• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,623
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, Just received the monthly newsletter of a Private Christian School. As part of it's discussion of today's cultural changes for students, is the encouragement to learn what the culture is for today's student.

The following two sentences highlighted the introduction:

"The Apostle Paul set an example for us. We must understand and reach into people's culture, assumptions, and beliefs in order to reach them with th eGospel and disciple them into lifelong faith."

With that  a link to  a report on A &E's documentary series on what it is like to be a high school student today was printed in the news letter.  I have found it enlightening and so i share of it here. See report summary at 

http://www.businessinsider.com/undercover-high-teenagers-lives-2018-2

The undercover reporters concluded the difference today is the smartphone and they declare it to be alarming!

I must say I have seen it at the Christian schools that I have had association with too.

Also please, see a Parents Guide To  Snapchat!   https://www.acsi.org/Images/Engage/Parent_s_Guide_to_Snapchat.pdf

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  20

Years ago people sometimes asked (about tv)  who gave the image the power to speak ?

Now,  ..... worse....

• Thumbs Up 1

And far far different. So much so that there is a serious disconnect between even recent graduates of schools and today's students. The pressure is entirely different and very demanding and also threatening. Unlike anything having to do with TV.

The articles and guide explain it. But as to a solution, well there is the rub. There must be a strong presentation of the values of the Bible, but how? How to reach  the culture of today that is different from literally last year?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  20

3 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

The pressure is entirely different and very demanding and also threatening. Unlike anything having to do with TV.

Very similar and in the same direction.   Only difference is it has grown bigger, stronger and worse,  as written : "the wicked will become more wicked" ....

LIkewise the righteous become more righteous... (and not seen as often, obviously)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

The first link required me to either turn off my ad blocker or pay $1 .. I'll do neither.

The second worked OK, but why do they allow phones in school anyway? 

Yup, it has been 47 years since I was in school, and 20+ years since I had to go to school for one of my kids. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Honestly, I don't think someone should have any kind of handheld device until a certain age. Then again, everyone else over a certain age piddles about on their handheld devices as well. At the very least, 4 year old kids don't need to be waddling around with one. Raise your kids, don't let technology be your babysitter because you are lazy.

Regular teachers have enough trouble with phones in schools. I know most kids when I was in school would sit there and text on their lap, trying to hide it from the teacher's view. A few teachers even implemented classroom rules that made the students put their phones in a bin until the end of class, and that never worked because only a few kids would actually put their phones in the bin. Then the disconnect seems to be that, in order to grab the student's attentions, the teachers would pass out larger homework assignments. Every of my 10 classes was like an 8 page packet, front and back, and even as a kid who didn't have a cellphone, I found the whole thing bothersome and my grades suffered. How can I get my biology packet done on time when I also have an algebra packet that needs to be done? And I was just a kid, I wanted some time to myself when I was at home; expect me to spend my time doing homework all the time, get real.

In my mind, we need to teach kids when they are young the meaning of moderation. The issue is that so many kids (older folks included) get so sucked into their cellphones that it leaves little room for much else. People lack moderation when it comes to many other things, so irresponsible people lead to irresponsible kids which leads to problems across the spectrum. Unless there is a major uprising of morality, responsibility, whatever one wishes to call it, i'm afraid technology is the new babysitter and there is hardly a way to get through to them. The only thing I would advise a school to do is not increase the school work (because that just makes it flat out annoying to everyone) and to not rely too heavily on technology. I know a keyboard saves on paper, but a student should have to put pen to parchment was well. Give them things to do that keep their eyes off of LED screens and maybe that will show them what it's like to not have their face buried in their phone. I know if it wasn't for the early part of my childhood spent reading and school actually enforcing penmanship, I probably would be just like every other student at the time and even today.

13 hours ago, OneLight said:

The first link required me to either turn off my ad blocker or pay $1 .. I'll do neither.

The second worked OK, but why do they allow phones in school anyway? 

Yup, it has been 47 years since I was in school, and 20+ years since I had to go to school for one of my kids. 

Odd I didn't have to pay anything, nor did I turn off my ad blocker.  Oh well.

As to cellphones that is the whole point- life is changing and so fast even those that graduated just a few years ago  do not recognize the culture that the younger child is growing up with.  It is radically different.

At school parents try to bypass the line of cars in place to securely pick up their children by calling their child on their cell phone and getting the kids to jump the security system and go to the parent just  off campus. Their are all sorts of electronics rules in place and a list of children  suffering detention for the violation of those rules. In some places and classes teachers use cell phones as a means of hearing from the students in their class! No one raises a hand they simply text instead.

When a lock down occurred, I have had to go up and down the line of angry parents in cars to explain why we were under security lockdown. Some give the thumbs up, others well not so much....