IGNORED

How do we forgive ourselves and move forward?

Revlori

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  1

Romans 3:23 For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.

Sin takes us further then we had ever intended on going.  When we give into sin, It pulls us down to doing things that we never thought we could do.

Romans 7:15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do

Sin never only hurts just the person who sinned. It brings pain, suffering, distress, shame, guilt, damage, hurt, harm and consequences to the one who sins and to others who one sins against or to those who may know you.

Galatians 5:19-21 19The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

As born again Christians, we are to try and avoid sin, however even at our greatest attempts to avoid sin and live right before God, we fall short. We sin! Sometimes we sin so badly that we cant seem to find forgiveness for ourselves from ourselves.

The questions  then remain for Christians are: How do we forgive ourselves and move on?

As we realize that we have a loving saviour, Jesus Christ.

The very first act of forgiving ourselves is to seek his forgiveness first.

Psalm 32:5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD." And you forgave the guilt of my sin.

Know you are not above Christ! What does this mean? If Christ has forgiven you ( which he has if you confessed them to him and ask his pardon) Are you then greater then he, by saying I will not forgive myself?  You see we follow the example of Christ, we learn from him, what he does we are to do. Paul tells us plainly that there is “now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1). He also says that “if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new” (II Corinthians 5:17). If you continue to condemn yourself  and not forgive yourself after receiving the grace and forgiveness of Christ,then you are setting yourself above him. This may sound harsh, however Christ has paid the highest price for you and holding unforgiveness against yourself after he forgives you, then what are you doing for what he's done for you?

Proverbs 28:13 People who conceal their sins will not prosper, but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy.

The second act of forgiving yourself and moving on is: ( if possible) make things right with anyone whom you may have hurt.

A) apologize with a sincere heart.

B) show love

Galatians 5:13-14 For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

If this isn't possible (because the person that you hurt won't receive this) you must:

A) show them respect and give them the distance they need!

B) pray for them!

C) know that whatever there response is toward you, this will not alter Christ's decision to forgive you! 

The third act toward forgiving yourself and moving on is to turn over a new leaf!

whatever the sin was, there is always a way of righteousness to replace it.

Isaiah 1:17 Learn to do good...

Colossians 3:5-6 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Don’t be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world. Because of these sins, the anger of God is coming.

Thanks for reading, may this help  you to forgive yourself and begin new!

God bless ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.85
  • Days Won:  5

If you believe Paul’s Gospel and thereby have become a member of the Body of Christ , one’s sins are not only forgiven— they are forgotten ! Do the same thing with your sin that God does......put them on the Cross and leave them there.Don't be surprised if God chooses to chastise you.Your Salvation is  still intact. That was a gift, remember ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

21 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

If you believe Paul’s Gospel and thereby have become a member of the Body of Christ , one’s sins are not only forgiven— they are forgotten ! Do the same thing with your sin that God does......put them on the Cross and leave them there.Don't be surprised if God chooses to chastise you.Your Salvation is  still intact. That was a gift, remember ?

Amen!

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Revlori said:

Sometimes we sin so badly that we cant seem to find forgiveness for ourselves from ourselves.

I’ve actually found the opposite to be true of some people. There’s been a movement in the church where the word “broken” is being used to excuse the worst sins. Whenever you find out about an awful sin someone has committed,  the explanation  is that we are all “broken.”

And then the person who committed the sin receives  a standing ovation after he gives his testimony about how his sin ruined his life but he was able to survive it. Then he does it again.

Edited by ReneeIW

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.85
  • Days Won:  5

8 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

I’ve actually found the opposite to be true of some people. There’s been a movement in the church where the word “broken” is being used to excuse the worst sins. Whenever you find out about an awful sin someone has committed,  the explanation  is that we are all “broken.”

And then the person who committed the sin receives  a standing ovation after he gives his testimony about how his sin ruined his life but he was able to survive it. Then he does it again.

Fools will be fools .....Christian fools are not excluded.....I think it’s a safe bet that  God saw  this coming and knows exactly how to handle it......He knows  how to take his wayward Children to the woodshed..... As a matter of fact , I’ve been taken there once or twice myself.....ouch! God does  not  fool around when He takes you there!

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

6 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

I've seen this as well, but their are two ways I see brokenness.

1) people who say they are broken and confess their sin, but return to it are those who were only broken because they got caught! The genuine remorse of their sin wasn't there, it was simply a remorse for getting caught. This type of brokenness is only skin deep so to speak, so for them, sin is always on the back burner simmering and can be brought back at any given time.

2) This second type of brokenness is genuine heart felt remorse, this type is one that brings one to their knees before God and man. This type shows the change in one's life, sometimes in a dramatic way,other times, in a subtle way but change is evident.

***whichever case of brokenness occurs, neither truly are an indication of them forgiving themselves. To the first one, they are more prone to excusing their sin and don't feel the need for their own forgiveness. To the second, many have not forgiven themselves and though they are genuinely remorseful, they harbour deep unforgiveness from themselves which in turn can cause them to fall again later in their lives.

Thanks for sharing ?

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

13 hours ago, Revlori said:

Romans 3:23 For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.

Sin takes us further then we had ever intended on going.  When we give into sin, It pulls us down to doing things that we never thought we could do.

Romans 7:15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do

Sin never only hurts just the person who sinned. It brings pain, suffering, distress, shame, guilt, damage, hurt, harm and consequences to the one who sins and to others who one sins against or to those who may know you.

Galatians 5:19-21 19The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

As born again Christians, we are to try and avoid sin, however even at our greatest attempts to avoid sin and live right before God, we fall short. We sin! Sometimes we sin so badly that we cant seem to find forgiveness for ourselves from ourselves.

The questions  then remain for Christians are: How do we forgive ourselves and move on?

As we realize that we have a loving saviour, Jesus Christ.

The very first act of forgiving ourselves is to seek his forgiveness first.

Psalm 32:5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD." And you forgave the guilt of my sin.

Know you are not above Christ! What does this mean? If Christ has forgiven you ( which he has if you confessed them to him and ask his pardon) Are you then greater then he, by saying I will not forgive myself?  You see we follow the example of Christ, we learn from him, what he does we are to do. Paul tells us plainly that there is “now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1). He also says that “if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new” (II Corinthians 5:17). If you continue to condemn yourself  and not forgive yourself after receiving the grace and forgiveness of Christ,then you are setting yourself above him. This may sound harsh, however Christ has paid the highest price for you and holding unforgiveness against yourself after he forgives you, then what are you doing for what he's done for you?

Proverbs 28:13 People who conceal their sins will not prosper, but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy.

The second act of forgiving yourself and moving on is: ( if possible) make things right with anyone whom you may have hurt.

A) apologize with a sincere heart.

B) show love

Galatians 5:13-14 For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

If this isn't possible (because the person that you hurt won't receive this) you must:

A) show them respect and give them the distance they need!

B) pray for them!

C) know that whatever there response is toward you, this will not alter Christ's decision to forgive you! 

The third act toward forgiving yourself and moving on is to turn over a new leaf!

whatever the sin was, there is always a way of righteousness to replace it.

Isaiah 1:17 Learn to do good...

Colossians 3:5-6 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Don’t be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world. Because of these sins, the anger of God is coming.

Thanks for reading, may this help  you to forgive yourself and begin new!

God bless ?

My experience has been that when I repent of a sin, it takes a short while to become convinced my repentance is genuine. Once that time has passed, I am able to forget that sin.

• Thumbs Up 1