• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

John 16:12   “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.

13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. 14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. 15 All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.

John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

Acts 1:1   The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,

These verses among other tell us something that is obvious, but let’s look at it anyway and see what we may learn. First—Jesus was telling the disciples that He had many additional things to tell them, but that they were unable at that time to bear them. He goes on to say that He would continue to teach them through the Holy Spirit, which the Father would send. That He (the Holy Spirit) would take what is Christ’s and declare it to them.

Later on, after the promised Holy Spirit came and was manifested at Pentecost on that wonderful day, Luke (the author of Acts) remembered this and gave an account of that truth. Luke is careful to use the word ‘began’ implying that this Teaching would continue.

Acts 1:1  In the first book, O aTheophilus, I have dealt with all that Jesus began bto do and teach, 2 until the day when che was taken up, after he dhad given commands ethrough the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen. 3 fHe presented himself alive to them after his suffering by many proofs, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God.

Acts 1:4   And while staying1 with them ghe ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, “you heard from me; 5 for hJohn baptized with water, hbut you will be baptized iwith2 the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”

The record of that continued Teaching is the New Testament canon. That which is contained in the Book of the Acts of the Apostles and the many letters written to the local churches that would spring up over the following years. Those things were written down by men who walked and lived with Jesus and later learned as the Holy Spirit taught them those things that would have to ‘wait until they could bear them’. Many of those teachings are contained in the letters that Paul wrote. Paul was taught directly by the Lord and also after the Holy Spirit was given. Paul was taught personally—one on one, by the Lord of Glory!

Let that sink in for a minute. This is an amazing thing and difficult for us to wrap our collective heads around. Isn’t it? Can you just imagine the impact that those hours and days had on the man Paul? That teaching was, can I say, seared into Paul’s being by the Words the Lord spoke and made alive by the indwelling Spirit. A double whammy of sorts. The other disciples did not have the same experience.  God set Paul aside for that privilege. We can’t know all the reasons for this, but we can ascertain a couple of them. Paul was uniquely qualified because of his keen mind and significant knowledge of Jewish law and traditions. He was a pharisee of pharisees. At the top of the heap of the men of the day that were schooled in Judaism. And He was taught one on one by Jesus Christ, the one about whom all the Grace and Truth rested on. By the time Jesus was done with Paul, he had more perspective on the Truth of both the old and new covenants than any man alive. Jesus Christ prepared Paul to both teach the Gospel and to defend it. To defend it against pagan teaching and the Jews who wished to hold onto the old covenant and teach others to do the same. Nobody could do these things better than Paul. Paul was uniquely qualified and prepared by Jesus Himself for this duty.

For now, we are going to address the issues of Law and Grace. Paul found himself facing this battle over and over again—in fact there is evidence in the record that there were Jews that followed Paul from place to place to stir up trouble. We have in the letter to the Galatians, the clearest exhortation available to us as to Paul’s doctrine concerning law and grace. It is a remarkable letter. This is not surprising considering the source. The Jesus Christ instructed Paul and the Holy Spirit energizing the writing.

In addition to Galatians there are many other places where Paul addressed this problem assaulting the churches—indeed, much ink was used to do so. My thought that I put to you is this. Where in the New Testament record was so much ink used that indicates law keeping as a doctrine for the churches. With such a huge body of teaching dedicated to battling the heresy of works and law being required for salvation or to maintain or keep salvation—where is the counter argument to grace through faith laid out with clarity in the New Testament record?

There is no place because our Father and His Eternal Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit wanted the Church to be very clear on this issue and Paul was the Lord's chief warrior in that battle.

Salvation and justification through faith by Grace alone.

Edited by Alive

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

On 2/18/2020 at 4:12 PM, Alive said:

John 16:12   “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.

13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. 14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. 15 All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.

John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

Acts 1:1   The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,

These verses among other tell us something that is obvious, but let’s look at it anyway and see what we may learn. First—Jesus was telling the disciples that He had many additional things to tell them, but that they were unable at that time to bear them. He goes on to say that He would continue to teach them through the Holy Spirit, which the Father would send. That He (the Holy Spirit) would take what is Christ’s and declare it to them.

Later on, after the promised Holy Spirit came and was manifested at Pentecost on that wonderful day, Luke (the author of Acts) remembered this and gave an account of that truth. Luke is careful to use the word ‘began’ implying that this Teaching would continue.

Acts 1:1  In the first book, O aTheophilus, I have dealt with all that Jesus began bto do and teach, 2 until the day when che was taken up, after he dhad given commands ethrough the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen. 3 fHe presented himself alive to them after his suffering by many proofs, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God.

