• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

You ask for the Holy Spirit, more of HIM...not the gift. Adore Him, praise Him, worship Him. The tongues follow.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Now, I believe it has ceased. I believe that it has passed away. 1 Corinthians 13, "Whether there be tongues they shall...(and it uses a reflective form of the verb) . . . cease by themselves." I believe when the end of the Apostolic Era came--tongues ceased. I believe that you can chronicle through the history of the church the cessation of tongues--they didn't exist, except in aberrant forms.

And 1 Corinthians 13 also mentions prophecy and knowledge ceasing as well, and they obviously have not ceased, so why would only tongues cease or be singled out. I think sometimes way too much emphasis is put on tongues and their importance, and it is a gift that can definitely be abused or mis-used, but it has not ceased any more than any of the other gifts have ceased. When God does not want us to do something, the bible is always very clear on it. But 1 Corinthians 14 (verse 39) instructs us not to forbid people from speaking in tongues. Pretty clear that the gift is still in use. Paul is looking forward here to the end of the age and our going home to be with the Lord, not our walk here on earth.

1Cor. 14:39 Clearly says "...forbid not to speak with tongues."

1Cor. 14:34 Clearly says "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permited unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law."

And since what was started in the first church is to flow right into todays church uninterrupted, let's start preaching loud and clear..."Let Your Women Keep Silent In The Church"sermons.

Come On Step up and start preaching it!

You see, there is a difference between now and then isn't there.

God Bless,

Daave

Now, I believe it has ceased. I believe that it has passed away. 1 Corinthians 13, "Whether there be tongues they shall...(and it uses a reflective form of the verb) . . . cease by themselves." I believe when the end of the Apostolic Era came--tongues ceased. I believe that you can chronicle through the history of the church the cessation of tongues--they didn't exist, except in aberrant forms.

And 1 Corinthians 13 also mentions prophecy and knowledge ceasing as well, and they obviously have not ceased, so why would only tongues cease or be singled out. I think sometimes way too much emphasis is put on tongues and their importance, and it is a gift that can definitely be abused or mis-used, but it has not ceased any more than any of the other gifts have ceased. When God does not want us to do something, the bible is always very clear on it. But 1 Corinthians 14 (verse 39) instructs us not to forbid people from speaking in tongues. Pretty clear that the gift is still in use. Paul is looking forward here to the end of the age and our going home to be with the Lord, not our walk here on earth.

1Cor. 14:34 Clearly says "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permited unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law."

And since what was started in the first church is to flow right into todays church uninterrupted, let's start preaching loud and clear..."Let Your Women Keep Silent In The Church"sermons.

God Bless,

Daave

Huh? Them's fightin' words!!! :thumbsup:

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

God Bless,

Daave

Huh? Them's fightin' words!!! :thumbsup:

I agree, the Bible teaches that woman are called by God to preach, then, in the past, and now.

Regarding women preachers;

God does call women to preach. There is as much contraversey regarding the subject, whether God calls women to preach as there is on all other doctrinal issues. Thankfully, as always, the Scriptures clear up this question like they do all others matters if we will but believe the Bible.

In the gospel there were several woman messengers who proclaimed the good news (Matt. 28:1-10; Luke 24:9-11; John 4:28-30; 20:16-18). In Acts we have a prediction that God will pour out of His Spirit in the last days "UPON ALL FLESH; and your sons and DAUGHTERS shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; and upon my servants and upon my HANDMAIDENS I will pour out of my Spirit and they will prophesy." Prophesying is explained in 1 Cor. 14:3-4 as "speaking unto MEN to edification and exhortation and comfort." Thats preaching, teaching, praying, in anyones language. and God says He will pour out His Spirit upon men and WOMEN to enable them to do this!

These following passages prove to any unbiased mind that prophesying is for the church which has men and WOMEN members (1 Cor. 12:1-13; 14:1-6, 12, 24-26, 29-33).

