• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/24/1989

In KJV 1 Cor 13:9 (can't remember exact verse) but it says that tongues will cease. The original Greek meanig for this word is pauo. In this verse the tense form of this word is future tense.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

Well if you read on it also says prophecy, special knowledge and tongues will all cease when the end comes, or when the completion comes. Other versions say that "which is perfect is come" (KJV and others have this wording) which to me obviously means when Jesus returns because when He has come to collect His church at the end, there will be no need for the spiritual giftings since we will be taken up to heaven to be with God! :emot-talk:

I agree with you! Some people say that that's not what they are talking about when seay "when perfect comes."

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

I agree with you! Some people say that that's not what they are talking about when seay "when perfect comes."

Yeah I've seen this debate before, where some say that the "perfect" is the Bible, but that doesn't make all that much sense since Jesus was and is the ONLY perfect thing in all of history.

Yup! A couple of people that I know have linked it to another verse, altho I can't think of it at the moment. It's weird....

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  286
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Yes, I pray in the spirit now. At first I was very worried that what I was doing was not from God, it was from me. And then I realized it was, and that was OK. I couldn't do it without the Holy Spirit, but the Holy Spirit wouldn't do it without my co-operation. So it is something you need to pursue, it isn't just going to happen. Umm... You know when you sense God's presence when you are worshipping? I felt that after a while, and then it's like my mouth doesn't want to stop moving. I could stop if I wanted too..but I don't want to.

This explination is 100% experience, I didn't include any scripture in it. Is that what you are looking for?

I hear people that have been practicing this for longer than I have say they feel energized, refreshed, streghthened, encouraged, and built up afterward. There is a book called "Chasing the Dragon" It's about a missionary who goes into Chinatown to help people and tell them about Jesus. She prays in the spirit, and you might find it interesting on how this played a major part in the ministry.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

Hello to all.

Might be a weird question but I am concerned for the fact I have never spoken in tongues, nor felt "drunken" in the spirit.

I have heard stories from people in prayer for a long time and it happening to him. While I have had sensational prayers, it still hasnt happened.

I just want to know how and when it happened to you. Any stories, because this might be helpful for me and possibly others.

Peace.

the first time, i was not seeking the Gifts, nor the infilling of the Spirit.

I was praying for a young lady that had a heart condition ( about 12or 13 years old ). I was drawn to pray for her. I was praying for her, and that was the last thing I recall before waking up sitting on the floor babbling stuff i did not understand about an hour later.

that was several years ago, and the last time i had spoken with the family, she had no more heart problems.

as far as giving messages in tongues, I have only been used one time and that was in a private setting with the interpretation following, have been used to interprete many times and have been used in other Gifts of the Spirit also.

none of the times i have been used did I make it happen other then just being obedient to the call of God....

I have also seen the abuse and misuse of the Gifts of the Spirit. this may be why so many fellowships dont want to see them used......

by the way.... if a person does not believe that the Gifts of the Spirit are in operation today, then why do they stand on the promises of Healing ( stating by Your Stripes ).... if they do not believe in tongues, interpretation, prophecy, word of knowledge, wisdom, discernment, faith, miricles... then healing is also part of them....

as a Born Again Christian, we all should have some discernment, some knowledge, some wisdom, some faith, so forth and so on, these Gifts are given at a time for a special need by the Spirit.....

the Gifts are t obe used to edify the Church, Exhalt God, and comfort others ( Deification, Exhaltation, and comfort )

praying in the Spirit is not the same as delivering a message in tongues, there is a differance.

I have even been held back by the Spirit from delivering a message ( interpretation or prophecy ) to either allow some one else to deliver it, or to let me know that the message is for me or that it is not the right time to deliver it. when this happens, i write it down in my note book, as I do with the dreams and visions i have..... my wife does the same.....

being allowed to woek in the Gifts is a wonderful thing, but please do not build a doctrine on them...... there are some fellowships that say a person is not saved unless they have spoken in tongues ( evidence of having the Holy Spirit in them ) i have seen some that never spoke in tongues and were used in interpretation or prophecy, or even healing and other gifts ....

while the Gifts are wonderful, we need to maintain our focus and actual purpose, and that is to fellowship with the Lord and bring other souls to Christ.

mike

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I have never even spoken in tongues, nor have I ever felt "drunken" in the Spirit. I'm not convinced that the mumbling and babbling tongues present most often in charismatic groups is what the biblical tongues actually is, and I don't know what "drunken" in the Spirit even means (unless filled with the Spirit is what is meant, but drunk implies something different to me) Regardless, neither one of these things are necessary for Christians, nor should anyone expect that all Christians would have them.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/21/1948

I have never even spoken in tongues, nor have I ever felt "drunken" in the Spirit. I'm not convinced that the mumbling and babbling tongues present most often in charismatic groups is what the biblical tongues actually is, and I don't know what "drunken" in the Spirit even means (unless filled with the Spirit is what is meant, but drunk implies something different to me) Regardless, neither one of these things are necessary for Christians, nor should anyone expect that all Christians would have them.

Amen, and amen. I believe exactly the same way. You do not need to speak in an unknown tongue to make it to the Kingdom of God. When you receive Jesus as your saviour, The Holy Spirit (Ghost) lives within us. It is not a separate happening. You do not need to be asking for the gift of the Holy Ghost, or to be slain in the spirit. that is in charismatic groups, that are hooked up in emotionalism.YSIC Littlelite

• 2 weeks later...