• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

2 minutes ago, Butero said:

I am not saying it is a good thing that churches do that, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt as to motive.  I think many do it simply to keep children safe from those who would put harmful things in their candy.  It is possible some children may have been spared from harm because of those church events.  There are so many parents that will continue to send their children out trick or treating in spite of the danger.  

Yeah. I agree. There are some parents who are not understanding yet (and not setting out to intentionally disobey God.) As you said, they are actually trying to keep their kids safe.

The Holy Spirit works on each parent in a personal way and at their own unique pace/ timing. So I do give them the benefit of the doubt.

Others, however that actually know better and are rebelling do need a reprimand. In the end, when we pray for the kids we should also pray for the parents eyes to be opened spiritually to the evils of Halloween.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Butero said:

By the way, what exactly is the symbolism about bobbing for apples?  I just thought it was something some folks did for fun at parties.  I have never given it any thought.  

@Butero :thumbsup: Good question! I admit than in my youth it struck me as a bit fun. Origins didn't enter my mind then. Just drowning (well, at least choking on water. lol.) Nowadays, some have stopped practicing it just because of spreading germs that way.

After you brought it up, I went searching the net for info. I kept finding evil origins...even secular sites were owning up to it. I copied and pasted one below for you, Butero.:) Thanks for the interesting question.

This is from a secular site, btw. So it is promoting it (whereas I am not), even though they are admitting it has these kinds of roots! But of course, the world is spiritually blind and not considering what pleases the Lord. The church is held to a higher standard.

Samhain, a precursor to our All Hallows' Eve or Halloween celebration, occurred at a time that was a magical for the Celts of Britain. A time when the veil separating the worlds of the living and dead was its thinnest. A time when the distinction between past, present, and future would blur. Many of the earliest Halloween games took advantage of this belief and were based on divining the future.

When the Romans conquered Britain they brought with them the apple tree. The apple was representative of the goddess Pomona, the goddess of fruit trees. She was known for her great beauty and fertility. Romans, although conquerors, Romans were accepting of other cultures and soon accepted Celtic beliefs and the Samhain festival. The two were blended together and the apple became part of the harvest celebration that would become Halloween.

Because Pomona was a fertility goddess and because the Celts believed that the pentagram was a fertility symbol  and when an apple is sliced in half the seeds form a pentagram it is natural that they believed the apple could be used to determine marriages during this magical time of year. From this belief comes the game bobbing for apples. During the annual celebration young unmarried people try to bite into an apple floating in water or hanging from a string. The first person to bite into the apple would be the next one to marry.

While the apple may or may not have had any ability to predict the future it brought people together from distant farms and villages who may otherwise have never had contact with others outside their own families. This was very important as most people did not live through their childhoods. Marriage and fertility were extremely important. Without children there would be nobody to carry on your genes. If you didn't have a large supply of children there wouldn't be enough labor to survive. In this respect bobbing for apples wasn't just a game but a matter of life or death.

Today bobbing for apples doesn't have the same importance as it once did. It's a game now played for fun by the young and old alike. To learn how to bob for apples see the Halloween games section ofEntertaining or click here.

Has anyone out there been praying for the safety of the trick-or-treaters? I posted a prayer request for them but it only got 7 views. Maybe I should have posted it earlier? :( 

Well- I'm sure there are Christians convicted by the Holy Spirit, who are doing so. The Lord loves the little ones. Of such is the kingdom of Heaven.

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  211
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/06/1970

Isaiah 5:20 New King James Version (NKJV)

20 Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness;
Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

• Loved it! 2

8 hours ago, Abby-Joy said:

@turtletwo's prayer request post... I hope others see it and pray! 

:) Thanks. That was very thoughtful of you.

I've always wanted to learn how to make one of those linky things you just did above. What is it called, btw? lol. (You can see I'm not a 'techie turtle.' Maybe you could pm me and teach me how?)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Abby-Joy said:

You could bake cookies, or make your own ... or buy from a Christian company.  I still feel there's a way to do it that does not conform.... something that clearly lifts up Jesus and doesn't even hint of compromise.  I would never hand out cookies or candy without giving them truth to go with it... maybe some tracts on the truth about halloween and a Bible..

I like the Bible idea. Years ago, I used to hand out children's gospel tracts along with the candy.

Edited by turtletwo
reworded clearer
  • Loved it! 1

@Abby-Joy I just tested it out in another thread. Yay! It worked for me. Thanks again. Your instructions were clear and helpful.

• Brilliant! 1