• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Abdicate said:

I suppose so. But the way I look at it is like a rebellious kid is told he can't have the car after dark and takes it anyway and wrecks it. The "law" of the father was for the betterment of the child not to laud authority over them. My point is, when one is rebellious, all they hear is "law" equating it to do just the opposite. Then there's the other extreme where people becomes utter prisoners to the "law" absolutely defining every action or inaction based on "is it a law"?

My point is, we watch tons of videos on self-help and DIY (do it yourself) books to learn something on how to do it correctly. Here's a case in point:

Genesis 26:4-5
I will multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and will give to your offspring all these lands. And in your offspring all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because Abraham obeyed my voice and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

The word laws here is - Original: תּרה תּורה
- Transliteration: Towrah
- Phonetic: to-raw'
- Definition:  
1.  law, direction, instruction    
a.  instruction, direction (human or divine)   

The "Torah" that the Jews hold so dear wouldn't be around for another 430 or so years. So where does this "Torah" come from? God. It is just the right thing to do. Today, laws are made up to inflict damage on an idea, like the new law in India banning forced conversion which could be used by Hindus to persecute Christians. God's law only builds and enables.

I hope this helps.

I see what you are saying, that certain words carry nuanced meanings.  THe nuances of meaning may be different in the mind of the hearer than intended by the speaker.  In the case of the word Law, you are concerned that people will associate the Law of Moses with other systems of Law that exist, such as the recently enacted law in India that WILL result in persecution of Christians, Muslims, Sikhs, Jews, etc. 

I agree that such an mistaken association is possible.  Hopefully someone reading this topic will see your post and not make that association.

Your point, I believe, is to protect the precious nature of the rules and penalties contained in books 2-5 of the scriptures.

As to the use of the Hebrew word in that passage about Abraham from Genesis, I think we all wish we could get more information from that era.  But the scriptures have very little to say, and when we go to the outside sources for information about that era it gets really strange.

Thanks again

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  20

On 9/4/2019 at 8:58 PM, lftc said:

The most common understanding of the Torah is the first 5 books of the Hebrew and Christian scriptures.  Which is also commonly referred to as the Law of Moses, although many people tend to view that as starting in Exodus.  If you mean some other definition, please explain.

The books Exodus through Deuteronomy certainly include penalty.  I will leave you to read it and see for yourself as it is very important to read it.  And there are numerous instances of penalty, too many to post.  The instances of penalty are more common in Leviticus and going to the end.

Thanks!

You missed the point entirely.    Death is the penalty for sin,

but where is the TORAH, or the LAW,   "enforced" ?     'Read for yourself'  and see ....  God did not put speed traps out, and give tickets, fines or warnings to enforce TORAH / HIS WORD.....   Everyone who wants to break the law,    is able to go ahead and break the law.....   and remember what they say later in the Bible ?  -  'God has not done anything about anything for hundreds of years' (i.e. not enforced keeping the TORAH / LAW),  so we can do whatever we want to ......

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, simplejeff said:

You missed the point entirely.    Death is the penalty for sin,

but where is the TORAH, or the LAW,   "enforced" ?     'Read for yourself'  and see ....  God did not put speed traps out, and give tickets, fines or warnings to enforce TORAH / HIS WORD.....   Everyone who wants to break the law,    is able to go ahead and break the law.....   and remember what they say later in the Bible ?  -  'God has not done anything about anything for hundreds of years' (i.e. not enforced keeping the TORAH / LAW),  so we can do whatever we want to ......

I am not sure which point I missed in your estimation.  I'll leave the rest of you statement for evaulation by the readers.