marvelloustime

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  206
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5,608
  • Content Per Day:  2.82
  • Days Won:  33

VERSE OF THE DAY: “You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.” - Psalm 16:11

Fight the Good Fight for Joy
By Mark Altrogge

listen-to-this-devotional-icon

Christians should be marked by joy. Joy is one of the fruits of the Spirit. If knowing Jesus doesn’t bring us a deeper joy than those who don’t know him, what’s the point? This doesn’t mean Christians don’t suffer and experience depression, discouragement, sadness and grief. Paul said in 2 Co 6:10 that he was “sorrowful, yet always rejoicing.” So somehow, even in the throes of sorrow, Paul had joy.

Jesus promised us joy. “These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full” (John 15:11). Ultimately our fullness of joy will be in heaven. But Jesus wants us to know his joy now. Believers begin to produce the fruit of the Spirit in this life, and one of those fruits is joy.

Ps 16:11 says “in your presence there is fullness of joy.” Though fullness of joy awaits us in heaven, we begin to taste that joy in this life.

So how do we experience Christ’s joy now? As John Piper says, it’s a fight, part of the good fight of faith. Here are some ways to fight:

Realize that all lasting joy is found in Christ. Jeremiah 2:13 says “for my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that can hold no water.” When we look to anything else but Jesus for lasting joy we’ll come up empty.

Abide in Christ. Seek him, walk with him, rest in him, trust him. In John 15:9-11 Jesus said: “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.”

Take in God’s Word. Jeremiah 15:16 says, “Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart.” God’s word is a conduit of his joy to us. As we continue to take it in, believe and obey it, it becomes a joy and delight. His promises give us hope and make us glad.

Thank him and praise him for as much as you can. Thank him for spiritual blessings and material blessings. A thankful heart is a joyful heart.

Ask Jesus for joy. As David prayed in Psalm 51:12: “Restore to me the joy of your salvation.”

Contemplate your salvation and heaven to come. In Luke 10:20 Jesus said, “Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”

Tell yourself to hope in God. David took himself by the collar and shook himself in Psalm 42:5-6 and said, “Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.”

55582-bsm263.jpg

Jesus came for our joy. Sometimes it’s not easy to experience, but if we continue to abide in Christ it will be worth it. No one in heaven will say it wasn’t worth going through what they went through on earth. So don’t give up. Keep fighting the good fight.

Editor’s Note: This was adapted from the original article, How to Fight the Good Fight for Joy, found here.

https://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/bible-study-minute/fight-the-good-fight-for-joy-bible-study-minute-july-18-2018.html?utm_source=Christianity.com Daily Inspirations&utm_campaign=Christianity.com Daily Inspirations&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2973785&bcid=5da31583941ac0436f866785e89f41c2&recip=547950175

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

376145035_joyoftheLordismystrengthNehemiah810.jpg.ddc1a0b880185a51eb753113ddf45650.jpg

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  513
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,194
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

@marvelloustime

Me likes the joy that only comes through knowing Him. 

Many blessings as our joy in Him grows,  Not me 

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

2 minutes ago, Not me said:

@marvelloustime

Amen to that @Not me

Becky.

• Loved it! 2

6 minutes ago, Not me said:

@marvelloustime

@Not me :amen: Praise the Lord!

That immediately brought a scripture and an old hymn to mind!

Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory" (1 Peter 1:8)

:DWho remembers this one?

Joy Unspeakable lyrics

I have found His grace is all complete,
He supplieth ev’ry need;
While I sit and learn at Jesus’ feet,
I am free, yes, free indeed.

Refrain

It is joy unspeakable and full of glory,
Full of glory, full of glory,
Oh, the half has never yet been told.

I have found the pleasure I once craved,
It is joy and peace within;
What a wondrous blessing! I am saved
From the awful gulf of sin.

Refrain

I have found that hope so bright and clear,
Living in the realm of grace;
Oh, the Savior’s presence is so near,
I can see His smiling face.

Refrain

I have found the joy no tongue can tell,
How its waves of glory roll!
It is like a great o’erflowing well,
Springing up within my soul.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

2 minutes ago, turtletwo said:

@Not me :amen: Praise the Lord!

That immediately brought a scripture and an old hymn to mind!

Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory" (1 Peter 1:8)

:DWho remembers this one?

Joy Unspeakable lyrics

I have found His grace is all complete,
He supplieth ev’ry need;
While I sit and learn at Jesus’ feet,
I am free, yes, free indeed.

Refrain

Full of glory, full of glory,
Oh, the half has never yet been told.

I have found the pleasure I once craved,
It is joy and peace within;
What a wondrous blessing! I am saved
From the awful gulf of sin.

Refrain

I have found that hope so bright and clear,
Living in the realm of grace;
Oh, the Savior’s presence is so near,
I can see His smiling face.

Refrain

I have found the joy no tongue can tell,
How its waves of glory roll!
It is like a great o’erflowing well,
Springing up within my soul.

I don’t remember the hymn but I agree with the truths put forth! :)

To get to know Him more and more on a one and one bases. Can there be anything more wonderful and glorious?

Be so blessed as we strive to finish our courses so that we might get a abundant welcome, Not me 

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

@turtletwo I haven’t heard of that hymn, but it has beautiful lyrics. Thank you for sharing it. You are so gifted at poem writing, I almost feel like asking if you wrote it! 

@Not me What a lovely way of wording it. Strive to finish our courses so that we might get an abundant welcome. Amen. Let’s hope we are all now on our dessert! Hehe.

• Loved it! 2

9 minutes ago, Not me said:

To get to know Him more and more on a one and one bases. Can there be anything more wonderful and glorious?

@Not me I know just what you mean. May I answer your question with a resounding "No! NOTHING more wonderful and glorious."? (Also, sooo important to me... the joy of unsaved loved ones coming to know Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.)

But for ME (my life), I'd agree nothing tops that sacred, precious closeness with Him. His sweet fellowship and matchless presence!!!

And how I long to one day hear Him say, as in Matthew 25:21-

"His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord."

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

10 minutes ago, turtletwo said:

@Not me I know just what you mean. May I answer your question with a resounding "No! NOTHING more wonderful and glorious."? (Also, sooo important to me... the joy of unsaved loved ones coming to know Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.)

But for ME (my life), I'd agree nothing tops that sacred, precious closeness with Him. His sweet fellowship and matchless presence!!!

And how I long to one day hear Him say, as in Matthew 25:21-

"His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord."

The joy of a loved one coming to Christ is very great,  it even causes the Angels in Heaven to rejoice. 

But if I may, I too have struggled with some I love, that don’t seem to know Christ, or aren’t established in Him much.... So I’ve struggled on what the proper stance should be??

I’ve concluded that the greatest help I can be to them, is to get as close to Christ as I possibly can. I’m sure you see and understand the thought, but to encourage do I write. 

Be blessed, as we give Him our all, Not me 

Edited by Not me
  • This is Worthy 2

3 minutes ago, marvelloustime said:

You are so gifted at poem writing, I almost feel like asking if you wrote it! 

Awww. Thanks for the kind comment. That is sweet of you. I recall singing it as a child at church. It would be interesting to trace the history of it, though... now that you mention it. :) I will look into that and post it in my "stories behind the hymns" thread. 

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1