• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

21 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Sorry for messing up the thread. :b: 

Oh it's fine. I'm not so much of a stickler on thread topics. Most of the time I derail my own threads. Feel free to take this thread to where ever it needs to go.  

My understanding as to why this 1000.00 ideal came about is because many jobs are being replaced by  technology.  My husband works on the robots in auto plants and factories. Many of the robotics he programs have taken the place of people. That has been good in some ways because the jobs were just too dangerous for humans to do. Some parts too heavy for humans to lift.  Anyway, it seems we are coming to an age to where many jobs once done by humans are being replaced by technology. Even my job as a cashier is being replace by self-scanners.(I hate them things and try not to use them)  This is I feel an issue that needs to be addressed. I think it is not so much that people don't want to work. But that jobs are being replaced by technology.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,584
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

54 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

This is I feel an issue that needs to be addressed.

54 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

I think it is not so much that people don't want to work. But that jobs are being replaced by technology.  

My own experience trying to hire individuals is that they (many) have very high opinions of themselves. So high that most work is considered to be beneath their station. They won't starve by not working, so they just don't work at what is available and which they could do. 

Right now unemployment is at all time low rates, jobs go wanting, minimum wages are at all time highs. Real world starting wages are at all time highs too. Yet so is housing costs, least in some areas.

The subject of help wanted is topic number one in the new to me community I now spend time living in. Signs are in every building HELP WANTED. Other signs read CLOSED TODAY DUE TO LACK OF HELP AVAILABLE. I couldn't believe it when I first saw that appearing. Even the business owners wouldn't try to work when their shops were understaffed.

I really can't define "the problem" in relationship to a solution and evidently the business councils meeting can't either.

I just know that I before my "retirement" I  was offering $17 an hour to start as general custodial help and could not get takers just a very few years ago. It seems to be getting worse.

Evidently individuals are now thinking every job is supposed to pay enough to provide food clothing and fun money for a family of six or more. Doesn't work that way, never has. We always needed the income  from three to four jobs plus passive income in order to financially prosper.

With the problem of securing anyone to work at all we should add the inhibition of a $1000 a month freebie to all whether they work or not? I think that will just make the situation that much worse.

With the compassionate exception  of providing help to those physically or mentally disabled, or aged widows and orphans, there should be no free money to anyone. It kills the spirit of the able recipient.

Those that have much are to allow those that don't to "glean"  of what they produce, but are not to pick, deliver, cook, and serve it so that those that do not have also have no need to move about and try to work at improving their own lot by working among the thistles  for themselves.

• Group:  Royal Member

21 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

My own experience trying to hire individuals is that they (many) have very high opinions of themselves. So high that most work is considered to be beneath their station. They won't starve by not working, so they just don't work at what is available and which they could do. 

Right now unemployment is at all time low rates, jobs go wanting, minimum wages are at all time highs. Real world starting wages are at all time highs too. Yet so is housing costs, least in some areas.

The subject of help wanted is topic number one in the new to me community I now spend time living in. Signs are in every building HELP WANTED. Other signs read CLOSED TODAY DUE TO LACK OF HELP AVAILABLE. I couldn't believe it when I first saw that appearing. Even the business owners wouldn't try to work when their shops were understaffed.

I really can't define "the problem" in relationship to a solution and evidently the business councils meeting can't either.

I just know that I before my "retirement" I  was offering $17 an hour to start as general custodial help and could not get takers just a very few years ago. It seems to be getting worse.

Evidently individuals are now thinking every job is supposed to pay enough to provide food clothing and fun money for a family of six or more. Doesn't work that way, never has. We always needed the income  from three to four jobs plus passive income in order to financially prosper.

With the problem of securing anyone to work at all we should add the inhibition of a $1000 a month freebie to all whether they work or not? I think that will just make the situation that much worse.

With the compassionate exception  of providing help to those physically or mentally disabled, or aged widows and orphans, there should be no free money to anyone. It kills the spirit of the able recipient.

Those that have much are to allow those that don't to "glean"  of what they produce, but are not to pick, deliver, cook, and serve it so that those that do not have also have no need to move about and try to work at improving their own lot by working among the thistles  for themselves.

Maybe much depends on where you live.   Some places there is much work with few workers. Other places, more people then jobs.  Not every place is the same. Well, it is just a thought. 

Wonder what  just the distribution cost of handing out free money might be?

Wonder how high the fences will have to be to keep "others" out of the land of yet more free money to all over 18?

