• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

21 minutes ago, Gary Lee said:

This is a great thread Shadow, and I can relate to your dilemma. As a young believer, I had similar thoughts. So many things happening in my young family's life were not going well to "my" understanding. Why Lord? Little did I know. God was molding us to "HIS" will for our family. As you quoted, God's ways sure aren't  nothing like our ways. So I started doing what His word said to do, the best way I knew how, and falling, but getting up (He lifted me up) and pressing on.
I simply started to do what I believed the scriptures said to do, especially concerning my wife and children. It took time.

Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

God did favor me, ultimately, He gave His son.....

From another:
"God will not allow any circumstance, or any person, to hold us back from His blessing, favor, and purpose for our lives. We don't have to worry. Because we belong to Him. And we can trust Him with our days. God is Able, He is more than Able, to turn the toughest, darkest times, around for good. He will not waste our pain, but will use the difficulty of what we walk through for greater good, to bring blessing and freedom to others. And often the greatest blessings come after the greatest times of testing."

From God:

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

"If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him." Matthew 7:11

“How abundant are the good things that you have stored up for those who fear you, that you bestow in the sight of all, on those who take refuge in you.”  Psalm 31:19

“And the Lord said...This very thing that you have spoken I will do, for you have found favor in my sight, and I know you by name.” Exodus 33:17

"Let our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands..." Psalm 90:17

"...but his favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30:5

"...By your favor you make us strong..." Psalm 89:17

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.” Ephesians 1:3

"For you bless the righteous ('hmm'), O Lord; you cover him with favor as with a shield." Psalm 5:12

"For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly." Psalm 84:11

“And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.” 2 Corinthians 9:8

2 Chronicles 7:14  If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; 'then' will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Proverbs 18:22  He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord.    And Amen, on that one..........

Psalm 106:4   Remember me, O Lord, when you show favor to your people; help me when you save them (ask)

Proverbs 3:34   Toward the scorners he is scornful, but to the humble he gives favor.

God is for us! He wants to bless us. We are His children, He is our Father. Yes, He chastises us. Because He loves us, and His ways are the best ways. Remember this one;

Hebrews 11:6  But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

By faith, believing God is a rewarder of those seeking Him, as the scripture says, is truth.  Pro 23:7  For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:

It is not only OK to believe God wants to bestow His favor on us, God's word says we should believe it. By FAITH!  again; "without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him"
God is Light, and He doesn't lie. His words really are truth. Remember the blind men He healed;   Mat 9:29  Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you.

Your right Shadow, God's ways are not man's ways. Pray without ceasing. Talk to God, simply.

"Prayer is not overcoming God's reluctance; it is laying hold on His Willingness!!..........default_cool2.gif.cf8e7c2388e98cd4c5f1d230c395ad7e.gif

PRAISE THE LORD GARY .   You loved brother .   

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, Adstar said:

1 John 3: KJV

7 "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."

So where in this verse does it state that doing righteousness pays for ones place in eternity with God?

That's right.. Nowhere..

But all people who have Gods Holy Spirit indwelling them will be moved to do righteousness if anyone says they are saved and does no righteous acts then they are fakes..

19 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

Hmm.....
1 John 3:7

Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.
Dear children, don't let anyone deceive you about this: When people do what is right, it shows that they are righteous, even as Christ is righteous.
Little children,
let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.  KJV

Nothing to do with works, for salvation. It is God's word. God is light! No darkness, at all. Explain it to me. Brethren.

His ways are Not ours................

I can only suppose Adstar, you failed to read my entire post. I never stated; "that doing righteousness pays for ones place in eternity with God"? as you implied. I purposely made a statement to avoid turning this thread into a 'works salvation' issue, by stating;  "Nothing to do with works, for salvation. It is God's word. God is light! No darkness, at all. Explain it to me. Brethren."

Does this help your understanding, Adstar? I'm with you on the evil doctrine of works salvation. Thirty years of 'working' in the RCC was my experience. One statement/seed from an old preacher, 'by grace you are saved', set me straight.

The actual purpose of my post, addressing the OP issue of trying to find the 'how' in obtaining God's favor, was simply stating from my own experience how I discovered I actually could do something "righteous". According to the word of God!
I had been taught I was just a worm, so unworthy. Jesus did not hang on a cross for a bunch of worms. He did it for His creation. Us. He loves us and wants us to repent, change our thinking, from 'man's ways', to God's ways. To do the 'right' things. In so doing, His word says what to expect. Cool. I can actually gain God's favor by obeying, and by faith expect to receive it.
Doing the 'right' thing..........

"Dictionaries define righteousness as “behavior that is morally justifiable or right.” Such behavior is characterized by accepted standards of morality, justice, virtue, or uprightness. The Bible’s standard of human righteousness is God’s own perfection in every attribute, every attitude, every behavior, and every word. Thus, God’s laws, as given in the Bible, both describe His own character and constitute the plumb line by which He measures human righteousness". 
We fall short of God's plumb line for righteousness, for sure, but that does not, should not, stop us to fervently strive to meet His mark!

