• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

19 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

If you throw Frisbee with the dog instead of attending worship at your church or instead of comforting someone in need (you get the picture) then it is of Satan.

I disagree with that. There is always an opportunity to do that, 24/7. I had to come to terms when I first bacame a Christian, with the concept of "if the church doors are open, and I'm not there, am I sinning?"

The answer I came up with is, absolutely not. I adhere to Ecclesiastes 7:16,17:

"Do not be overly righteous, and do not make yourself too wise. Why should you destroy yourself? 17Do not be excessively wicked, and do not be a fool. Why should you die before your time?"

Bottom line is that I think it is ok to enjoy life, but enjoy it within a biblical perspective. Too many people I've known have burned themselves out trying to be "too righteous". 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0

walter,  thabk you for shareing this,  I've been thinking about this myself,

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

21 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

I disagree with that. There is always an opportunity to do that, 24/7. I had to come to terms when I first bacame a Christian, with the concept of "if the church doors are open, and I'm not there, am I sinning?"

The answer I came up with is, absolutely not. I adhere to Ecclesiastes 7:16,17:

"Do not be overly righteous, and do not make yourself too wise. Why should you destroy yourself? 17Do not be excessively wicked, and do not be a fool. Why should you die before your time?"

Bottom line is that I think it is ok to enjoy life, but enjoy it within a biblical perspective. Too many people I've known have burned themselves out trying to be "too righteous". 

Well, that's where free will comes into play. You have the free will to do what you will with your time AND money. God gave us free will and then gave His directions as to what to do with it. So, as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. You quote the Ecclesiastes passage out of context. I'm familiar with the text and here's verses 2-12 to add a little context

It is better to go to the house of mourning, than to go to the house of feasting: for that is the end of all men; and the living will lay it to his heart.

Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better.

The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning; but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth.

It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise, than for a man to hear the song of fools.

For as the crackling of thorns under a pot, so is the laughter of the fool: this also is vanity.

Surely oppression maketh a wise man mad; and a gift destroyeth the heart.

Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof: and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.

Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools.

10 Say not thou, What is the cause that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not enquire wisely concerning this.

11 Wisdom is good with an inheritance: and by it there is profit to them that see the sun.

12 For wisdom is a defence, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it.

(Sorry, went to get a bite to eat and mistakenly sent the message without finishing the thought)

I also find it problematic to quote the Old Testament on a subject without a mention that Christ Himself elaborated in much detail on the subject.

Edited by unworthyservant
Mistakenly sent incomplete message

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

"We live in a society that competes among ourselves to be somebody special.  
In the course of that competition, it is decided who will lead and who will follow
The followers commit themselves to the leaders expecting to be part of a group that is "something special"
Even though they are followers, "they are part of the rebellion against God that began with the first man, Adam" 

Perhaps I simply have misunderstood your meaning, Walter.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might" (God)

Growing up, I was taught to always do the best I can, by my parents, teachers, coaches, bosses, company commander, etc.
And then there were times that I did lead, if I was good enough, worked hard enough,  burned the midnight oil while others slept.
This does nor preclude my Christian character, humility, or a lack of concern for others,
no more than my pastor who worked hard and excelled through theological seminary. (He is special!)
I have seen many a Olympic medalist with a very humble demeanor/character. (Also special)
Any action has the risk/opportunity for good or evil. High or low achievers included.
I have a very inspiring book called "My utmost for His Highest" - Oswald Chambers, (He's Very special)
read and reread more than any other book, save the bible.
As the title reveals, it is about running the race, striving to the utmost, in our walk,
all as "Unto the Lord".
In whatsoever we do, as we are a testimony to others.

I know I'm somebody special.
My creator died for me. (
and I'm humbled)
Think on that.
And called me friend. (
and I'm humbled)
You too, Walter and Deborah.
Your very special!

"Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time"

Special; = "better, greater, or otherwise different  from  what  is  usual "...........default_cool2.gif.e4d4aac4089722fa128d73d11acbbc0f.gif

We have been 'set apart'(special) by God!

The lost rebellious world doesn't have the corner on "special people"
Work harder than others. Pray harder than others. Give more than others.

With all your might!
"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might"

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,221
  • Content Per Day:  1.17

15 hours ago, Walter and Deborah said:

8-20-19
Continued from: Humility Is Absolutely Necessary:

Yes, humility is the magnet that will attract God's grace upon your life. Humility is the CORE of who God is. Jesus said I AM humble and lowly.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,240
  • Topics Per Day:  0.50
  • Content Count:  4,365
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

8 hours ago, Worship Warriors said:

Yes, humility is the magnet that will attract God's grace upon your life. Humility is the CORE of who God is. Jesus said I AM humble and lowly.

Amen, :) I think, this is why we must always humble ourselves unto the mighty hands of our Lord Jesus Christ, that He will exalt us in due time.

1 Peter 5:6

• This is Worthy 1