IGNORED

Does anyone remember these British singers?

Debp

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

Herman's Hermits

Chad & Jeremy

Harry Nilsson

Dave Clark 5

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  24,673
  • Content Per Day:  5.76
  • Days Won:  161
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

I may be young, but I know all of these.

Here are a few of my favourite British singers of the past that haven't been mentioned : Shirley Bassey, Kenneth McKellar, Vera Lynn, Tom Jones

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

The Dave Clark Five came onto the music scene like a hurricane. Lead singer Dave, was also the drummer of the band and his rapid fire percusion took a lot of the forefront to their sound and songs. Saxophone was also evident with Dave's music. Like The Rolling Stones, The Dave Clark Five were more or less England's friendly competitors to The Beatles and they made a big splash.

All these guys hit the same clubs during the earlier years when being out in the public wasn't too much for them to hang out with the locals. They were friends and never the mortal enemies the American media touted them to be. Sure, they wanted to be number one on the Top 40, but that didn't stop them from being chums. Some great songs  I remember from the Dave Clark Five.

Glad All Over

Bits And Pieces 

Catch Us If You Can 

Can't You See That She's Mine 

Because 

You Got What It Takes 

I like It Like That

Everybody Knows

17 minutes ago, Henry_iain said:

Tom Jones

Tom Jones was a huge success all over the world. Born in Wales UK, Tom came on the scene with belting vocals and hip swiveling much like Elvis. Devilishly handsome, classy outfits, and great audience appeal. Great entertainer with a lot of personal charm. Yeah, Tom had it. It was said that while struggling to get a hit to climb the music ladder of success, he one time came close to suicidal tendencies. Then his first US song took America. Green Green Grass Of Home. That worked. Then a whole string of hits one after the other. He even had a Television show of his own here that went international. Here's a list of Tom Jones greatest.

What's New Pussycat

It's Not Unusual 

Green Green Grass Of Home 

Delilah

Help Yourself 

She's A Lady 

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  24,673
  • Content Per Day:  5.76
  • Days Won:  161
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

pink floyd ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Henry_iain said:

pink floyd ?

Not quite. Not 60's. Floyd was an incredible band. But we're jumping a little too far ahead. I could start a thread on prog rock, but not here. Not on Deb's topic. It's off the scale here. Let's go on. 

@Behold,

You mentioned two great duos. Chad and Jeremy, plus Peter and Gordon. Yes, they were wonderful minstrels and balladeers. Like the Simon and Garfunkel in America. Acoustic guitars with studio musicians to make up the great songs they did. Peter Asher was Jane Asher's brother, Paul McCartney's long-term girl that the Brits wanted Macca to marry. They broke up mainly due to Paul's frolicing.

Later married Linda Eastman and the English birds hated her. For a few years anyway. Eventually, she almost got an accent from residing in the UK for numerous years. Wings were good, but Linda was never much of a vocalist. Not too shabby on a Mini Moog synthesiser. You could only play one note at the time on that type of keyboard!  Anway, back to the topic with Chad and Jeremy then Peter and Gordon. 

Hits by both.

Chad and Jeremy

A Summer Song - Willow Weep For Me - Yesterday's Gone  

Peter And Gordon

Woman - I Don't Want To See You Again - A World Without Love (written by Lennon and McCartney) 

Edited by BeauJangles

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

2 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Not quite. Not 60's. Floyd was an incredible band. But we're jumping a little too far ahead. I could start a thread on prog rock, but not here. Not on Deb's topic. It's off the scale here. Let's go on. 

@Behold,

You mentioned two great duos. Chad and Jeremy, plus Peter and Gordon. Yes, they were wonderful minstrels and balladeers. Like the Simon and Garfunkel in America. Acoustic guitars with studio musicians to make up the great songs they did. Peter Asher was Jane Asher's brother, Paul McCartney's long-term girl that the Brits wanted Macca to marry. They broke up mainly due to Paul's frolicing, to put it mildly.

Later married Linda Eastman and the English birds hated her. For a few years anyway. Eventually, she almost got an accent from residing in the UK for numerous years. Wings were good, but Linda was never much of a vocalist. Not too shabby on a Mini Moog synthesiser, though. You could only play one note at the time on that type of keyboard! haha! Anway, back to the topic with Chad and Jeremy then Peter and Gordon. 

