Should Christians also eat kosher?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Christians get their guidance from the New Testament, which highlights which Jewish ceremonial laws we are to keep. The first clue comes in Acts 10:9-16. Peter went to a rooftop to pray and became hungry. He fell into a trance. The sky opened, and a sheet, filled with all kinds of animals, was lowered in front of him. A voice said, "Rise, Peter; kill and eat." But Peter, thinking it was a test, protested, "By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean." This happened three times.

The vision was two-sided. In the literal sense, Peter was released from the Jewish dietary law. Christ-followers did not have to keep Jewish ceremonial law because Jesus fulfilled it. In the metaphorical sense, it was one more lesson on how Jesus was for everyone, and the Jewish Christians needed to witness to the Gentiles, as well.

People like to say that this is proof that Christians can eat whatever they want, but it flies in the face of Peter's OWN interpretation of the vision, which is recorded in the Bible (which you would probably say is the truth).

Acts 10:28 " 28 He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean."

He tells us right there that the vision's meaning was to inform him that it was OK with God for him to go to the Gentiles.

Abraham was told by God to kill his son Isaac as a test.  He was prevented from actually carrying it out.  If you had a vision where you had a gun and a blanket full of innocent people, and a voice said to kill THEM, YOU wouldn't do it, either!  You'd be perplexed about the meaning of the vision, just like Peter was.  God testing Peter in a vision was never interpreted as an end to the dietary laws, just like Abraham being told to kill his son Isaac wasn't a tacit approval for human murder. 

Edited by stillseeking

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,853
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

On 1/11/2018 at 3:48 PM, Joulre2abba said:

I didn't take the time to read the link because I'm here to comment on what I currently know and maybe later read an article online. I guess that's a longer way to say that I couldn't be bothered to go and read it before I comment.

Such a question might come from those Christians who strive to be legalists, or consider that all Christians should be so extremely converted by accepting the Jewish roots and in all but natural birth be Jewish.

However, the Methodist upbringing that I have been raised under didn't hear of such things from the pulpit. In the new testament the apostle Paul distinctly stated that all things to eat are permissible. Because he was talking to gentile Christians under grace. Even Paul a messianic Jew, was by grace- free to eat non kosher foods. The only stipulation that he put on it was to refrain from exercising your freedom when sitting next to a kosher believing believer who was eating kosher food during the church meals.

Same reason why wine or beer drinkers don't drink sitting next to teetotalers. Or, maybe the rude one's do.

So in true methodist fashion, eat what you like, and don't eat what you don't like.

It's advisable not to eat what would not be very healthy. For instance my mother fixed ham plenty of times, and I've always cooked ham for the holidays. I know, any Jew that heard that, the thought of them doing it, they would die of shock on the spot then roll over in their grave.

Well anyway, I thought that as long as I drowned it with pineapple juice and smothered it with brown sugar.. such delicious flavor would make it ridiculous not to eat it. But then I read on the internet how unhealthy it is no matter how it's cooked.

I have considered that the person was using extreme hyperbole (if there is such a thing) just to convince others to stop eating it because they don't eat it. But in my autumn years I have cut down on fixing it for the holidays. Or maybe it was just because I didn't have a decent crockpot for those years. But since I now have another crockpot I've been considering again to fixing a ham in it :)

What a beautiful mind, thank you. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

On 1/11/2018 at 1:50 PM, simplejeff said:

Why did the Apostle Paul say he refrained from eating meat ?  (in the NT)

To keep from being a stumbling block to other believers. He was pretty specific about the situation he was writing about also.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.51

On 1/9/2018 at 2:07 PM, GreyDestiny said:

I read a website/article recently that made some decent points. The link is below.

http://www.cjfm.org/resources/statements/should-christians-keep-kosher/

(Sorry. I just couldn't be bothered to type it all out myself.)

In any case, I was wondering what thoughts any of you might have on the matter.

I just read through that site, just more legalism, Pharisees who want all Christians brought back under the law though their site actually denies this. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:07 PM, GreyDestiny said:

what thoughts any of you might have on the matter.

No one is justified by any old testament or new testament laws.

Proverbs chapter 10 verse 12

Love covers all wrongs.

1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8

Love covers a great many sins.

If you think you need to obey any laws, study the bible, if you study enough you'll know the truth.