ejected

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  761
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

In Matt. 23:6 it tells us that certain ones love the chief seat in the synagogue. Who is it talking about?

In verse 9 it say to call no man faheror pater which means ' an honorific title'. What would be an example of a title of honor?

And in verse 12 it says why these things are not allowed. Pride/arrogance/ego.

'And whoever exalts himself will be humbled'. 

Upper seat with a religious title of honor. What's Jesus tslking about here?

It gets worse. The hebrew word for self exaltation is ramam, or full of magots. 

Am i missing something here? 

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  761
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

Im teaching what Jesus taught. No envy in that but rather freedom. Freedom from religion. Set the captives free. For freedom He set us free. Gal. 5:1 

Besides. There is no way i could be envious of maggots. I pulled the lid on our garbage can a few times and found hundreds of maggots wiggling away. Made me sick to my stomach. Now about the titled high seat sitters.....need i expound. 

Jesus words need to be taken seriously. He is Whom we have to do. Hebrews 4:13 

Please re-consider. God bless. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, ejected said:

Am i missing something here? 

Yes, you are missing something here:  the context, the audience, and the intent of the message.

• The audience:  The disciples and the multitudes.
  • The message:  The woeful behavior of scribes [lawyers] and Pharisees [a highly influential religious/political group in the Sanhedrin]
  • Here's the context. Please read the whole thing.  

Matthew 23:1-12

"Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples,  'The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat,  so do and observe whatever they tell you, but not the works they do. For they preach, but do not practice.  They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on people's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to move them with their finger.  They do all their deeds to be seen by others. For they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long, and they love the place of honor at feasts and the best seats in the synagogues  and greetings in the marketplaces and being called rabbi by others. But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brothers.  And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. 10 Neither be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Christ.  The greatest among you shall be your servant.  Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.'"

Here's what you have missed:

• Jesus TOLD the people that the scribes and Pharisees have the same authority Moses had in terms of the law and that they were to obey these men when they taught the law.
  • But, Jesus told them to watch out for their "works" which were not good and not to copy their misbehavior.
  • What were they doing wrong?
    • Expecting others to obey the law when they did not always do so.
    • Doing all their "works" to be seen by others.
    • They take their clothes and make the "religiousness" of their Hebrew symbols they wore larger and larger.  It seemed that these little boxes they wore and tassels on their clothes became the mark of their personal holiness which is ridiculous.  So in their minds, the bigger the boxes which contained little scrolls, the more holy their were.  Ridiculous.
    • They made the ordained feasts that God commanded all about them and where they sat to be "seen".
    • In the synagogues, where men congregated on the Sabbath to read and discuss the scriptures, they had to have the "good seats".  Like the expensive seats or press box at a ball game.
    • They enjoyed the "titles" like rabbi and teacher.  Of COURSE they had rabbi's and teachers, but they enjoyed the title only and being called that in the streets even when they weren't doing any rabbi or teacher duties.

Jesus finally teaches that these men are all about hypocrisy and vanity, but when they teach the law they are to be obeyed, but their selfish ways are to be abhorred.

If this is to be applied to New Testament churches, it applies to all members: pastors and congregants alike can ALL get caught up in their duties and make themselves "special".  So can house church members.  So can "solo" Christians get absorbed in their specialness.

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

5 hours ago, Jayne said:

Yes, you are missing something here:  the context, the audience, and the intent of the message.

• The audience:  The disciples and the multitudes.
  • The message:  The woeful behavior of scribes [lawyers] and Pharisees [a highly influential religious/political group in the Sanhedrin]
  • Here's the context. Please read the whole thing.  

Matthew 23:1-12

"Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples,  'The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat,  so do and observe whatever they tell you, but not the works they do. For they preach, but do not practice.  They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on people's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to move them with their finger.  They do all their deeds to be seen by others. For they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long, and they love the place of honor at feasts and the best seats in the synagogues  and greetings in the marketplaces and being called rabbi by others. But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brothers.  And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. 10 Neither be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Christ.  The greatest among you shall be your servant.  Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.'"

Here's what you have missed:

• Jesus TOLD the people that the scribes and Pharisees have the same authority Moses had in terms of the law and that they were to obey these men when they taught the law.
  • But, Jesus told them to watch out for their "works" which were not good and not to copy their misbehavior.
  • What were they doing wrong?
    • Expecting others to obey the law when they did not always do so.
    • Doing all their "works" to be seen by others.
    • They take their clothes and make the "religiousness" of their Hebrew symbols they wore larger and larger.  It seemed that these little boxes they wore and tassels on their clothes became the mark of their personal holiness which is ridiculous.  So in their minds, the bigger the boxes which contained little scrolls, the more holy their were.  Ridiculous.
    • They made the ordained feasts that God commanded all about them and where they sat to be "seen".
    • In the synagogues, where men congregated on the Sabbath to read and discuss the scriptures, they had to have the "good seats".  Like the expensive seats or press box at a ball game.
    • They enjoyed the "titles" like rabbi and teacher.  Of COURSE they had rabbi's and teachers, but they enjoyed the title only and being called that in the streets even when they weren't doing any rabbi or teacher duties.

Jesus finally teaches that these men are all about hypocrisy and vanity, but when they teach the law they are to be obeyed, but their selfish ways are to be abhorred.

If this is to be applied to New Testament churches, it applies to all members: pastors and congregants alike can ALL get caught up in their duties and make themselves "special".  So can house church members.  So can "solo" Christians get absorbed in their specialness.

Good comment.

- it seems like that you did short exegesis / interpretation.

You wrote some important issues from that text.

- Titles..etc.

---

Blessings,

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,466
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, ejected said:

certain ones love the chief seat in the synagogue

I believe the Pharisee's are the subject here referred to.

call no man faheror pater which means ' an honorific title

Father, Holy, or Holy Father? I can think of one man at the Vatican myself.

Upper seat with a religious title of honor. What's Jesus tslking about here?

I think of pontiff, special unearned privilege, unearned entitlement, ego, etc.   

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

8 hours ago, Yowm said:

I figured you would take that general statement I made personal.

Some will probably take this personal too .  But yowm , I don't care what the pope thinks about ya , I Loves ya .    

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, Jayne said:

pastors and congregants alike can ALL get caught up in their duties and make themselves "special".  So can house church members.  So can "solo" Christians get absorbed in their specialness.

Does this go along with it.

1 Corinthians chapter 1 verse 21

For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, john1 said:

Does this go along with it.

1 Corinthians chapter 1 verse 21

For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

Actually no.  The "foolishness" of what was preached is how the world, the lost, views good Bible preaching.  They think it's stupid and that Christians are fools.

This passage in 1 Corinthians is showing how the world's wisdom is not God's wisdom.  God doesn't save the world through what people would be called "wise".  God's plan is not what we would do.  That's because he is God.