IGNORED

How many schools, how many new situations?

Neighbor

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi all, this is hopefully to become a shared experience thread, a re-union of sorts of today's friends acquaintances , brothers and sisters in the Lord Jesus from many  diverse experiences:

Many of us went to one school in one town or city and then on to  a college or a job  or a skill leaning center. Others of us attended oh so  many schools at many towns. Yet we all have arrived here. Kind of funneled to this time with a common place to share with each other. Still more are a generation or two or three or even more behind us doing much the same but in a way that is theirs personally to carry on through till one day  they too catch up and can then look back.

I could put this in the over 50's  Golden oldies, but  would like  even teens to be able to see how many have "been there done that " when it comes to  school years especially.  Plus I will especially like to read of the much younger than myself, the teen, the newly married, the career single as well as married, as to how they are getting through transitions.

So how many school experiences stand out in your own personal history? How many schools did you have to attend, how many family moves did you endure? How many families did you have? Etc.? What stands out in your mind about those events and times? Did you get through it? How? Are you still in it?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

My parents moved a few times when I was young before I could remember much.

We moved once between states about halfway through first grade.  I cannot recall much about it so it must not have been too traumatic.   I was then in the same rural school district until I graduated HS.   Overall, I was heavily involved in activities, however, I really didn't like the social dynamics in school from about 6th grade on.  I'd have probably done better home schooling or unschooling with access to various activities but that really didn't exist much in that era.  I didn't fit into any of the social groups but got along reasonably well with most people.  I wasn't a loner but really didn't have any close friends I spent much time with.

Went to a state university (where I met and married my wife who also graduated from there).  Went to grad school at a state university in another state.  Worked there for a few years after graduation.  Moved back to a small town and worked at one company for about 20 years which was a roller coaster.  The main reason I stayed so long was it was a 10 minute walk to work and I had flex time opportunities for family stuff.   Worked at a non-profit for a year or so.  Quit due to high stress.   Decided to move to a new town for family reasons after 20 years in that town.  Kids were grown and had moved out.  I've been unemployed/semi-retired since then living off savings and a few consulting jobs.   Now working on writing and creating material for a consulting business in the education and training arena.

• Thanks 1

Hi all, Near as I can remember I attended three elementary schools, one two year (7th and 8th grade) junior high, plus three high schools. Technically there was fourth high school but they moved me after just a one month period. Seems I was in no one's district so they redrew the district lines and I was moved to where I had to walk a couple of miles through orange groves to get the the last bus stop to get to ride to school.

Odd thing  I was within walking distance through those groves to the 40 lanes Wonder Bowl and that new theme park Disneyland. I used to watch workers guniting chicken wire forms to shape  space mountain turning mortar into desert rock formations.

I didn't even bother showing up for my senior year class annual picture.  My name was there with a cartoon image, hey suited me at the time. I was the New Hampshire country kid moved to the Greater Boston Italian ghetto then the city kid in an orange grove clean across country.  

I did have to go to summer classes because schools programs do not line up. Seems one place government is a sophmore class another place it is a junior class. So I had to fill the holes in my classes required for graduation by taking on summers, mostly with kids that had flunked the class during the regular school lyear. Oh how I hated summer school, but the classes were okay so I aced those classes.

I was a sixteen year old senior, turned 17  in November but we started in August so i was the young one in a world of changing18 and 19 yea olds. That is not cool at all especially if you are skinny with acne. I graduated as a 17 year old only to realize hey I am out of school yet California will not let me work like an adult until I am 18. Plus no one is hiring 18 year olds because of the Vietnam draft has started to become a serious issue.

So I hustled for money, filled glue bottles as a sub subcontractor, washed cars, polished cars, detailed cars, rode shotgun under the table on a trucker's egg route to grocery stores. Neither Little Ricky nor older brother David on Ozzie and Harriet ever had to do any of that to get by. And this was the 1950s and early 1960s live, it was the reality of life then.

My few friends were all in the same or similar boat most were already being drafted. One got married with children immediately to beat the draft, another ended up in the air force as an AP  stationed at Greenland then Turkey, and then shot himself  while in the wrist while there to get a section 8 and was out with his gal and got married.

I was serious about my own gal and realized hey I need a career. I ended up with a little low pay night job answering phones at a mortuary plus making first calls at night running in and out of hospitals and resthomes and people's homes plus accident scenes for the coroner after working delivering furniture days   -  I found out, hey I can go to Mortuary College, get a licence, and be in the funeral business! So I did.

I married my gal, had kids, never did get drafted, and we were a couple for fifty years total. Somewhere along the line I bumped into God. Actually He grabbed me, said hey you what's wrong with you? Knock it off I am here, and He just hasn't let go. Actually He was there always, but I didn't have a clue-

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,103
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I attended the same school for 12 years.   There were 46 of us that graduated together and 36 of us started in the first grade.....

At the end of our graduation exercises we all got together and as we  all realized that many of us might not see each other for a very long time   kind of put a sting in the party so to speak.

First three reunions 5,10 and 15 years everyone came back from all over the country to see each other...  next year we will have our 55th year reunion and it will be interesting to see who all shows up.

• Thanks 1

55th, wow. Seems rather special.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,103
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I really hope everyone shows up...   I'm only aware of one that has passed on.