• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, EricTheExtoller said:

I agree, but potential for problems here as there's only 1 true God. 

Yes, I know.  And I tend to believe the Bible when it says God is Love. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Davida said:

R.C. Sproul has a very good teaching on GOD's Holiness that is worth checking out. I think Holiness is hard for some people to deal with , because mankind is not holy, only GOD is  Holy and this is why people tend to over-stress the quality of love because they don't like to deal with the truth of the other qualities of God His Holiness, justice & righteousness. It's what Jesus came to SAVE us from -eternal punishment because GOD is Holy & His judgments are Holy & Righteous, it is why this world is coming under GOD's Judgment.  

Hummm……..  "Be ye Holy as I am Holy" and all the other statements about keeping one's self "Holy" doesn't count for anything.  But even though not one person but the Lamb could be found who was Worthy to open the seals, this forum and everything associated with it get the title "Worthy."  I guess we really do have a different way of looking at the Bible.

Guest shiloh357
2 hours ago, Willie T said:

Yes, I know.  And I tend to believe the Bible when it says God is Love. 

God is love, but that is not God's chief attribute.  Before God is love, God is holy.

23 minutes ago, Davida said:

I think you don't understand the Holiness of God & this Bible instruction. 

Have not most people here continually said that "Holy" means separate?  Then how, with that thinking, does "Be ye Holy as I am Holy" not mean to isolate yourself from others?  Frankly, I think it is the opposite of God's message to tell people God desires to remain separate from us and that is how we need to think of Him.(and others He made)  I am one with my Daddy, and He, with me.

Edited by Willie T
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest shiloh357
8 minutes ago, Willie T said:

Have not most people here continually said that "Holy" means separate?  Then how, with that thinking, does "Be ye Holy as I am Holy" not mean to isolate yourself from others?  Frankly, I think it is the opposite of God's message to tell people God desires to remain separate from us and that is how we need to think of Him.(and others He made)  I am one with my Daddy, and He, with me.

You have the wrong idea.   Being separate doesn't mean avoiding or shunning people.  It means that we live separate from the values of  the world's system.  We are separate in the sense that people notice something different in us.  It means that our values and our morals are based on scripture and not on the world's definition of what is right and wrong, morally.

As for people, there are some people whom we cannot have in our close circle of friends.   It doesn't mean that we avoid sinners, or that we don't have anything do with them, but our closest friends are the ones who encourage us and build us up in our walk with the Lord, so that we are able to reach out to others who don't know Jesus.   So, it has nothing do with avoiding people or isolating ourselves.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

12 minutes ago, Willie T said:

It's more a case of isolating your heart from the desire to participate in sinful, unholy activities. The older I get the more I abhorr the vulgarity, profanity, blasphemy, insobriety and general depravity that passes for progressive culture these days.

There is something to be said for groups that want relief from all that is unholy.

HOLINESS MOVEMENT

"Holiness groups believe the moral aspects of the law of God are pertinent for today, and so expect their adherents to obey behavioral rules—for example, many groups have statements prohibiting the consumption of alcohol, participation in any form of gambling, and entertainments such as dancing and movie-going.[4] This position does attract opposition from certain evangelicals, who charge that such an attitude refutes or slights Reformation (particularly Calvinist) teachings that the effects of original sin remain even in the most faithful of souls." 

Guest shiloh357

22 minutes ago, naominash said:

There are popular speakers and pastors emphasizing that grace means being able sin and keeping a relationships with God. "Unlimited free sins." While I agree that our position with the Lord isn't based on our performance, obedience is a marker of true faith.

Yes, if a person is living unrepentant sin and using grace to justify that, they are likely not saved.  A genuine follower of Jesus pursues holiness and seeks to live in a manner that pleases God.

Another questionable thing I've heard: "People don't need to see our holiness to be won to Christ. They need to see that our sins are forgiven and that we are free and loved. "

If we are cooperating with the workings and purpose of the Holy Spirit in our lives, and thus growing holiness, people will see that holiness and frankly, holy living will lead people to Christ so long as it is steady, earnest and energetic.   As long as we are diligent in our pursuit of holiness, our lives will the kind of lives that lead people to Christ.   

When you're living in holiness you have a real confidence, a hope and a level of joy and peace that is there when the heat of adversity is at its worst.  When we are in the crucible of trials and tribulations and those looking on, who think we should be losing our minds, only see the joy and peace and hope that comes from knowing Christ, that will lead them to the Lord. 

Also: "Freedom in Christ isn't real freedom unless it means we are free to sin." 

Yeah, whoever said that is really, really wrong.  Freedom in Christ is freedom from sin, not freedom to sin. 

I feel like that is just not true. Scripture says we are not to do whatever it is we want. 

Right on!

In my own life, I used to take in ideas that trying too  hard to be holy meant I wasn't resting in the grace of God. But I've grown more in a more balanced understanding that God is after the whole heart and I ought to give Him my best. He may have grace but He does reward those who diligently seek Him. What pleases the Lord is when we hunger and thirst for righteousness. 

Holiness is really a two-part process.   There is a putting off of those old ways of thinking, putting off of the works of the flesh and anything that impedes our walk with God.   But there is the putting on of the communicable attributes and character of God.  We grow in holiness when put on what looks like God and put off what doesn't and that is a process that will go on for as long as we will live on this earth.

So what helps us grow? A heart that says, if I sin, that can be forgiven? That's part of it. But that still puts the focus back on us. 

A heart that says, "I will seek the Lord, be set apart and give up anything that displeases Him to find Him." is something else. From that standpoint, I have personally grown a lot more. I can only speak for myself. 

Amen!

Yet, we are to keep God at a distance, and perhaps only worship Him up on a pedestal?

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

3 minutes ago, Willie T said:

Yet, we are to keep God at a distance, and perhaps only worship Him up on a pedestal?

Who says?

It is kind of nice to see parts of rational explanations finally coming out, rather than just "Holy" declarations. 

Edited by Willie T