Acts 1:4   And while staying1 with them ghe ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, “you heard from me; 5 for hJohn baptized with water, hbut you will be baptized iwith2 the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”

The record of that continued Teaching is the New Testament canon. That which is contained in the Book of the Acts of the Apostles and the many letters written to the local churches that would spring up over the following years. Those things were written down by men who walked and lived with Jesus and later learned as the Holy Spirit taught them those things that would have to ‘wait until they could bear them’. Many of those teachings are contained in the letters that Paul wrote. Paul was taught directly by the Lord and also after the Holy Spirit was given. Paul was taught personally—one on one, by the Lord of Glory!

Let that sink in for a minute. This is an amazing thing and difficult for us to wrap our collective heads around. Isn’t it? Can you just imagine the impact that those hours and days had on the man Paul? That teaching was, can I say, seared into Paul’s being by the Words the Lord spoke and made alive by the indwelling Spirit. A double whammy of sorts. The other disciples did not have the same experience.  God set Paul aside for that privilege. We can’t know all the reasons for this, but we can ascertain a couple of them. Paul was uniquely qualified because of his keen mind and significant knowledge of Jewish law and traditions. He was a pharisee of pharisees. At the top of the heap of the men of the day that were schooled in Judaism. And He was taught one on one by Jesus Christ, the one about whom all the Grace and Truth rested on. By the time Jesus was done with Paul, he had more perspective on the Truth of both the old and new covenants than any man alive. Jesus Christ prepared Paul to both teach the Gospel and to defend it. To defend it against pagan teaching and the Jews who wished to hold onto the old covenant and teach others to do the same. Nobody could do these things better than Paul. Paul was uniquely qualified and prepared by Jesus Himself for this duty.

For now, we are going to address the issues of Law and Grace. Paul found himself facing this battle over and over again—in fact there is evidence in the record that there were Jews that followed Paul from place to place to stir up trouble. We have in the letter to the Galatians, the clearest exhortation available to us as to Paul’s doctrine concerning law and grace. It is a remarkable letter. This is not surprising considering the source. The Jesus Christ instructed Paul and the Holy Spirit energizing the writing.

In addition to Galatians there are many other places where Paul addressed this problem assaulting the churches—indeed, much ink was used to do so. My thought that I put to you is this. Where in the New Testament record was so much ink used that indicates law keeping as a doctrine for the churches. With such a huge body of teaching dedicated to battling the heresy of works and law being required for salvation or to maintain or keep salvation—where is the counter argument to grace through faith laid out with clarity in the New Testament record?

There is no place because our Father and His Eternal Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit wanted the Church to be very clear on this issue and Paul was the Lord's chief warrior in that battle.

Salvation and justification through faith by Grace alone.

Good news--to better grasp Pauline doctrine, all we need do is confer his commentary with the Hebrew scriptures, since 97% of what he wrote was based on them. Yay!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later...

33 minutes ago, Josheb said:

Two questions for you, @Alive

1) Are you familiar with the "new Paul" perspectives of E. P Sanders or N.T. Wright? (and if so then have you an opinion thereof?) 

2) Why was the term "warrior" chosen? Why did you choose the term "warrior" instead of one of the other applicable archetypes (ruler, priest, or lover), since all four exist, are evident in his epistolary and apply in light of the op just as much as warrior

I am not familiar with those things, Josheb.

Paul the Warrior? Well I thought I did that in the OP, but to add.

I believe that the enemy relentlessly pursued Paul and he was in near constant battle from all sides and many ways. I believe the Lord allowed that to whittle away everything that was not Christ. His mission was far too vital for such a vessel to be otherwise. I believe Paul  was a near completely 'broken' man.

I could have used 'Fanatic' because I believe that is exactly what Paul was...these thoughts are my own and not necessarily those of the owners or producers.

I didn't mean to communicate that Paul was just a warrior.

I mean that Paul's natural strength was broken-- weakened so that his strength was God.

Put another way--Paul became 'meek'. I like to define meekness as the 'means between weakness and strength'.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.56
  • Days Won:  12

42 minutes ago, Alive said:

I didn't mean to communicate that Paul was just a warrior.

I mean that Paul's natural strength was broken-- weakened so that his strength was God.

Put another way--Paul became 'meek'. I like to define meekness as the 'means between weakness and strength'.

I like that!

Human weakness -> humility and reliance upon the Lord -> God's strength  :)

Edited by David1701

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

On 9/16/2020 at 6:52 AM, David1701 said:

I like that!

Human weakness -> humility and reliance upon the Lord -> God's strength  :)

2 Corinthians 12: KJV

7- "And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. {8} For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. {9} And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.56
  • Days Won:  12

On 10/2/2020 at 2:02 PM, Adstar said:

2 Corinthians 12: KJV

7- "And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. {8} For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. {9} And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

Yes indeed!  Our weakness, and the realisation of it, sends us to the Lord, for His strength.