Hits by both.

Chad and Jeremy

A Summer Song - Willow Weep For Me - Yesterday's Gone  

Peter And Gordon

Woman - I Don't Want To See You Again - A World Without Love (written by Lennon and McCartney) 

Perhaps just as John was a bit of a Muse for Paul.....so too was Linda found to be the same.

He credits her for bringing him out of the dark days that took him for a spin after the Fab4 broke up.

She taught him to understand that "Life is always ahead"..... get going.

• Well Said! 2

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

4 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

The Dave Clark Five came onto the music scene like a hurricane. Lead singer Dave, was also the drummer of the band and his rapid fire percusion took a lot of the forefront to their sound and songs. Saxophone was also evident with Dave's music. Like The Rolling Stones, The Dave Clark Five were more or less England's friendly competitors to The Beatles and they made a big splash.

All these guys hit the same clubs during the earlier years when being out in the public wasn't too much for them to hang out with the locals. They were friends and never the mortal enemies the American media touted them to be. Sure, they wanted to be number one on the Top 40, but that didn't stop them from being chums. Some great songs  I remember from the Dave Clark Five.

Glad All Over

Bits And Pieces 

Catch Us If You Can 

Can't You See That She's Mine 

Because 

You Got What It Takes 

I like It Like That

Everybody Knows

I read somewhere that John was working on a song and Ringo was working on his contribution to That Song. John told Ringo that he sounded like “ Dave Clark”.......Ringo was not happy with that assessment by John....He knew it was meant as a Major Insult.....Dave Clark has his signature drum fill.....that was about ALL that he had......his drumming was very UNimaginative......Ringo was no Buddy Rich, But He was the perfect drummer for the Beatles and I think his talents as a drummer are extremely underestimated. Ringo’s drumming was like George’s guitar playing.....these guys, as They  freely admitted were “ rather crummy musicians”, but the things that they  WERE able to  pull off were always pleasing to the ear....

I’d rather hear Ringo’s extremely imaginative drumming on “ In My Life” than an instantly forgettable 15 minute drum solo by Ginger Baker....

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Dave Clark has his signature drum fill.

Dave did, but his drumming wasn't very imaginative at all. Simple one-two one-two as rapidly as possible. It lacked something. As much to be admired for their hits, they didn't last long on the success end of endurance. Their music and sound didn't evolve at all like those who were able to. 

Ringo was no Buddy Rich

Ringo deeply respected Buddy Rich. He fully acknowledged not to be the best percussionist. Ringo was a humble about it. 

But He was the perfect drummer for the Beatles and I think his talents as a drummer are extremely underestimated.

Yes, he was. Ringo never missed a beat. Ever. His drum roll on Day Tripper proved he could pull it off in spite of those who claimed he was incapable of doing so. He had panache and taste. Really enovative. That's Ringo. 

Ringo’s drumming was like George’s guitar playing.....these guys, as They  freely admitted were “ rather crummy musicians”, but the things that they  WERE able to  pull off were always pleasing to the ear....

Okay, wait a minute. You must admit George developed a great style over time. Take for instance his signature slide guitar playing. He quickly learned from All Things Must Pass, which was very good. But by the time Living In The Material World came out, George had it down. And down right excellent! 

I’d rather hear Ringo’s extremely imaginative drumming on “ In My Life” than an instantly forgettable 15 minute drum solo by Ginger Baker...

Yeah, no kidding. Baker became a junkie and played like one. He was good but not the best. Sorry, no bash on Ginger. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Just curious.....anybody here remember the very controversial song, “ They’re Coming To Take Me Away, Ha Ha”...........The flip side of that hit was a  Masterpiece! See if you can get it on You Tube! 

Oh sure. Big and almost annoying comedy hit. At least it was a hit for the duration of requests to play that odd tune! I do remember a cousin of mine bought the 45 rpm record here in CA and side two was the same song backwards. Really weird and not worth listening to more than maybe twice. What did you get for side two where you purchased and/or accessed it? Talk about backwards masking! haha! The entire song? Too stupid! 

• Praise God! 1