HisFirst

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  311
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

I posted this in its own thread so it wouldn't get lost. The fear is over. He killed himself today. Four hours ago according to the MSN report appearance.  God have mercy.

Erie PA 4 hours ago MSN Article

ERIE, Pa. (AP) — The man who randomly killed a Cleveland retiree and posted video of the crime on Facebook shot himself to death in his car Tuesday during a police chase in Pennsylvania, ending a multistate manhunt less than 48 hours after it began.

Edited by JoshuasonFlower

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

Yes, he was recognised at a MacDonalds drive thru and 911 was called.

Guest shiloh357
On 4/17/2017 at 6:05 AM, Running Gator said:

It is physically impossible for Facebook to vet every live stream, and to disallow livestreaming would be a form of censorship that punishes the innocent for the actions of the guilty. In part, Facebook relies on its members to report these things and then they act on them.  They also have people and algorithms looking for things like this and they act when they are round. 

Oh, they don't seem to have a problem finding and censoring conservative stuff on Facebook.   Conservative postings are regularly censored.  But some reason, when it comes to actual hate speech or some wacko, that posts something like this guy did or some Muslim promoting violence, they just don't have the man hours or the staffing required to find and take down such things.   So I don't buy the argument that they just don't have the resources for that.  They have the resources to shut down what they disagree with all of the time, and they are quite efficient when they want to be.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.68
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

Oh, they don't seem to have a problem finding and censoring conservative stuff on Facebook.   Conservative postings are regularly censored.  But some reason, when it comes to actual hate speech or some wacko, that posts something like this guy did or some Muslim promoting violence, they just don't have the man hours or the staffing required to find and take down such things.   So I don't buy the argument that they just don't have the resources for that.  They have the resources to shut down what they disagree with all of the time, and they are quite efficient when they want to be.

Two things at play here.

First, the video was taken down in less than 3 hours, which I doubt much disappears too much faster than that.

Second, my feed is filled with all sorts of conservative stuff.  There is so much of it that it is part of the reason I don't have an issue with the article from a different thread dealing with how some Christians view Trump as some sort of savior.  

1 hour ago, Running Gator said:

Two things at play here.

First, the video was taken down in less than 3 hours, which I doubt much disappears too much faster than that.

Second, my feed is filled with all sorts of conservative stuff.  There is so much of it that it is part of the reason I don't have an issue with the article from a different thread dealing with how some Christians view Trump as some sort of savior.  

3 hrs- that's a lot of views.

The time is now somewhat of a discrepancy I think, from 20 minutes after it was uploaded, FB hq knew about it to now being removed less than 3 hours ....what's true??

1 minute ago, HisFirst said:

3 hrs- that's a lot of views.

The time is now somewhat of a discrepancy I think, from 20 minutes after it was uploaded, FB hq knew about it to now being removed less than 3 hours ....what's true??

How many views depends on how many friends he has on Facebook and if any of them shared it.  

The timeline is a bit confusing.  First it was reported that it was live streamed, which it was not.  The three hours is also what was originally reported, so that may well be incorrect as well. 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

On 4/17/2017 at 9:30 AM, Running Gator said:

This is where I think you and I fundamentally disagree.  I do not think it is on Facebook to not allow this to happen, any more than I believe it is the responsibility of the manufacture of the gun used to not allow their gun to be used to kill someone. 

Facebook has offered a tool that 99.9% of the people use correctly and they have things in place to try and stop the rest.  It is not a perfect system, but it should not need to be.  

It seems to me you are taking the responsibility away from the ones committing these actions and placing it on Facebook.

Yes, we do disagree.  Facebook is a platform someone owns to make money, a business.  It is their responsibility to monitor what it allows on their website just as we are responsible for what is allowed on ours.  Gun manufactures do not monitor what people do with their product, and trying to compare the two is very weak.

Each person is responsible for their own actions, and in some cased, their non-action.  Facebook's profit for 2011 is over 1 Billion dollars.  It's not like they don't have the ability to upgrade their site and hire people to moderate what is being streamed.  I see being proactive far better than being reactive in this case.

9 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

How many views depends on how many friends he has on Facebook and if any of them shared it.  

The timeline is a bit confusing.  First it was reported that it was live streamed, which it was not.  The three hours is also what was originally reported, so that may well be incorrect as well. 

I'm not on fb so not really up to speed with it all, but if his profile is open to anyone, possibly many many views of it in that time and also, why call it live stream when it wasn't? I don't get that. 

The whole thing is just outrageous(the vid he posted).

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Running Gator said:

Two things at play here.

A lot of the stuff that is on my feed is shared stuff from sites I have not liked or follow.   I don't expect FB to be able to stop anything like that.    But they  do censor stuff from actual conservative sites that are on FB.   And they would not be taking anything down from Muslim terrorist  sites had the government not got involved in trying to stop the terrorist organizations like ISIS from recruiting through FB. So they can do it; they have the man power to do it.

If it is something they disagree with, they delete it pretty fast; it doesn't stay up for hours.   FB is a privately owned business and are not necessarily bound, or obligated to the free speech laws of our Constitution, unfortunately.

25 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Yes, we do disagree.  Facebook is a platform someone owns to make money, a business.  It is their responsibility to monitor what it allows on their website just as we are responsible for what is allowed on ours.  Gun manufactures do not monitor what people do with their product, and trying to compare the two is very weak.

Each person is responsible for their own actions, and in some cased, their non-action.  Facebook's profit for 2011 is over 1 Billion dollars.  It's not like they don't have the ability to upgrade their site and hire people to moderate what is being streamed.  I see being proactive far better than being reactive in this case.

I do not think that FaceBook has a moral or ethical responsibility to monitor what it allows on their website.  As you said they are a business and their responsibility is to making money,  that is the purpose of a business.  Allowing these kinds videos would be bad for their business so they remove them, along with other things they see as bad for business.  From the post on my facebook feed, most people feel they acted fast enough, so I do not think they will make any changes.