Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,020
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,314
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

Any of you want to share about former atheists turning to the Lord?   It can be people you know, heard of from family or friends, or someone in Science, etc.

I had a family member that was an atheist due to things he had seen in the Catholic Church.   This turned him away from God nearly his whole life.   The night before he died, he was seen praying.   Also, he had actually given me a Christian book some time before he died.   He was also pleased when I went to Bible College.  I know he is with the Lord now.

Also, I am a moderator at another Christian site.   One of my former co-moderators was a former atheist....she was a very smart, educated lady.  We also had a member who was a former atheist...he had gotten to the end of his rope and called on the Lord, and had a wonderful conversion to Christ.

Edited by Debp

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,587
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I was atheist. I was turned about by the Holy Spirit. I had no choice but to turn from my sin against God. It happened in rather dramatic fashion. It was set up by God from before I was ever born. I had no chance nor choice to resist, not this side of sanity anyway. I do not wish that particular drama on anyone as it was most unpleasant.  I have no idea why some of us are so resistant to God while others just seem to see and understand from early on in life.  I am simply appreciative for the faith of Jesus and that the Holy Spirit turned me about. Praise God the Father, God the Son Jesus, and God the Holy Spirit.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

7 hours ago, Neighbor said:

I was atheist. I was turned about by the Holy Spirit. I had no choice but to turn from my sin against God. It happened in rather dramatic fashion. It was set up by God from before I was ever born. I had no chance nor choice to resist, not this side of sanity anyway. I do not wish that particular drama on anyone as it was most unpleasant.  I have no idea why some of us are so resistant to God while others just seem to see and understand from early on in life.  I am simply appreciative for the faith of Jesus and that the Holy Spirit turned me about. Praise God the Father, God the Son Jesus, and God the Holy Spirit.

THEN lets let JESUS answer your question BY his own words.      The only condemnation is not that men are not called , nor predesitned to hell .

So no , that aint it .  the offer was for all, and the proof is that the gospel will be preached in all nations BEFORE JESUS even returns.

SO since we know that the ONLY condemnation IS Not concerning mans doctrines , ITS THIS.

The only condemnation IS ,          IS that LIGHT has indeed come in the world , but men loved darkness and wont come   ,  THEY REFUSE IT

for they love their sins more and don't want to change , or if they come , they taste, but in time are led right back into the mud pit due to

they loved darknesss MORE than the LIGHT .     So don't worry your head over WHY some seem to not come anymore .  THIS IS WHY .

2 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

THEN lets let JESUS answer your question BY his own words.      The only condemnation is not that men are not called , nor predesitned to hell .

So no , that aint it .  the offer was for all, and the proof is that the gospel will be preached in all nations BEFORE JESUS even returns.

SO since we know that the ONLY condemnation IS Not concerning mans doctrines , ITS THIS.

The only condemnation IS ,          IS that LIGHT has indeed come in the world , but men loved darkness and wont come   ,  THEY REFUSE IT

for they love their sins more and don't want to change , or if they come , they taste, but in time are led right back into the mud pit due to

they loved darknesss MORE than the LIGHT .     So don't worry your head over WHY some seem to not come anymore .  THIS IS WHY .

BUT always shine the LIGHT for all to see and pray they do come.  THAT we ought do , preach the gospel , live it and pray for them to hear

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

My brother was not actually an atheist but agnostic. His wife dragged him to a Church service one Sunday. This was not their usual Church. My brother said that something came over him. He really could not describe it. He went home and could not put down his wife's Bible. He then became a born again Christian.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

8 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Didn't know I had a question.

17 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Didn't know I had a question.

I have no idea why some of us are so resistant to God while others just seem to see and understand from early on in life

Ya had one , you just didn't know you did.    but it was answered........

11 minutes ago, Cletus said:

I have known several atheists that had a close call with death.   they all called on God. 

One was once a good friend of mine.  he was mowing.  the grass was wet from the sprinkler system.  the back yard was a downward hill, to a ravine with at least a 90 foot drop.  the tires on the ZTR mower lost traction on the wet grass and down he went... at neck break speed.  He said outloud God help me!  And isnt God good all the time???  the blade deck hung up right on the edge of the cliff.  I helped him climb over the back of the mower and we tied a big rope to the roll bar to keep it from falling.  when we tried to get the mower unstuck it wouldnt budge.  God saved his life, even though after he laughed it off, and asked why would he say such a thing? 

edit:  I never saw a genuine conversion, but when the fear of death rushes they call to Him.

My friend from childhood said the same thing.    LORD if you get us down from here safely I will go to church etc.

We got down and he laughed it off.  well we both did , I was a pagan child as well.   BUT ,   he sure was scared to death and in that moment , it was GOD help me.  

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,020
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,314
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

Yes, it's amazing how that instinctive call out to God happens in dire situations...even to atheists!

18 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

If I had a question the answer is an error for sure. Actually all are condemned to separation from God eternally. None are righteous. So let's start there.

All may indeed hear the call of the Holy Spirit in general,  only some some hear and heed the specific call to them individually. Not all are moved by that call for one reason or another. The reason we can debate endlessly without much good fruit coming from it.  But unless I am to believe all are saved I have to conclude that some if not many are never saved to be with God eternally. Since at the apex of all things, absolutely all things, is God for there is no power above nor superior, I do have to conclude that God in His mercy saves out some from the deserved condemnation of all. It is by His mercy and by His grace alone through the sacrifice made willingly by Jesus who is God that any are saved out from the condemnation  by God's wrath upon creation. And further that none are saved without that sacrifice.

What I do not know is not a question it is a statement. I do not know the why of God's way that some are turned about to their repentance from sin against God very young, why many  are turned out easily at all manner of ages, yet more like myself have to endure rather severe challanges to even get our attention. Maybe it is just a matter of spiritual IQ. I don't know. All I do know is what the Bible tells me, and the Holy Spirit confirms as I do my own walk in Jesus' faith:

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.  For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh,  in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.  For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.  For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.  For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.  But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesu from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.

So then, brothers, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh.  For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.  For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.  For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”  The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,  and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.  For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God.  For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope  that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God.  For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now.  And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees?  But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.  And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.  For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?  He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?  Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies.  Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?  As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
    we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,  nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Edited by Neighbor