In Acts 21:8-9 we read Philip had four daughters that did prophecy or preach in the early church.

In Romans 16 we have Phebe, Priscilla, Mary Junia, Tryphosa, Persis, all female names, women mentioned as laborers in the gospel.

In Phil. 4:2-3 we have Euodias and Syntyche, two women who are emntioned as leaders in the local church at Philippi. They are refered to as "those WOMEN which labored with me in the Gospel."

Paul speakes of the Corinthian women prophesying and praying in church (1 Cor. 11:4; 14:1-5, 23-26).

When paul said for women to "keep silence in the church" he was not speaking of women prophesying or praying, but he referred to asking their husbands certain things at church. He said, "If they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home" and not in the church (1 Cor. 14:34-35). But that they could speak and prophecy and pray in church is clear from 1 Cor. 11:4; 14:3-4, 23-26; and Acts 2:16-21.

Women have been used in all ages by God, Read (Ex. 15:20; Judges 4:4; 2 Kings 22:14; 2 Chron. 34:22; Neh. 6:14; Isa. 8:3; Luke 1:39-56; 2:36). God is soverign and He can use a woman when He pleases and He does not have to ask some mere man whom He should use and whether He should use a women or man.

God Bless,

Daave

Huh? Them's fightin' words!!! :blink:

I agree, the Bible teaches that woman are called by God to preach, then, in the past, and now.

Regarding women preachers;

God does call women to preach. There is as much contraversey regarding the subject, whether God calls women to preach as there is on all other doctrinal issues. Thankfully, as always, the Scriptures clear up this question like they do all others matters if we will but believe the Bible.

In the gospel there were several woman messengers who proclaimed the good news (Matt. 28:1-10; Luke 24:9-11; John 4:28-30; 20:16-18). In Acts we have a prediction that God will pour out of His Spirit in the last days "UPON ALL FLESH; and your sons and DAUGHTERS shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; and upon my servants and upon my HANDMAIDENS I will pour out of my Spirit and they will prophesy." Prophesying is explained in 1 Cor. 14:3-4 as "speaking unto MEN to edification and exhortation and comfort." Thats preaching, teaching, praying, in anyones language. and God says He will pour out His Spirit upon men and WOMEN to enable them to do this!

These following passages prove to any unbiased mind that prophesying is for the church which has men and WOMEN members (1 Cor. 12:1-13; 14:1-6, 12, 24-26, 29-33).

In Acts 21:8-9 we read Philip had four daughters that did prophecy or preach in the early church.

In Romans 16 we have Phebe, Priscilla, Mary Junia, Tryphosa, Persis, all female names, women mentioned as laborers in the gospel.

In Phil. 4:2-3 we have Euodias and Syntyche, two women who are emntioned as leaders in the local church at Philippi. They are refered to as "those WOMEN which labored with me in the Gospel."

Paul speakes of the Corinthian women prophesying and praying in church (1 Cor. 11:4; 14:1-5, 23-26).

When paul said for women to "keep silence in the church" he was not speaking of women prophesying or praying, but he referred to asking their husbands certain things at church. He said, "If they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home" and not in the church (1 Cor. 14:34-35). But that they could speak and prophecy and pray in church is clear from 1 Cor. 11:4; 14:3-4, 23-26; and Acts 2:16-21.

Women have been used in all ages by God, Read (Ex. 15:20; Judges 4:4; 2 Kings 22:14; 2 Chron. 34:22; Neh. 6:14; Isa. 8:3; Luke 1:39-56; 2:36). God is soverign and He can use a woman when He pleases and He does not have to ask some mere man whom He should use and whether He should use a women or man.

Amen, brother~!! :whistling::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19

I was in a Baptist church for years and during that time, I wanted to speak in tongues but I wanted God more than anything...well, I went forward to recieve the baptism of the Spirit at conferences and some non-denominational churches but nothing happened. :noidea: Finally, God led me to the church I am in now and when I obeyed the scripture Acts 2:38 Then Peter said to them,"Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. thats when it happened for me. It doesnt always happen that way. But, for me it was just like the scripture said. I was baptized in Jesus' name and then I recieved the baptism of the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues.

