• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,240
  • Content Per Day:  2.10
  • Days Won:  4

21 minutes ago, Still Alive said:
38 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

You do that.   I will just continue to place my faith in the pure and Holy  Word of God that teaches an eternal Hell/Lake of Fire.

It does? I disagree. 

Shiloh and Luftwaffle had an interesting exchange on this fairly recently. You can find it here:

• Thanks 1

Guest shiloh357
1 minute ago, one.opinion said:

Shiloh and Luftwaffle had an interesting exchange on this fairly recently. You can find it here:

unfortunately, we didn't get to finish it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

44 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

No one turned Gehenna into Hell.   Jesus simply used Gehenna as a point of comparison.    No one redefined death, either.    You are making a lot of nonsensical claims.  

Well, you are correct in that some bibles use...

Never mind. No need to re-invent the wheel. Believe What the Jewish Apostles Taught, Not What the Greek Philosophers Taught

46 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

No, Jesus was not discarding traditional values.   Jesus bucked against the liberal excess of Pharisees who perverted Scripture to create loopholes for themselves to violate the laws of God without a penalty.    Jesus was not against traditions;  Jesus was against the way traditions had been used to circumvent and/or cancel out the Word of God.   The traditions were not the problem, the way they had been abused and misused was the problem.  Jesus still participated in many of the traditions, but He did not spare criticism for those who misused them.

EXACTLY! We are in agreement. That is precisely the point I was trying to make! :)

48 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

I am not saying that the terms don't exist.   I am saying that when it comes to interpretation, there is no such thing  as "hyper-literal."   It is a term that is used today in place of "face-value."   If I were to take Jesus at "face-value," I would believe that we are supposed to maim our bodies every time we sin.   

Two things. First, I agree with you that people may say people are taking it too literal when they mean "face value". 

Second - But that is not what I meant. I mean some people hang on literal meanings of words to try to make a case for a particular belief. I'm a huge fan of "face value". i.e. when someone says a car that passed them was flying down the road, I don't believe it was literally flying. 

And when Jesus said the lost would be thrown into Gehenna, I understand he didn't mean they would be thrown, literally, into the valley, but they would be utterly destroyed and consumed into non-existence, which was what happened to stuff that got thrown into Gehenna (garbage and, earlier, babies sacrificed and then burned up). Face value is pretty clear, I agree. But some want to take things very literally, NEC are an example of that. And, again, taking it "literally" often involves interpretation. Sometimes they only want to read their particular English translation and will not even entertain the more subtle and diverse meaning of the original text.

Meanwhile, there are homosexual preachers that teach that the sin of Sodom was poor hospitality. So yes, you can certainly go overboard. But that one is between them and God.

58 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

No, if you are believing that Hell is not eternal, then you are not believing the Bible in that area.

It is thrown into the lake of fire, where it comes to its rightful end. Hell is another word for hades and Sheol. It is one of the most confused words in the bible, frankly. Ask ten people what it means and you'll get ten answers. 

But yes, the fate of the lost and the saved is quite eternal. One is alive and the other isn't. Eternally so.

Edited by Still Alive

1 hour ago, one.opinion said:

Unfortunately, that thread is closed. :(

43 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Unfortunately, that thread is closed. :(

That was part of a special series that included only two participants. I'm sure you could open a general thread on the topic if you wanted to debate it further.

19 minutes ago, one.opinion said:

That was part of a special series that included only two participants. I'm sure you could open a general thread on the topic if you wanted to debate it further.

I'm a bit concerned that it's too controversial. But yep. I'm gonna do it. 

5 hours ago, Still Alive said:

I'm a bit concerned that it's too controversial. But yep. I'm gonna do it. 

Do it! You know you want to...

• Haha 1