• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  415
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

The Parable of The Rich Fool

Luke 12:16-21 He spoke a parable to them, saying, "The ground of a certain rich man brought forth abundantly. He reasoned within himself, saying, ‘What will I do, because I don’t have room to store my crops?’ He said, ‘This is what I will do. I will pull down my barns, and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. I will tell my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years. Take your ease, eat, drink, be merry."‘ "But God said to him, ‘You foolish one, tonight your soul is required of you. The things which you have prepared—whose will they be?’ So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."  (web)

Discussion Questions

What was wrong about the rich man's attitude?
When you have extra time, money, or resources, what do you tend to spend them on?
What would you do if you were rich? Are you rich?
Have you thought about retirement?
What should our ideal purpose in life be?
What does it mean to be rich toward God?

Comments

Notice Jesus attributes the good crop not directly to the rich man but to the ground. The rich man did not produce the good crop, the ground did. When people are successful they are quick to congratulate themselves and attribute their success solely to themselves. But they are much more subject to circumstances and "luck" then they may admit.

• (By "luck", I am not leaving God out of the picture, for it is written: "The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD."Prov 16:33 God determines the outcome of every particular stochastic event)

The rich man did not view himself as a servant of God, nor his resources as responsibilities entrusted to him by God. Rather he viewed himself as the one being served, and his resources as toys to play with. This is an attitude of greedy covetousness, which is quite common among the rich, who make it their goal to retire and take it easy, or to do whatever satisfies their passions. But the more we have, the more we will be held responsible for. To be rich toward God is not to be poor in material things, but rather to use what resources God has entrusted to us to the furtherance of His Kingdom.

Although I don't know the statistics on the matter, I've also heard that it is quite typical for people to die soon after retirement if they lose a sense of purpose and usefulness in life. For we were made to be servants - as Christ was in his human form. And when we depart from that purpose, we lose our life.

"And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again." 2Co 5:15
A rich man's field produced a big gain
But what would he do with all that grain?
"I have no place to store my crops."
I filled my barns all the way to their tops.
I'll tear them down and build ones bigger
And then retire while I still have vigor
I'll take life easy and bask by the pool
But God said to him, "You are a fool! 
Tonight you'll die, you'll go on the shelf
Then who will get what you prepared for yourself?"
So it will be for those who hoard 
Things for themselves but not for the Lord

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,664
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 hours ago, bcbsr said:

What was wrong about the rich man's attitude?
When you have extra time, money, or resources, what do you tend to spend them on?
What would you do if you were rich? Are you rich?
Have you thought about retirement?
What should our ideal purpose in life be?
What does it mean to be rich toward God?

Hi, thanks for the thread topic.

responses to six q's asked:

1. Perhaps nothing. It is good to prepare for tomorrow, just don't hoard, nor worry excessively about it; as the parable made aware it may never come. Live today fully too (Live as the bond-servant lives).

2. Extra money, no such thing far as I know. What I do with the perfect provision provided me each day by God, the left hand doesn't know of the right's doing.  

3. If I were rich?  I would do the same things the same way. Am I rich, well yes I am rich for my Lord and savior loves me richly. He even came and died,  descended, and arose, and ascended again, as the first fruits of many to come- He did so  for me personally, and personally for many.

4. I never thought about retirement, until I was led to leave my post injured, too injured to do my duty to  my standard and I believe God's as well. Then I found myself unemployed either for others or myself, and am now being led yet again, perhaps to a seventh life's career.

5. I do not really ascribe to terms like our  and we. I'm an individual and am treated as such by God who created me.  My purpose  is whatever God has foreknown and predestined it to be.

6. Haven't a clue what that means, to anyone; though I know of the parable and reference. I am enriched in ability by the Holy Spirit alone to see Christ alone as my salvation which I treasure. I am readied by God fo r my soul  to be called this day. If that is enriched then I am enriched, if not I am whatever being readied by God's sovereign will alone is good enough. I'll be called to be with Him eternally , that I do know with certainty. Have no idea when  nor how, nor with any merit benefitting me a garland to place in worship to Jesus  or not. As I say I do not much know of the right hand nor the left and they do not share much information with each other either.

Though; every once in a while I get to see in the rearview mirror  how something worked together for good for those  that have come to believe on Jesus as their Lord and personal savior. That is  pretty darn cool to see, - even if the wording  of the image reads backwards within that mirrored image..

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

We should not hoard wealth to ourselves. We should bless others. This can be family members as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

We should not hoard wealth to ourselves. We should bless others. This can be family members as well. 

Oh I don't know. I like to hoard family members and keep that blessing for me. I also like to hoard  family members especially  the "church". Much wealth for me, and I am hoarding it all indeed. Just grabbing on and won't let go.

Some hoard cardboard and think it is wealth. I knew a lady that hoarded corn on the cob, sad but true. She used to stuff buttered  corn in her sweater, poor old soul. She is gone from such a plight now.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

1 minute ago, Neighbor said:

Oh I don't know. I like to hoard family members and keep that blessing for me. I also like to hoard  family members especially  the "church". Much wealth for me, and I am hoarding it all indeed. Just grabbing on and won't let go.

Some hoard cardboard and think it is wealth. I knew a lady that hoarded corn on the cob, sad but true. She used to stuff buttered  corn in her sweater, poor old soul. She is gone from such a plight now.

I thought the parable was about hoarding money. If you are talking about hoarding other items you are getting into OCD hoarding. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.37

bcbsr,

I love proverbs. It's a great lesson for anyone who only thinks of providing for their earthly life with no thoughts of making provisions for their eternal home.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645

5 hours ago, bcbsr said:

A rich man's field produced a big gain
But what would he do with all that grain?
"I have no place to store my crops."
I filled my barns all the way to their tops.
I'll tear them down and build ones bigger
And then retire while I still have vigor
I'll take life easy and bask by the pool
But God said to him, "You are a fool! 
Tonight you'll die, you'll go on the shelf
Then who will get what you prepared for yourself?"
So it will be for those who hoard 
Things for themselves but not for the Lord

Good stuff bcbsr. I'm glad to see a real discussion on the teachings of Christ. So, while I believe that you covered it pretty well and so won't belabor the initial point at this time, I'm just curious as to the origins of the little poem.

• Topic Count:  415
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

54 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

Good stuff bcbsr. I'm glad to see a real discussion on the teachings of Christ. So, while I believe that you covered it pretty well and so won't belabor the initial point at this time, I'm just curious as to the origins of the little poem.

I wrote it. I have a book out "Bible Rap" containing all my poems, available on Amazon.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645

It's pretty creative. Good job!

19 minutes ago, bcbsr said:

I wrote it. I have a book out "Bible Rap" containing all my poems, available on Amazon.

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I thought the parable was about hoarding money. If you are talking about hoarding other items you are getting into OCD hoarding. 

Sorry I was just trying to not hoard my obtuse humor, but instead share of it.

Me thinks there is need of a "deadpan" smilie.