14 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Maybe much depends on where you live.   Some places there is much work with few workers. Other places, more people then jobs.  Not every place is the same. Well, it is just a thought. 

Give everyone free wheels to move about in then? 

Moving is not all that bad a thing. Seems God wants especially us to be on the move anyway.

Back in the day of my youth (way back before dirt was invented) when I needed money I did piecework, picked baskets full of carrots at Bugs Bunny Brand Farms got 35 cents a bushel. I bid on more piece work and filled half ounce glue bottles and labeled them for 2 cents each if I also put the caps together.  Your triple AAA car insurance sticker was stuffed into envelops by me. I even babysat, polished neighbors cars, rode an egg delivery truck around Los Angeles at four in the morning, delivered furniture for a wood furniture store, plus other high end career choices. 

Finally  I added answering telephones for a local funeral home nights, which led to a career choice that fed me and eventually my family for decades. There were few if any rules for working, for wages, or  for overtime. Benefits were - Don't miss work when sick, if you do you will find someone has taken your place and your job.

And yes I also grew up walking to school in the snow deep snow uphill both ways. So I do have a very different perspective from that of today's breed of USA raised human. Perhaps it is my generation that has spoiled those of today's potential workforce.

Just realized, 35 cents a bushel for stooping in the dirt picking carrots, - now farmers cannot get field workers  to pick anything for even $17 an hour at Washington State USA.

The times they are a changing, now work itself is a bit of a dirty word for many, What me work? really work, and for how much, and for how many hours a day? No, no thanks. I'll sit and wait for my government freebie. 

13 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Give everyone free wheels to move about in then? 

Moving is not all that bad a thing. Seems God wants especially us to be on the move anyway.

Back in the day of my youth (way back before dirt was invented) when I needed money I did piecework, picked baskets full of carrots at Bugs Bunny Brand Farms got 35 cents a bushel. I bid on more piece work and filled half ounce glue bottles and labeled them for 2 cents each if I also put the caps together.  Your triple AAA car insurance sticker was stuffed into envelops by me. I even babysat, polished neighbors cars, rode an egg delivery truck around Los Angeles at four in the morning, delivered furniture for a wood furniture store, plus other high end career choices. 

Finally  I added answering telephones for a local funeral home nights, which led to a career choice that fed me and eventually my family for decades. There were few if any rules for working, for wages, or  for overtime. Benefits were - Don't miss work when sick, if you do you will find someone has taken your place and your job.

And yes I also grew up walking to school in the snow deep snow uphill both ways. So I do have a very different perspective from that of today's breed of USA raised human. Perhaps it is my generation that has spoiled those of today's potential workforce.

Your preaching to the wrong person. Back in my 20's I worked 2 jobs. One at a discount store and one at a grocery story. My hrs. where 9-5 then 6-11. I did this until I got full time at the discount store. Before that I worked at a box factory. The hrs, being 4am till 4:30pm.  But that was way back then before I had a family.  So don't think that I am one of them spoiled lay abouts.  Yet I am open to ideals that could  make lives better. Nothing wrong with exploring ideals. :)

12 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

now farmers cannot get field workers  to pick anything for even $17 an hour at Washington State USA.

17.00hr!  Farm workers don't make that much here! I don't think anyone makes that much where I am. The factories  here start you out at 8.00 or 11.00 hr. And they all go through a temp service so they don't have to pay benefits.  Anything else is minim wedge.   

10 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

So don't think that I am one of them spoiled lay abouts.  Yet I am open to ideals that could  make lives better. Nothing wrong with exploring ideals.

Hi, not preaching, but just reminiscing and wondering what is the change that has so many refusing to make an effort to find honest endeavors in work.

I too am exploring both housing and work force "needs" wondering if my time is so long past  that I should just sit back myself or if there is opportunity to be of some use. And yes I do wonder if there is not opportunity for Shaker Village type living communes for at least some. Something with standards for those that do opt to take up residence and to do work too.

6 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, not preaching, but just reminiscing and wondering what is the change that has so many refusing to make an effort to find honest endeavors in work.

I too am exploring both housing and work force "needs" wondering if my time is so long past  that I should just sit back myself or if there is opportunity to be of some use. And yes I do wonder if there is not opportunity for Shaker Village type living communes for at least some. Something with standards for those that do opt to take up residence and to do work too.

I have enjoyed our chat. Keep the thoughts flowing. :)

• Thanks 1