• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

How can to pass a Bill that order people to love? Interesting.

The highest authority in existence made it law to obey. 

(for everyone and anyone who wants to be saved from corruption and destruction, to have eternal life)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,039
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,449
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

9 hours ago, PinkBelt said:

Church attendance was between 39% and 49% depending on where you went, not exactly as high as you seem to think. After 1960 it has declined steadily. 

I believe those percentages are incorrect for the 1950s and 1960s.   I saw those percentages and they were for "self-reporting" surveys.

Here is a graph of church attendance through the years which seems much more accurate to me:

https://religionnews.com/2014/01/27/great-decline-religion-united-states-one-graph/

Guest PinkBelt
9 hours ago, Debp said:

I believe those percentages are incorrect for the 1950s and 1960s.   I saw those percentages and they were for "self-reporting" surveys.

Here is a graph of church attendance through the years which seems much more accurate to me:

https://religionnews.com/2014/01/27/great-decline-religion-united-states-one-graph/

Well I used the Gallup poll which is scientific and pretty accurate. I have no idea where your chart is from or their methodology. I don't need to belabor the point but "the good old days" are a myth and always have been.

19 hours ago, simplejeff said:

The lies on television , broadcast EVERY DAY SINCE THEN,  were already around about 1948 with the first widely broadcast television commercials.   The television shows also,  were UNrighteous - opposed to God, almost all.

Even the so-called family shows,  "so nice",  "so wonderful",  were without Jesus,  and instead served another worldly 'god', mostly money.

So no,   television was never "good", nor "right" with true Christians.  It was and is a plague of the spirits, minds,  and health of children and adults everywhere.

I watched commercials and TV shows during the 1950s and 1960s.   They were nothing like you described!   I remember commercials for Ivory soap, Ovaltine, Campbell's soup, Brycreme, Old Spice, Pepsodent toothpaste, Tide detergent...just simple advertisements.

Some TV shows were The Andy Griffith Show (life in a small town), Lassie (hero dog), Fury (hero horse), Rin Tin Tin (hero dog), Roy Rogers (Christian actor/singer), Father Knows Best, I Love Lucy....there were more but all were wholesome programs.

In programs where it was about a married couple, there would only be twin beds allowed to avoid any suggestiveness.   My, have times changed now!

1 hour ago, PinkBelt said:

Well I used the Gallup poll which is scientific and pretty accurate. I have no idea where your chart is from or their methodology. I don't need to belabor the point but "the good old days" are a myth and always have been.

That's your opinion.   I am older than you and am speaking from experience.

When I was in high school, what some kids considered bad behavior was sneaking behind the school for a cigarette between classes.   My, have times changed...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  976
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  13,933
  • Content Per Day:  5.08
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

The 1950's was an era of emigration, of breaking out for many younger families in  the USA. They left the eastern and central cities and moved far west to California buying little pink houses with gingerbread designs and shaggy shakeshingle roofs. They all put in swimming pools. Life was indeed grand for many a poor working person  using their VA benefits to get no down payment homes , free local college education, and to start little businesses.

The neighbors knew each other,  had pool parties on weekends, and the kids played together or made mom n dad's car a little faaster so  on Friday it could be drag raced on the local streets.  Knott's Berry Farm was free to get into and safe to wander around in, a cheap date where many met and had fun. Drive in movie theaters were  places of gathering and romancing.  May not have been a time of great religious revival all over, but there were local bodies of Christ, and Christians were not  told to not share of Jesus  with anyone.

I had left the eastern city  of nasty gangs and got to enjoy the wonder of the  emigration out of those places. Were values and morals and opportunities different them? Absolutely, we were pretty much free to do as we would do, not under the thumb of federal government regarding almost all  of life's activity.  Tyranny of the New Deal had to yet hit us. 1964 changed much in America. Yet  most of us have survived the adversity that has come with the adventures in large government  intruding in all matters of life, from the bedroom to the boardroom.

And God is still sovereign over all. Even in this time of turmoil for so many, He is sovereign. Jesus is still the way, the truth, and the life. Keep focus on Him, all is well; yesteryear and today.  But the demons are still here waiting their plight, and hating nd it is sometimes hard to keep that focus on Jesus and life eternal with him that is certain for those that believe on Him as God lord and personal savior. Sometimes a little venting helps clear the mind and heart.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  976
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  13,933
  • Content Per Day:  5.08
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Ha, I used to refinish wood floors back in the 1950's  I was a young kid and an early teenager in the big cities of the east.  I was hammering down  floor nails  in order to running belt sanders taking up all the old stain, hand sanding the corners and then staining  the latest lighter color floor stain and applying layers of lacquer  topping. Also off with the old wall papers and on with paint or new wall paper that looked more like a painted surface.

Then came the great migration west and swimming pools to clean  and decks to wash down and shag carpet and short three differnet twist carpet fibers wall to wall. And finally the great rush to ceramic tile everything.

Guess what, I just finished ripping out my thick plush carpet and putting down wood flooring. Right back where I started over a half century ago!

All the trends, all the changes, and all is the same over more than a half century, it only seems to be different by the moment at hand. Of course my own knees sure hurt more today than back then. They hurt a whole lot more.

ps and the demons still dance their dance, and those of humanity called to their salvation are still very secure in Christ Jesus.

5 hours ago, Cletus said:

before it was not as unrestrained as it is now.  and thats just the facts. 

So true.   Back then, most people would at least have a conscience.   For example, if they stole something, they knew it was wrong.   Now it's like they have no conscience.   Recently on our news, children have been videotaped stealing for the adults accompanying them.   These were separate incidents.    It's bad enough when adults steal, let alone them teaching a child to steal for them.