IGNORED

Why do so many Christians have an issue with those who discipline their kids?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

14 hours ago, thomas t said:

I'm against any corporal punishment of a child.

Actually, I'm against all sorts of violence against children.

Solomon said it's wise to use the rod according to my interpretation of Proverbs 13:24. However, in Ecclesiastes 8:16-17 the same Solomon pointed out that the pursuit of wisdom is foolish.

Amen Who me, very well pointed out with regard to the ouija board.

very well pointed out.

Amen, very well said.

This is a very good use of vocabulary in this case, I think. Jayne also used that word. Comparing his family to a situation in which children get stoned... this is where the abuse started, I think. Today, there is a right to life.

that's the point, Behold. Very well said.

of course not. Thank you.

Regards,

Thomas

Then you have a problem, as God approves of corporal punishment. There is a difference between a punishment and a beating.

As far as I'm concerned a small child can learn that .... act is very wrong by a sharp slap far quicker then being talked to/scolded/nagged.

Then there is the issue of abuse, in many ways putting a child on the naughty step andignoring them for 5 minutes, is a far worse punishment for the child, as is a life time of telling it, 'you are no good, a failure, better off dead etc etc' view anti smacking campiegners ever talk about the mental abuse of children.

Stoning, Again that was a commandin the OT laws. Not about mischivous toddlers or disobedient pre teens, but about late teens who were rebellious.

Put this in context.

A mans son(s) were the pension scheme, the eldest would take over the farm/buisness and run it to support his family. That is his elderly parents, wife and children. A son who would not do this put his families future at risk, it also represented a threat to the established order and any son who refused to accept the judgement of society would be sonned to death by that same society.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1980

3 hours ago, Who me said:

Then you have a problem, as God approves of corporal punishment.

This is not true when you have a state around you that is willing and able to help you if you don't know how to raise your kids without using violence, I think.

Things have changed.

I know many friends raising their kids without any violence. Violence isn't needed.

Thomas

Edited by thomas t

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9

I can't answer for your church or for you. Everyone of us will each answer to God for ourself. 

As a Christian I would not severely beat my children.  If I did knowing it was against the law,  I would understand I am making a choice to suffer under the law for making that decision to obey what I believe God wants and disobey the laws and authorities I am under.

For myself I try to take in to account the full counsel of the word and pick a narrow path down that full counsel. You can't ignore 10 scriptures and then tell yourself you are obeying the bible

What spirit are you in when you severely beat your child? Fear for their soul? Bible says " God doesn't give us  spirit of fear".. anger? Bible says for us to control our anger if we give full vent to it, unchecked anger can destroy us. Bible says not to embitter our children or frustrate them. Are you obeying that?

Bible says for us to be patient, kind, notb overbearing but self controlled. What is the state of your heart when you severely beating your children? Are you being a parent they can honor so all will go well for them?

Jesus embraced children, taught, warned everyone of his wrath against those who cause one of them to sin. How did your kids get a ougi board in the first place? Don't you watch them? Are you not the one responsible for protecting them? Who gave them a ougi board and cuased them to sin? Did you tell them what Gods word says about what they did?

Have you read every bible verse on patenting? How to conduct yourself as a parent? How a christian should behave? Bible says hard ship is discipline. We are to instruct and discipline. Do you have the scripture in Hebrews that tells us to love our children and be kind to them? To be above reproach? 

Do you extend to your children the same grace the Lord freely extends to you? You can spank your kid and do it in love and a self control. There is a huge difference between discipline and trying to wound them enough to cause fear or striking your kinds in discust, hatred, anger, frustration. Fear of God is the beginning of wisdom but we are not God. So are you puting fear of you in your kids? You know you will have no control by force when they leave your house to get away from being beat?

They may end up in the hands of non Christians if you go to jail. Not to mention Jesus was an offering not only for our sin but for our guilt and shame. Can your kids boldly approach the throne of grace with clean hands and pure hearts or are you raising them to believe God wants to punish them rather then correct them and restore them?

Edited by Reinitin