IGNORED

Should women cover their heads during worship?

Guest bop

I recently opened my Bible to 1 Corinthians 11 and I am feeling a little confused!

Referring to verse 6, where Paul speaks to the Corinths advising women to wear head coverings in worship. Why do most women in churches today not wear head coverings?

I would not have a problem with covering my head to show submission to God and my husband, as Paul illustrates, but what I don't want to do is draw attention to myself in a negative way in Church.

Can someone please give me advice on what to do.

I want to do my best to please God and follow his word, and I don't understand why women have forgotten this teaching in the western world.

Any comments will be genuinely appreciated.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  0

Some hold the position that it was a "cultural" thing, but the Bible is for today just as much as it was for yesterday. Some hold the position that natural hair is what Paul is referring to, but then verse 5 & 6 would make no sense - "But every woman who has her head uncovered (has no hair) while praying or prophesying, disgraces her head ; for she is one and the same with her whose head is shaved. For if a woman does not cover her head (does not have any hair), let her also have her hair cut off............." Doesn't make any sense if the covering is natural hair.

Paul is referring to a material covering, to show headship and order. He also mentions that the angels are watching our worship, and we are to be an example.

and I don't understand why women have forgotten this teaching in the western world.

My personal feelings are that it's the age old problem of pride. Say "submission" and some women go off the deep end, lol. Godly submission is a beautiful thing, and a woman can take much healthy pride in it. God's way always works and is the best for us. :24:

For years I attended a church where it was normal to see most women with a headcovering. I don't attend one now, and I wish I did.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Hi,

Good question. Im moving this thread to General Discussion where it will get more views, and more responses.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I attended a chuch for a while where the women would wear head coverings. I don't see anything wrong with it. I agree that it was probably disregarded by people who have misunderstood or rejected the whole notion of wives being subject to their husbands. That does seem to set people on their toes!!!! Many of the women who are older in our current church still wear hats to church, but I don't know if they do it out of obedience to that verse or what. I don't think that anything done out of reverence for God's word should reflect negatively on you, but then I know we don't live in a perfect world. One church that I went to for a while asked one of the women in the choir to stop raising her hand in worship during the music, because it was "distracting". We stopped attending that church right after that. I still say, though, that if you feel led to wear a head covering, DO IT!!! If you feel uncomfortable wearing a traditional head covering, try wearing a nice hat. Maybe that way you won't feel like so much attention is being given to it

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  346
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  05/25/1964

But doesn't God's word call us to do it?

Doesnt say 'if you are comfortable with it'.

Same goes for more than just hair coverings in the Word.

I belong to Mennonite church, but even the congregation I attend when I can (it's 100 miles from me) many no longer wear coverings. My grandma still does.

I'd love to hear a valid reason why God has decided it's no longer necessary. I'll have to try to remember to email my pastor that question.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

I wear a cotton scarf. I have several, in different colors, that I made easily on the sewing machine. I'm the only woman at my church who covers.

There are many types of coverings. You can do an online search and find lots of styles. You can also find a lot of writings, pro and con, on the subject.

As for advice, I would say pray about it and ask your husband to pray about it also. Then do as the Holy Spirit leads.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Personally, I think it was a cultural issue having to do with modesty. I vaguely remember there being something about a woman having her head uncovered in those days usually meant she was a prostitute, but that with Roman influence it was becoming fashionable to not wear head-coverings. In the present-day western culture, seeing someone wearing their hair down is perfectly normal.

One of those things I'm fuzzy about...I'll have to dig through my New Testament Survey textbook to see if I can find that article.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

One church that I went to for a while asked one of the women in the choir to stop raising her hand in worship during the music, because it was "distracting".

Oh my goodness. I'm speechless. Good for you for getting out of there quickly. I hope she left also. Yikes.

I'd love to hear a valid reason why God has decided it's no longer necessary.

Great question, Donna.

Guest Enchiridion

It was my understanding that this passage was in reference to temple prostitutes who, as a sign of their devotion to their false gods, shaved their heads.

Would this be a good time to discuss the concept of Christian Liberty?

Enchiridion

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I never have and most likely never will.