• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

3 hours ago, Butero said:

What it means when it says we are to avoid the appearance of evil is that we don't intentionally do things that will harm our testimony.  Jesus didn't harm his testimony by talking to the woman at the well.  People were likely surprised he would be willing to have a conversation with her, but that was because most were prideful and considered themselves "too good" to be seen in the company of a sinner.  That is not an appearance of evil.  An appearance of evil would be to go into her bedroom and close the door and have that conversation with her.  Talking with her openly in a public place was not an appearance of evil.  

The appearance of something, including if it appears evil is all in the eye of the beholder.   You do not think it is possible that people saw from the distance Jesus speaking with a woman on her fifth husband (if I remember correctly) and started to gossip about it?    If a man having a meal with a woman in a public place gives the appearance of evil (which I have been told 100 times does) then standing there in a public spot speaking to that woman would be a similar situation. 

Let me ask you this, if you were seen standing on the street corner speaking to a woman with a poor reputation, do you think that might cause people to gossip? 

This is the problem with this verse being about appearances, if you make it about appearances then you are allowing other humans to dictate your actions instead of God.  

I really didn't expect you to agree with me.  I knew we disagreed because of the way you began this thread.  I don't agree with anyone that starts out saying that the KJV Bible got anything wrong, because it didn't.  I do have a question for you.  What specifically got you thinking about this particular scripture?  Was it a sermon you just heard or something you read during a daily devotion, or were you just looking for something to attack the KJV Bible over?  I know there are numerous web-sites that are filled with attempts to discredit it.  What was your motivation for starting this topic?  

I started this thread because of the "Spouse vs Friend" thread and some of the comments in there.  At least on male in that thread stated he would not even stop and give a ride to woman he knew that was stranded on the side of the road with car issues due to how he views this verse.   I find that absurd and totally the opposite of what Christ would do.

I find it interesting that you view a disagreement with the KJV as an attack on it.   You disagree with me, does that mean you are attacking me?  Why would you consider me disagree with this word in the KJV as an attack? 

You know what is really interesting, I started this same thread on "Christianforums.com" using almost the exact same words and not a single person was offended and not a single person accused anyone of attacking anything.  Some agreed with my view, some did not.    But on this forum we have 36 pages of people going back and forth about things that have nothing to do with the topic and most of them are just attacking each other.   Why does that happen here?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

Sure he did.   He didn't do anything that appeared "evil" in the sight of God, whose view on what constitutes evil is the only one that matters.  And the fact is that He silenced them by proving that there was nothing wrong with what He did, be it in appearance, or form, pretty much defeats the notion that Jesus took on the appearance of evil.

But God doesn't judge by appearances, He doesn't judge by the hearing of the ear and seeing of the eye.  That's why even some things that have an appearance of godliness is evil to Him.  And the only thing that appears evil to Him is actual evil, not things that may only appear to be.   We better know that verse is not talking about outward appearances at all, otherwise we're going to disobey and rebuke the Holy Spirit at times thinking it must be an evil spirit if it is leading us to do or say something that looks suspicious by outward appearances.  A wrong understanding of that verse is a Holy Spirit quencher!

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

there was nothing wrong with what He did, be it in appearance, or form, pretty much defeats the notion that Jesus took on the appearance of evil.

Why was He was numbered with the transgressors brother......He sure did take on the appearance of a transgressor......often.  Anyhow, think on it a while.

• Brilliant! 1

Guest shiloh357
2 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

But God doesn't judge by appearances, He doesn't judge by the hearing of the ear and seeing of the eye.  That's why even some things that have an appearance of godliness is evil to Him.  And the only thing that appears evil to Him is actual evil, not things that may only appear to be.   We better know that verse is not talking about outward appearances at all, otherwise we're going to disobey and rebuke the Holy Spirit at times thinking it must be an evil spirit if it is leading us to do or say something that looks suspicious by outward appearances.  A wrong understanding of that verse is a Holy Spirit quencher!

That completely skirts around what we are talking about.  The word used for evil in I Thess. 5:22 is poneron, and it refers to wickedness and lawlessness, immorality, basically anything God has pure contempt for.  This is not an arbitrary word where it is up to each person to decide for himself how to define "evil."    We are to abstain from the very appearance of anything that God finds detestable.

2 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

Why was He was numbered with the transgressors brother......He sure did take on the appearance of a transgressor......often.  Anyhow, think on it a while.

He was not numbered among the transgressors because he acted or appeared like them (the "transgessors" btw, is us).   During Jesus' ministry, there were two times where He directly identifies with us:  At His baptism, and on the cross.   That he was numbered among us only speaks to His total humanity, and though 100% sinless at all points before God, represented us before God on the cross.   He was numbered among us because our sin was imputed to Jesus on the cross.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

5 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

No, you missed the part about the fact that he was not talking about baptism in water.   Sprinkling is an invalid form of "baptism." It is not baptism at all....

You again missed the part that they are all types of ceremonial washings that only a legalist would differentiate between.

5 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Jesus was not referring to cannibalism, nor was He talking about the pagan eucharist.   He was spiritualizing His body and blood....

A gnostic interpretation of his sacrifice if ever I heard one.

Guest shiloh357
Just now, OldSchool2 said:

You again missed the part that they are all types of ceremonial washings that only a legalist would differentiate between.

Nope.   I simply know what true, biblical baptism is. 

A gnostic interpretation of his sacrifice if ever I heard one.

Then you have never heard one.  If you a clue about what Gnosticism is, you would know that what I said is the polar opposite.   You blow a lot of smoke, but your arguments are pretty empty and pointless.

4 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

I still don't know what other people have to do with our conversation Old school....

Nothing happens in a vacuum.

7 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Then you have never heard one.  If you a clue about what Gnosticism is, you would know that what I said is the polar opposite....

I don't think so.

6 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Jesus was not referring to cannibalism, nor was He talking about the pagan eucharist.   He was spiritualizing His body and blood to make the point that He was giver of eternal life....

Last I heard, eternal life was in a resurrected body like the one Jesus has.

Guest shiloh357
Just now, OldSchool2 said:

I don't think so.

Like I said, you don't have a clue....

Last I heard, eternal life was in a resurrected body like the one Jesus has.

It is, but that is not the issue under debate.   The issue under debate is the pagan ritual of transubstantiation.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:45 PM, Running Gator said:

Yet we are told many times in this thread we need to base our actions on what man calls "evil", or at least what man says looks like evil.  

We need to base our actions on what God alone deems is right and flee all that He deems evil.  You be blessed .  the holy scrips make us wise , through faith in Christ .