. This kind of mentality of "add more rules every time something wrong happens" is what got the US into the state it's in now, where we got more rules on the book then we need, government agencies spying on us, etc, and may very well lead us to a police state.

Common sense would be to remove the video as soon as it was discovered by moderators and send the info to the police, which as far as I can tell is exactly what happened here.

Keep in mind yes it was up for 3 hours, but I don't see any info as to how many views it had, and even then a lot of people will view something before realizing what it is. And Facebook moderators, like worthy, can't be everywhere at once, 3 hours isn't actually that long of a response time if you think about it. I've seen Facebook take a better part of two days before reviewing material I've reported.

I agree with this fully

Guest shiloh357
5 hours ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

But the last thing Facebook should do is censor everything.

I don't think anyone said that, but that there should be some vetting.   What should have happened is that it should have been vetted and immediately turned into the police and simply not allowed.  

9 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

No kidding; he is likely to do it again.  Things just seem to get worse as time goes on:(

I am not really sure things are worse, we just know more about what is going on in our world.   20 years ago a murder in Cleveland would have made the local news, maybe, and those not living in the area would never have known about it

3 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

I don't think anyone said that, but that there should be some vetting.   What should have happened is that it should have been vetted and immediately turned into the police and simply not allowed.  

It is physically impossible for Facebook to vet every live stream, and to disallow livestreaming would be a form of censorship that punishes the innocent for the actions of the guilty. In part, Facebook relies on its members to report these things and then they act on them.  They also have people and algorithms looking for things like this and they act when they are round. 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

6 hours ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

Yes, it is a tool.  Streaming is not the question nor is our freedoms.  Non-vetted streaming is.  If they were vetted first, then the police would be notified much sooner and would save people the shock they get if they accidentally stumble upon such videos.  The more Facebook allows such actions, more of these kinds of streams will appear.  Where does one draw a line?

1 minute ago, OneLight said:

Yes, it is a tool.  Streaming is not the question nor is our freedoms.  Non-vetted streaming is.  If they were vetted first, then the police would be notified much sooner and would save people the shock they get if they accidentally stumble upon such videos.  The more Facebook allows such actions, more of these kinds of streams will appear.  Where does one draw a line?

If they are all vetted, they are no longer live, which kind of defeats the purpose of "live streaming".   I have heard that there are upto a half a million new live video feeds per day on Facebook.  Of those less than a one a day appear to be of this nature, why let the actions of a tiny, tiny percent of the people dictate what the rest get to do?

When do we stop punishing the innocent for the actions of the guilty?  I went to by some Allegra D a couple days ago and was turned away because I had bought too much, which appears to be very small number, due to people using it to make meth.  My household has 3 people that were taking it, so a box of 20 pills taken by 3 people last less than a week.   But due to the actions of a few people it is actually harder to buy this medicine than it is to get a gun at WalMart. 

Where does one draw a line on punishing the innocent for the actions of the guilty. 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

2 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

If they are all vetted, they are no longer live, which kind of defeats the purpose of "live streaming".   I have heard that there are upto a half a million new live video feeds per day on Facebook.  Of those less than a one a day appear to be of this nature, why let the actions of a tiny, tiny percent of the people dictate what the rest get to do?

When do we stop punishing the innocent for the actions of the guilty?  I went to by some Allegra D a couple days ago and was turned away because I had bought too much, which appears to be very small number, due to people using it to make meth.  My household has 3 people that were taking it, so a box of 20 pills taken by 3 people last less than a week.   But due to the actions of a few people it is actually harder to buy this medicine than it is to get a gun at WalMart. 

Where does one draw a line on punishing the innocent for the actions of the guilty. 

The only thing lost here is a few seconds.  With some internet connections, they would never know the difference.  At any rate, live is never live in the true sense of the word.  There are always delays when it comes to transferring a video to the monitor of others.  The only true "live" is if you are there in person.

My question would be is keeping people safe from viewing such hate worth a few seconds of a persons life?  I would hope so, otherwise, priority is placed on the ability to "live stream" something above safety.