IGNORED

Effective believers?

A remark Jeremy Paxman made in one of his books sticks in my mind. He said the Church of England christians treat God as 'the comforter of the comfortable'. 

When i think of some of our church members i do wonder. Those who are very well off do seem to wallow and enjoy a very cosy relaxed christianity. Very nice people, meeting regularly to do good works. But, not really achieving anything. Not welcoming change. Not wanting 'undesirables' in their church, only awfully nice well spoken socially accepted people. Tolerating the occasional desperate soul who can serve as a pet project. Someone to pray for and be wonderfully but carefully nice to. At a safe distance. As long as their own secure lives are not in any way disrupted. 

I examine my own conscience. I have a decent life. Own my home. Have a comfortable life. What have i done to put myself out? I am mixing only with nice safe people. I want to do better. God's Will. I will do but don't know how yet. I don't want Paxman to be accurate! 

Edited by Melinda12
Spelling.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,569
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,

Perhaps the Holy Spirit will lead you to somewhere similar to where this group is led. http://www.soshope.org

Edited by Neighbor
Changed content as it didn't read as intended

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,942
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:49 AM, Melinda12 said:

A remark Jeremy Paxman made in one of his books sticks in my mind. He said the Church of England christians treat God as 'the comforter of the comfortable'. 

When i think of some of our church members i do wonder. Those who are very well off do seem to wallow and enjoy a very cosy relaxed christianity. Very nice people, meeting regularly to do good works. But, not really achieving anything. Not welcoming change. Not wanting 'undesirables' in their church, only awfully nice well spoken socially accepted people. Tolerating the occasional desperate soul who can serve as a pet project. Someone to pray for and be wonderfully but carefully nice to. At a safe distance. As long as their own secure lives are not in any way disrupted. 

I examine my own conscience. I have a decent life. Own my home. Have a comfortable life. What have i done to put myself out? I am mixing only with nice safe people. I want to do better. God's Will. I will do but don't know how yet. I don't want Paxman to be accurate! 

Hi Melinda12, The default stereotype of the cultural bias you describe does seem to reside in Anglican circles, but we can be sure they do not have a monoply on it. I found myself on the receiving end of a profane tirade from a roughly dressed gumboot wearing farmworker outside the building we were about to have a service in, expressly because I was wearing a three-piece suit and tie while on a 3 month secondment to his rural AOG from the city. I explained the suit had been given to me by a woman in my congregation whose son no longer needed it, and its warm woollen weave made it a comfortable choice on that winter's day, but all he saw was someone who thought they were a cut above the likes of him. I took my tie of to appease him and as we sat down explained that according to God's Word the use of profanity is not acceptable behaviour for Christians.

These days I remember to dress down a bit so as not to offend those who are more casual in their appearance.

Edited by Michael37
grammar

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 7/11/2018 at 4:49 PM, Melinda12 said:

I examine my own conscience. I have a decent life. Own my home. Have a comfortable life. What have i done to put myself out?

Hi Melinda. And welcome to Worthy. I sense your having some doubts about not having done  some grand sacrifice to show God your commitment to Him. I feel that often also, no mater my involvement. But when I struggle to 'abide' and keep a God consciousness, I learn it is not the mountaintop experiences I need, but the every day common place mundane daily life battle to walk worthy. My willingness to do/go what/where I feel led as the Spirit leads me. To be a blessing to others, to purpose to bless others. The whole duty of man is to fear God and keep His commandments. I am supposed to present myself as a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God. I have a family, and do not believe I will have a call to travel overseas to be in God's will to be used for His work.  I really try to pay attention to the 'little things' that are not so talked about, and not the grandiose. I believe in the body there are plenty of chiefs available, so I offer my simple God given talents. As my talent is carpentry, that's where I'm most effective, and useful. In our church are a group of men that are involved with helping both young and old in need, whether working on cars, homes, etc, or building needed facilities. My wife and her ladies groups have many ministries that help those in need, especially the very young families, and the older women/men needing medical help.
There are several  overseas ministries, like Neighbor posted above, that you can support that provide food and schooling, and/or medical, and spiritual assistance. It really is just a few bucks, but it goes a long way overseas, helping the poor or needy. I have found, at least for me, if I ask God to 'send' me someone that I can be a blessing/witness to, He will provide. The little things.  

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,020
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,310
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

5 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

Hi Melinda. And welcome to Worthy. I sense your having some doubts about not having done  some grand sacrifice to show God your commitment to Him. I feel that often also, no mater my involvement. But when I struggle to 'abide' and keep a God consciousness, I learn it is not the mountaintop experiences I need, but the every day common place mundane daily life battle to walk worthy. My willingness to do/go what/where I feel led as the Spirit leads me. To be a blessing to others, to purpose to bless others. The whole duty of man is to fear God and keep His commandments. I am supposed to present myself as a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God. I have a family, and do not believe I will have a call to travel overseas to be in God's will to be used for His work.  I really try to pay attention to the 'little things' that are not so talked about, and not the grandiose. I believe in the body there are plenty of chiefs available, so I offer my simple God given talents. As my talent is carpentry, that's where I'm most effective, and useful. In our church are a group of men that are involved with helping both young and old in need, whether working on cars, homes, etc, or building needed facilities. My wife and her ladies groups have many ministries that help those in need, especially the very young families, and the older women/men needing medical help.
There are several  overseas ministries, like Neighbor posted above, that you can support that provide food and schooling, and/or medical, and spiritual assistance. It really is just a few bucks, but it goes a long way overseas, helping the poor or needy. I have found, at least for me, if I ask God to 'send' me someone that I can be a blessing/witness to, He will provide. The little things.  

Another little ministry that is actually very helpful is perhaps taking a senior citizen to the grocery store.  Some seniors might not drive anymore and might not have any family to help them.   I have a new Christian neighbor and she has taken me to the market with her twice already, and plans to call me whenever she goes.   It's very helpful, God bless her!

Also, if you know a lonely senior citizen, maybe visit with them a little sometimes.

Edited by Debp
  • Loved it! 1