IGNORED

Is collecting action figures out of appreciation of a character idolatry?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I have this question because I am a young man of faith who enjoys fiction and appreciate some of the characters.  I read their comics and watch the movies.  I have started buying figures to how would say represent or celebrate my appreciation for the character. For example I appreciate Spider-Man.  So I bought a spider man figure put in a pose, put it on a shelf next to the comics and movies iv seen or read on the character,  and let it be.  In know ways do I feel more complete or comfortable, or feel distracted from having my time with God. I keep this as a background in my life as I know in my mind these are in fact FICTIONAL characters but the resurrection of JC is not fiction.  Just wanted to make sure I’m not  doing anything “dangerous”.

so what do u guys think?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Days Won:  0

On 28 July 2019 at 5:44 AM, DeonBarrry313 said:

I have this question because I am a young man of faith who enjoys fiction and appreciate some of the characters.  I read their comics and watch the movies.  I have started buying figures to how would say represent or celebrate my appreciation for the character. For example I appreciate Spider-Man.  So I bought a spider man figure put in a pose, put it on a shelf next to the comics and movies iv seen or read on the character,  and let it be.  In know ways do I feel more complete or comfortable, or feel distracted from having my time with God. I keep this as a background in my life as I know in my mind these are in fact FICTIONAL characters but the resurrection of JC is not fiction.  Just wanted to make sure I’m not  doing anything “dangerous”.

so what do u guys think?

Does your collection of comics, action figures and watching the movies etc prevent you from attending church, reading your bible and praying?

If they or anything else becomes more important than these then they are becoming idols and are being worshipped.

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 7/27/2019 at 9:44 PM, DeonBarrry313 said:

Just wanted to make sure I’m not  doing anything “dangerous”.

so what do u guys think?

It's interesting, and also somewhat concerning that you would title the topic and then use the term: idolatry. I'm also wondering how many of these items that you have. It's stated that they don't take your time away from the Lord, and that's a good thing. But I'm also curious as to how much time you spend reading comics, and watching movies of this genre, and if it seems to be more than time spent praying, and reading God's Word. Just a thought. 

Edited by BeauJangles

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

On 7/27/2019 at 9:44 PM, DeonBarrry313 said:

so what do u guys think?

Is it appreciation of these characters or idolatry? If you give this some deep thought only you can answer that.