IGNORED

Does Everyone Here Take The Adam And Eve Story Literally?

ReneeIW

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

15 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

How do you decide what bits are literal? This is a new concept to me, and an interesting one.

Commonly referred to as, "cherry-picking". Some or perhaps more than I'd like to imagine, derive their doctrine of beliefs by taking parts of what they choose to believe, while ignoring or disbelieving the remainder of the gospel of truth. At least Joe admits to thinking the New Testament can be taken literally as a whole. I'll give that much to his credit. Sad to be so restricted of the entirety of the Old and New Testament truths. It beautifly co-joins in a blessedness of experience.  

Edited by BeauJangles

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

35 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

How do you decide what bits are literal? This is a new concept to me, and an interesting one.

Good question. I balance a number of factors.

The scriptures content.

The historical and cultural background of the scripture.

I will meditate upon it and see if the Spirit of God within that I have been gifted with has any thing to say on the matter.

These three factors in combination will give me an answer.

How do you decide?

1 hour ago, BeauJangles said:

Have you ever accepted Jesus Christ as your Saviour and Lord? Your posts don't seem indicative of a true Christian believer. Thanks if you care to respond. 

Looks like I'm not going to get an answer to this one. Oh, well... :huh:

44 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

For example the story of Adam and Eve. Its content is very unlikely and disproven by science which doesnt mean its figurative because God can do the impossible although it makes it slightly more likely to be figurative. 

It's written in a time and culture where humanity and particularly its authors wrote a lot of figurative stories to convey big universal truths which this would fit well.

It doesnt have any functional effect ony life and actions as a Christian or contradict any other part of the bible (which I have carefully read cover to cover more than once I'd hasten to add)  either way so I'd consider it possible either way.

The manor in which it's written doesnt seem literal, it seems grand and theatrical in manor youd expect a figurative story like this to be written.

And finally after prayer and meditation to consult its ultimate author I reach the conviction it is most likely figurative.

That's an example. I think generally what I consider to be literal and figurative is the same as most Christian's,  it's just the creation story that's a controversial one for some people. No idea why it hits so many sore spots though.

19 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Looks like I'm not going to get an answer to this one. Oh, well... :huh:

You have speak to people properly if you want to have a calm sensible conversation. If you are needlessly inflammatory and insulting then sensible people wont want to discuss things with you.

Now it's hard to tell on the internet because 90 per cent of communication is lost and we are stuck with text only but you come across as wanting an argument.

In response to your question I am a baptised disciple of Christ yes. I am not however a religious person and I choose to speak in plain English.

1 hour ago, joebloggs said:

You have speak to people properly if you want to have a calm sensible conversation. If you are needlessly inflammatory and insulting then sensible people wont want to discuss things with you.

I'd be more than obligated to you, if you'll post the supposed insult slinging, and give you the most heartfelt humble apology. I'm certainly not too old to think myself above correction on any subject, matter, or topic. There remains much for me to learn. Perhaps you could help me out on the situation.  

1 hour ago, joebloggs said:

In response to your question I am a baptised disciple of Christ yes. I am not however a religious person and I choose to speak in plain English.

Well, here the deal. That's not quite the direct answer I'm looking for you to respond. Just a simple,"Yes, I have." or "No, I haven't" will suffice. This says little. Anyone can say they're baptized and therefore a disciple of Christ. I was baptized at age 12, and by confession of Christ as Saviour.

Was I saved though? Probably, but young and ignorant of doctrinal understanding. At 17, again I came to the Lord, asked Him to be my Saviour, sought Him in forgiveness of sins, and determined in my heart to follow Him to the best of my ability. Just being baptized is a bit short of the mark. 

3 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Have you ever accepted Jesus Christ as your Saviour and Lord? Your posts don't seem indicative of a true Christian believer. Thanks if you care to respond. 

If you've done this, I'll take your word on it. And you'll also get an apology for any rude or demeaning statement I may have made towards you. I never intended to insult your intelligence. I just don't understand why you can't believe the word of God as it stands. That makes your doctrine unstable and wobbly. Why waver just because something doesn't sound logical to you? 

Edited by BeauJangles

Hi @joebloggs

Just one more question if you don't mind my asking. You are in agreement with the literal meanings of the New Testament, as I understand you. But, is it only the issue of Adam as first created man from the Lord God you doubt, or is there anything else in the Old Testament you can't quite fathom as truth? It seems indicative you feel some are legends, and not actual events as are told by the holy followers of the Great I Am. Only curious. Thanks. God bless. 

Shalom,

David/BeauJangles

1 hour ago, BeauJangles said:

Hi @joebloggs

Just one more question if you don't mind my asking. You are in agreement with the literal meanings of the New Testament, as I understand you. But, is it only the issue of Adam as first created man from the Lord God you doubt, or is there anything else in the Old Testament you can't quite fathom as truth? It seems indicative you feel some are legends, and not actual events as are told by the holy followers of the Great I Am. Only curious. Thanks. God bless. 

Shalom,

David/BeauJangles

So I think what is required in terms of becoming a christian we are maybe on the same page maybe not. 

I think you need to accept Jesus into your heart, follow his teachings and get baptized. And getting dipped as a baby doesnt count for me. I consider a baptism full body immersion in water of an adult that accepts Jesus as Lord and saviour and has a good solid understanding of Jesus basic teachings. So when I say a baptised disciple it's a given for me that person has accepted Jesus into their heart and followed through with a verbal commitment and understands his teachings to a basic level.

And as for the quoted question.... you have said I dont consider parts of the old testament truth. I consider all of the old testament true and the entire bible truth. I consider it more likely than not that the creation story with Adam and Eve is figurative rather than literal. The lessons within being the same and just as valid. And I would think in my personal case the creation story with Adam and Eve is a unique case in that it isn't explicitly stated that its figurative. But in hindsight thousands of years later with our scientific knowledge its reasonably obvious that my body isn't made of dust, its 99 per cent water. 

7 hours ago, joebloggs said:

I think you need to accept Jesus into your heart, follow his teachings and get baptized.

Yes, that's the answer I was looking for. These are the basics of salvation as they are understood. 

So I think what is required in terms of becoming a christian we are maybe on the same page maybe not. 

Indeed, we are on the same page concerning this. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. 

I would think in my personal case the creation story with Adam and Eve is a unique case in that it isn't explicitly stated that its figurative.

Sure. I can also understand this is your personal interpretation. Some women I've met believe the first created woman was Lilith. This is a Jewish pagan belief, and I know you've not mentioned her. You did mention not knowing whether the first created man even had a name, if correctly recalled. You are the first Christian I've met here who does not believe according to the way the word of God has been translated. It's okay. 

Lilith (/ ˈ l ɪ l ɪ θ / ; Hebrew : לִילִית Lîlîṯ) is a figure in Jewish mythology, developed earliest in the Babylonian Talmud (3rd to 5th century CE). Lilith is often envisioned as a dangerous demon of the night, who is sexually wanton, and who steals babies in the darkness.

Joe, allow me the opportunity to personally apologize to you for any misunderstandings between us. If I came off as snarky or rude in any responses to or about you, I'm truly sorry for that. Thanks, and God bless you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54

I didn’t know this threat was hopping again. Lol Will have to read through the replies.?