"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much".
Psalm 5:12 says, “Surely, LORD, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.

I remember many years ago reading a definition of a 'righteous' action, and it stuck, and I use it often, to help me in my response to others.

Fairness;  Paying a debt above and beyond the amount owed.
He ask for a jacket, give him the coat also. Walk two miles when ask for one.
The neighbor cuts my front lawn, I cut his front and back.
Someone holds the door open so me and my wife can go first to sit down and order a meal, then I secretly pay for his family's meals.
An argument with my wife, God moves me to be silent, I do. Then, as a blessing,  put my arms around her. And listen.
The above is in obedience to the word. I choose to obey. Or not.

Because I am saved.     Not to be saved..........default_cool2.gif.1c3952db5cea15f2f820f266773c909b.gif

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

12 minutes ago, Gary Lee said:

I can only suppose Adstar, you failed to read my entire post. I never stated; "that doing righteousness pays for ones place in eternity with God"? as you implied. I purposely made a statement to avoid turning this thread into a 'works salvation' issue, by stating;  "Nothing to do with works, for salvation. It is God's word. God is light! No darkness, at all. Explain it to me. Brethren."

Does this help your understanding, Adstar? I'm with you on the evil doctrine of works salvation. Thirty years of 'working' in the RCC was my experience. One statement/seed from an old preacher, 'by grace you are saved', set me straight.

The actual purpose of my post, addressing the OP issue of trying to find the 'how' in obtaining God's favor, was simply stating from my own experience how I discovered I actually could do something "righteous". According to the word of God!
I had been taught I was just a worm, so unworthy. Jesus did not hang on a cross for a bunch of worms. He did it for His creation. Us. He loves us and wants us to repent, change our thinking, from 'man's ways', to God's ways. To do the 'right' things. In so doing, His word says what to expect. Cool. I can actually gain God's favor by obeying, and by faith expect to receive it.

"Dictionaries define righteousness as “behavior that is morally justifiable or right.” Such behavior is characterized by accepted standards of morality, justice, virtue, or uprightness. The Bible’s standard of human righteousness is God’s own perfection in every attribute, every attitude, every behavior, and every word. Thus, God’s laws, as given in the Bible, both describe His own character and constitute the plumb line by which He measures human righteousness". 
We fall short of God's plumb line for righteousness, for sure, but that does not, should not, stop us to fervently strive to meet His mark!

Psalm 5:12 says, “Surely, LORD, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.

I remember many years ago reading a definition of a 'righteous' action, and it stuck, and I use it often, to help me in my response to others.

Someone holds the door open so me and my wife can go first to sit down and order a meal, then I secretly pay for his family's meals.
An argument with my wife, God moves me to be silent, I do. Then, as a blessing,  put my arms around her. And listen.

Because I am saved.     Not to be saved..........default_cool2.gif.1c3952db5cea15f2f820f266773c909b.gif

That's right gary .   For it is HE in us working that which is ................which is ..............................WELL pleasing ,   IN HIS SIGHT .

AND we are the servants to whom we obey .    I say again we are the servants to whom we obey .    I say again we are the servants to whom we obey .

Do we obey HIS SPIRIT ,    or do we obey the contrary flesh .     One last time , and I hope it sinks in real deep   .  WE are the servants to whom we obey .    Now you leap up

and praise the LORD ,   gary you just shout out a mighty praise to the LORD .  

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,188
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

21 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

Hmm.....
1 John 3:7

Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.
Dear children, don't let anyone deceive you about this: When people do what is right, it shows that they are righteous, even as Christ is righteous.
Little children,
let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.  KJV

Nothing to do with works, for salvation. It is God's word. God is light! No darkness, at all. Explain it to me. Brethren.

His ways are Not ours................

The perfect work of God 'IS' where no sin has ever (eternally) been committed!  Adam our greatest grandfather committed the first for us (mankind) and all of us are born dead and will sin when we become accountable to God for our actions 

Rom 3:23

23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
KJV

Now from this pool of availabilities where do we get the perfect work?

This is why The Lord Jesus had to come into the world to provide that perfect work... His Life and that is why Titus 3:5 is so vital to our understanding of the work Jesus had done!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

37 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

The perfect work of God 'IS' where no sin has ever (eternally) been committed!  Adam our greatest grandfather committed the first for us (mankind) and all of us are born dead and will sin when we become accountable to God for our actions 

Rom 3:23

KJV

Now from this pool of availabilities where do we get the perfect work?

This is why The Lord Jesus had to come into the world to provide that perfect work... His Life and that is why Titus 3:5 is so vital to our understanding of the work Jesus had done!

Titus 3,5   Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

KJV

Now from this pool of availabilities where do we get the perfect work= O%

Salvation/Grace/Faith.........1oo%

Now, how then can we do good (not perfect) work(s)?

Jesus said,    "Abide in me"...................

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

10 hours ago, Gary Lee said: