A sense of irony

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I think what SJ is getting at is that we don't do enough for the poor and needy in our own back yard.

Sure, we give money away . . . but how many people would rather have "our hands and our feet" rather than our green?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What I got out of his statement is that we dont talk about the other stuff enough. That isnt the same as we dont do enough for the other people in need. In my personal life outside worthy, I talk about the native american and homeless far more than I have ever mentioned the Schiavo case. I have talked about the genocide in Sudan and Tibet far more too. Just because I dont talk about it here, doesnt make me indifferent to it. I have only talked about Terri because 1) the immediacy of it, 2) and how it is a part of prophecy and will likely set part of the stage for the end, as far as I can tell.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

True . . .

But the church as a whole?

Are we out in force to sustain the poor and needy around us?

No, not everyone can be a "Mother Theresa." And no, one person can't do everything. And sure we all have our busy lives we are trying to manage. I know I'm sure struggling with this!

But, if a survey were to be taken among Christians as to whether or not they were individually involved with helping the poor and needy, what do you see the results being?

I don't see it coming out too great. :huh:

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

There have been more topics started on saving Terri from forced starvation than there are about the millions who are starving in Africa...more letters have been written to legislators about this case than there have about increasing aid to help orphans who were orphaned by genocidal maniacs.

I am not saying that our efforts are misplaced...we should fight to save Terri's life. Could it be though that we are over zealous on certain causes and apathetic on the general calling of all believers?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. But I am one where I believe there are people right in our own country who need our help and are not getting it. I have seen kids living in third world conditions right here in the United States. Kids who go to bed hungry, have to walk miles for water that they have to boil first. Who live in cars and whos health is so bad because of malnutrition it's criminal. I think we need to pay attention to our people first. There are over a million veterans who are homless, don't we own them something? In short I"m tired of taking care of the rest of the world whole our country is in need of help. It may sound harsh but our people should come first.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  279
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/30/1965

I agree. But I am one where I believe there are people right in our own country who need our help and are not getting it. I have seen kids living in third world conditions right here in the United States. Kids who go to bed hungry, have to walk miles for water that they have to boil first. Who live in cars and whos health is so bad because of malnutrition it's criminal. I think we need to pay attention to our people first. There are over a million veterans who are homless, don't we own them something? In short I"m tired of taking care of the rest of the world whole our country is in need of help. It may sound harsh but our people should come first.

Thank You and AMEN!

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I am one where I believe there are people right in our own country who need our help and are not getting it.  I have seen kids living in third world conditions right here in the United States.  Kids who go to bed hungry, have to walk miles for water that they have to boil first.  Who live in cars and whos health is so bad because of malnutrition it's criminal.  I think we need to pay attention to our people first. 

And I lived in such an area. I saw people whose life spans were shortened by decades because they live in abominable conditions. Ive seen the difference in them medically when they are able to finally get one of the few decent tribal homes in the area. People think it doesnt happen in the US, but it does. It seems that no one cares about the native american, especially since it is never discussed any more, but they live in terrible third world conditions. They are our own citizens, but not too popular politically. Not enough to warrant any politician's attention, or the attention of anyone else it seems.

/rant

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Days Won:  0

I think what SJ is getting at is that we don't do enough for the poor and needy in our own back yard.

Sure, we give money away . . . but how many people would rather have "our hands and our feet" rather than our green?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand that point as well!

Just having seen some of SJ's other posts, I know the issue of Christians being actual hands and feet in this world is very stron on his heart, so I can see why he would look at the situation this way.

I do not believe he is against the fight to save Terri's life.

I interpret his emphasis being on wanting us to move on to other areas as well.

Make sense?

Exactly. This isn't an either/or situation..it's both! Should Terri be fought for? Absolutely! But so should others who cannot fight for themselves. That's his point. Of course, ppl around here are eager to argue, so they'd rather pick apart what he said and find a point of conflict, rather than see his intent and bless him in his challenge for believers to rise up.

Exactly! :huh: