• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Hmmm, maybe what your friend needs is a good commentary on the Bible to help him through?

Halley's Bible Handbook is a pretty good one. Matthew Henry's is good for me, but might be a bit too deep for him at this point in his walk. There are many others, as well.

May the Lord guide him and keep him safe as he sets out now in Christ!

t.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,091
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Hmmm, maybe what your friend needs is a good commentary on the Bible to help him through?

Halley's Bible Handbook is a pretty good one. Matthew Henry's is good for me, but might be a bit too deep for him at this point in his walk. There are many others, as well.

May the Lord guide him and keep him safe as he sets out now in Christ!

t.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Halley's is a great resource! :24:

Guest Bon22

I find the NIV to have some deceiving errors, which completely transform the meaning of the original. I would not offer such a version to a new-found believer to the faith.

eg: the NIV erroneously translates Ephesians 2:15 as "ABOLISHING THE LAW", when the original language clearly tells us "ABOLISHED...THE ENMITY".

NIV

Ephesians 2:14 For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, 16 and in this one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility.

The NKJV is a better version, although not perfect.....but a good start.

NKJV

Ephesians 2:14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, 15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, 16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The NIV has completely altered the "only begotten Son" to terms that are false or misleading.

NIV

John1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

NIV

John 1:18 8No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only,who is at the Father's side, has made him known.

NJKV

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

NKJV

John 1:18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.

What does "One and Only" mean? One and only what? The Lord Jesus is not God's only Son. This is false as God has many sons. He is God's only begotten Son and is thus unique. You can see how the modern translations have tampered with the very foundation of Christianity. Using the NIV alone, you can't even prove that Yahshua the Messiah is the only begotten Son of God! Therefore, the NIV fails to prove the very foundation of the faith.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The NIV makes a further error in Isaiah 14. The NKJV accurately reports that Lucifer fell from heaven. The NIV removed the name Lucifer and replaced it with "morning star." Morning star is one of the titles for Yahshua. He is the bright and morning star! The new translations remove Lucifer and replace him with a title for the only begotten Son of God. Lucifer is out of the Bible while the Morning star fell from heaven.

NIV

Isaiah 14:12 How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn!

NKJV

Isaiah 14:12"How you are fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning!

NKJV

Revelation 22:16 "I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star."

I would stear clear of this version for your friend.

Shalom from Bon

Edited by Bon22

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

Good Observation.

Now I can see what people are going on about, when they say that there are critical errors in the NIV.

Are you a Old King James fan???

I'm a NKJV fan!!

Oh yes!! :thumbsup::wub:

Yomo

Guest Bon22
Good Observation.

Now I can see what people are going on about, when they say that there are critical errors in the NIV.

Are you a Old King James fan???

I'm a NKJV fan!!

Oh yes!! :thumbsup:  :wub:

Yomo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi yomotalking,

I'm not sure you are refering the question to me....but I will answer anyway.:wub:

I read from a scrappy old RSV, but make comparative studies from multiple translations and include Greek and Hebrew versions.

I have a KJV, Sterns Jewish New Testament, The Jerusalem Bible (the Holy Scriptures - Hebrew/English)

...plus many on-line versions that I can refer to quickly.

The reason I do this is to make sure that I am continuously aware of, and source out any translation discrepancies, so as not to be misinformed of the truth of the word of Yahweh.

Some of these translation errors are so subtle, but can dramatically change the whole meaning of the text. Just the addition of a comma placed at the discression of the editor, can be enough to alter entire church doctrine.

...and my favourite two words in the world are CONTEXT and HARMONY. :wub:

Shalom from Bon

• Topic Count:  156
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

There are many errors in the NIV translation beyond what Bon22 has posted. But its not only the NIV that has discrepancies and uses words that deviate from the true meaning. In all the efforts to translate the Bible to modern language many mistakes have been made. Some are even of the opinion that these mistakes are possibly intentional. I would not recommend a "beginners Bible" as it were, but I would recommend diligent Bible study GROUPS. Your friend may also buy the KJV or NIV/NLT dvd bible at Wal-mart of all places. You can read along with the narator and pause when needed to make notes or highlight in your study Bible. I guess the version you begin with is not as important as ones devotion. The BEST and most important thing for a fledgling Christian is being with other Christians. Obviously fellowship cannot replace hard study, but knowledge is not wisdom, and we all need a regular dose of seeing the word at work in the lives of others. I wouldn't think too hard on what version is the best. Have faith that whatever version/translation you are reading , the Holy Spirit will be sure you see only the truth and you will not be able to be mislead when you trust yourself to his care.

Your brother in Christ,

Joly

• Topic Count:  109
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,278
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

I say go with a Thompsons Chain Reference NIV. :)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  424
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

:thumbsup: Edited by hopper

• Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

Great!

I thought this was gonna be a KJV only Thread...

As it turned out, it didn't!!!

You were lucky, Hopper!!! :24::emot-pray::wub::):24::24:

Yomo

:24:

:b:

:b:

Guest harkaro

I would highly reccomend NIV but if they are new and looking for a way to understand better and connect also get them "The Message" but stress they should use it along with their NIV. It's written in today's language with our analogies etc etc.