Tyler Perry plays

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

Any fans in here?  Im a growing playwrite and liver of theatre  and I used to like watchibg them for ideas I how to do Christian plays. But as time  went on I noticed a drastic  downward spiral. Not only in story quality but moral quality.

They started and still do have Christian  themes and the bible is referenced  but also there's. 

1) blatant usage of marijuana by characters. Said character happily and openly talks about smoking it and either growing it or buying it from a dealer. This drug use is used for comedy and they have no consequences. Mind you thing has nada to do with the plot ie they could be cut and not change the story.

2. An oversexed elderly character  who still think  they can seduce young men and agressively  makes alot of innuendos to them. Said character often was a prostitute  or stripper and openly and happily reference to it. Agakn none of which is relevent to the plot.

3. A person pointed out also that there's something  fundamentally wrong with a christian themed play with  a man frequently cross dressing. 

4Onto the movies, the last one was about Halloween... yeah. Movies which started out about Christian themes and morals and up have a Halloween theme...

Isn't it was to see something starting out a bit positive  spiralling so badly

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.67
  • Days Won:  25

His sense of humor is very different than mine and as such I have never seen a one of his movies.   I had no idea he was making anything that was supposed to be "Christian themed".

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I don't think he is cross dressing Madea is not a man who is dressing like a woman - the character is a masculine woman who has lived life as a thug, but she isn't a thug any more becase she is suppose to be a sweet old lady while she made bad choices she has compassion that people who like to act hyper-spiritual don't necessarily show - so her character can be very comedic. In fact, Madea isn't a Christian - at least not from what I understand - she is poking fun at a lot of stereotypes.

I wouldn't categorize Tyler Perry's movies as edifying in fact most of them show religious people living life in America specifically showing an African American perspective, not a Christian Movie (in my opinion) - but it is like most movies. In fact I can't remember a Tyler Perry movie that overtly spoke of the Love of Jesus and his gift of salvation.... so I do agree that Bible believing movies are very rare, but The War Room - not produced by Tyler Perry but Alex Kendrick , Stephen Kendrick and Gary Wheeler ( while I have not watched it yet) has had such positive reviews and it really encouraged many people to trust God in new ways with their prayers, petitions and supplications as the Bible encourages.

So while I agree with you, I think that we need to be aware that Christianity isn't about people who go to church, but it is about people who have a God who is not ashamed of us and made a way for us to identify with him by dying on the Cross and being resurrected so that we are no longer clothed in sin but the righteousness of Jesus who gave it all - his life, blood, and broken body to give us an abundant life. I pray that you will be guided by the true creator to write plays that ignite hearts on fire for his Kingdom.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  907

I'd pick other than a Transvestite as a mentor for becoming a play right. How about children's plays? Educate them while they're young. :) 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273

That was when I now started out. But as the morality and the quality  plummeted my mind turned from it

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

Tyler Perry has done some good films (when he isn't Madea), but the Madea character irks me. Perry confessed on the 700 Club that his father sexually and physically abused him over and over. My concern is Madea is some kind of strange fruit from that relationship.