Speaking in tongues was a sign to the apostles that people had recieved the Holy Spirit. The gift of tongues is different. So, seeking the gift of tongues and seeking the gift of the Holy Spirit are 2 different things. But, upon recieving the Holy Spirit, speaking in tongues just comes with it as it did all through the book of Acts.

An 8-yr old friend of my daughter came to church with us one morning and she was zealously seeking the gift of the Holy Spirit. She kept saying "Thank you for the Holy Spirit!" over and over and boom, the Lord gave it to her, she was speaking in tongues!

Acts 2:39

39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off-for all whom the Lord our God will call."

This isnt seeking the gifts and not the giver, to the contrary...if it is for you and your children and all who ask, then we are seeking the giver and more of Him! :24:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  27
  • Birthday:  12/31/1981

Just a few months ago I left the church I was at; a charismatic church. Finally when I separated myself from that church and looked from the outside in I realised that I had actually been part of a cult (I would really like to speak about it sometime to someone as I am still picking up the pieces in my life). That's another story all together. The experience I had there with tongues was: They believed in that church that every one should have and be able to speak in tongues. So what they would do is have other people stand around you and they would pray in their tongues. You were instructed to imitate the one word that you could hear the most clearly; the one word that stood out the most to you. You were told to hold on to this word and pray it always until maybe God gave you another word or language. Of course while I was there I did not do much questioning and Paul instructed. The NT mentions tongue speaking/tongue speaking occasions only but a few times. I do not believe that if you cannot speak in a tongue that you are less Christian or spiritual. Every one has their own personal journey with God. I that God every day that He has forgiven me for the things I did there and no, I do not use the 'tongue' I leaned there.

God speed

Just a few months ago I left the church I was at; a charismatic church. Finally when I separated myself from that church and looked from the outside in I realised that I had actually been part of a cult (I would really like to speak about it sometime to someone as I am still picking up the pieces in my life). That's another story all together. The experience I had there with tongues was: They believed in that church that every one should have and be able to speak in tongues. So what they would do is have other people stand around you and they would pray in their tongues. You were instructed to imitate the one word that you could hear the most clearly; the one word that stood out the most to you. You were told to hold on to this word and pray it always until maybe God gave you another word or language. Of course while I was there I did not do much questioning and Paul instructed. The NT mentions tongue speaking/tongue speaking occasions only but a few times. I do not believe that if you cannot speak in a tongue that you are less Christian or spiritual. Every one has their own personal journey with God. I that God every day that He has forgiven me for the things I did there and no, I do not use the 'tongue' I leaned there.

God speed

So sorry for you and your bad experience. Tongues are a blessing and they are not received by coercion. I pray that you receive healing and learn the truth about speaking in tongues as a blessing of Jesus on us when we seek Him, being bathed in His presence. :laugh:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  27
  • Birthday:  12/31/1981

Float

I'm sorry but you may have misinterpreted me. You are right in saying that tongues are a blessing. I just had a bad experience and I would love one day to receive the true gift of tongues. But as I stated, we all have our personal journeys with God and in His time He will heal me, which He has done in so many ways already.

Your friend in Christ.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  19

Lea-anne,

I hate that you had this experience. Unfortunately, this is what some teach. But, as the Bible says, tongues come as the Holy Spirit gives utterance. Not as you give utterance. Dont seek tongues. Instead, seek the baptism of the Holy Spirit. All through the book of Acts, when the church recieved the gift of the Holy Spirit, they spoke in tongues. It is for you and for all who will ask. Ask the Lord for the baptism of the Holy Spirit, He wants to give this to you, and it is fully biblical. Tongues are the result of recieving the baptism, the baptism is more important.

God bless you.

Edited by epainos