IGNORED

Spacex has launched the first space junk cleaner upper to sweep up debris in orbit

MorningGlory

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

It's about time.  There is too much junk up there and God likes an orderly universe. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/spacex-launched-experimental-space-junk-031056730.html

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,165
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

10 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I wonder where they'll put the debris? I guess there are two choices and since they are cleaning space...Go Green-earth bound!! LOL

One article I read said the test satellite will test a couple methods, a net and a harpoon-like device. Once the "recovery" is complete, it will deploy a type of sail to produce extra drag and burn it up in the atmosphere much sooner than would normally happen. So, yeah, drag the stuff back planet-side.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,682
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

The minds at SpaceX will find many ways to make money including providing  cleaning service. They will also have the ability to salvage, harvesting  much gold and silver, plus  if they return some of the larger components whole they will have a tremendous salvage yard, as well as possess a lot of technology. They also will be able to  become a free agent capable of bringing  "down" the military satellites of nations.

They are going to make a lot of money in the garbage and janitorial business. For they will remove the hazards that can cause death injury from fallig space junk and prevent the liability associated with having put the junk into space in the first place. Next thing ya know the Mafia will be pressuring them.

8 hours ago, Neighbor said:

The minds at SpaceX will find many ways to make money including providing  cleaning service. They will also have the ability to salvage, harvesting  much gold and silver, plus  if they return some of the larger components whole they will have a tremendous salvage yard, as well as possess a lot of technology. They also will be able to  become a free agent capable of bringing  "down" the military satellites of nations.

They are going to make a lot of money in the garbage and janitorial business. For they will remove the hazards that can cause death injury from fallig space junk and prevent the liability associated with having put the junk into space in the first place. Next thing ya know the Mafia will be pressuring them.

Methinks that is worrying too much!  We need this and a similar technology for cleaing the large garbage collections in the oceans.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,682
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, MorningGlory said:

Methinks that is worrying too much!  We need this and a similar technology for cleaing the large garbage collections in the oceans.

Worry?  ???

I  marvel at their accomplishments! I'm greatly  enthused in seeing their visions of how to be productive and also make money as private exploration  entrepreneurs.  

I grew up eating my breakfast Wheaties while sitting at the family table alongside bits of stinky glues  and fabrics from the very beginnings of space exploration and the early recovery system for space craft that my father had been working on all night, night after night way back when we were competing with the Russians for 'control of space". 

Now as an old geezer I am happy to see,  and most interested in the amazing  renewal of exploration, and by private interests alone. Worry? No not at all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  357
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

On 4/4/2018 at 4:05 AM, MorningGlory said:

It's about time.  There is too much junk up there and God likes an orderly universe. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/spacex-launched-experimental-space-junk-031056730.html

looks like falling on the earth's surface with a lot of junk aboard

Blessings

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Very interesting!

On 4/5/2018 at 9:44 AM, ytLiJC said:

looks like falling on the earth's surface with a lot of junk aboard

Blessings

That's not really likely.  But, if something isn't done, it's only a matter of time before that junk takes out a spacecraft.