BibleStudent100

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  411
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

I know that some religiously inclined folks refrain from celebrating holidays.  However, it seems that Thanksgiving is about as a benign and non-controversial holiday one can find in the American culture.  As a result, if one usually declines from participating in other holidays but participates in Thanksgiving, what Biblical reasoning does one use?

Thanks,

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

first, before we postulate any question we must understand what we celebrate in such national holiday and what is the historical background behind such holiday  and then what does the Lord tells us in His word in regards about being thankful and giving thanks....two things totally different. During the last supper our God and savior Jesus Christ..the bible tells us that Jesus look up and after braking up the bread He gave thanks!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  8,700
  • Content Per Day:  3.92
  • Days Won:  64

I think that it does give opportunity for the secular USA to at least think about being thankful and possibly be thankful.  That is a good thing!

Edited by Frances
changed word
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

14 hours ago, BibleStudent100 said:

I know that some religiously inclined folks refrain from celebrating holidays.  However, it seems that Thanksgiving is about as a benign and non-controversial holiday one can find in the American culture.  As a result, if one usually declines from participating in other holidays but participates in Thanksgiving, what Biblical reasoning does one use?

Thanks,

Most Americans have not been to third world countries and seen their living conditions. They only know how other Americans live, so no real hands on comparison, to the rest of the world. Why do you think everybody is trying to get into this country called America, however they can. For myself and my family, we come together as any family would just to get together in friendship, but Thanksgiving is special. Each year my wife and myself, our kids and their spouses, and our dozen grand kids, holding hands in a circle, each take turns giving what they are personally  thankful to God for. From a new pet chicken to going to college, to a child's profession of faith, our thanks are offered upward. The biblical reason was stated above, as we are told;   1 Thessalonians 5:18  "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."
In spite of how low we have fallen away from our God, Americans have a great country, so blessed of God. What better reason we should all give Him our heartiest and humble Thanksgiving...........

387735213_38c065c525_z.jpg.c946a41caa7ca874a291d09f7e26eca7.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 2