• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Debp said:

I think I saw Cube listed for free at Tubi TV (app or website).   Maybe I will check it out.

I don't like slashers either or anything bloody.   I enjoy the suspense movies.   Jaws was a favorite!

Probably the most frightening movie I ever saw was in 1990 called, "You Broke Your Vow." Today, I relate the movie to something I never thought about relating to God when we break our vows to Him. In this movie, the gargoyle was intelligent who showed no mercy to the artist who broke his promise never to reveal what he knew and saw about the gargoyle. Thank God Jesus is merciful. As I look back on this movie, I now realize from all of the things that have happened to me, that it is not a game to break one's vow! Our words and actions are written into eternity, and they will go ahead of us to be our witnesses, either for or against us at the time we stand before Jesus. I experienced something else too: that God will use whatever means He must to get our attention---even something terrifying. I had always been very fearful after i saw that movie and did not understand why. Sometimes, even though something may never happen to you, your envisioning what could happen is sufficient to prevent it. I now realize why God permitted me to see it.

Edited by Coliseum
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

8 hours ago, Coliseum said:

In this movie, the gargoyle was intelligent who showed no mercy to the artist who broke his promise never to reveal what he knew and saw about the gargoyle.

There was a film called, Gargoyles back in 1972 made for television, but I didn't see it until ten years later. Even for back then the effects were pretty decent. Interesting plot and there was a leader who wanted a relationship with leading featured actress to birth some kind of "hybrid" creature of some sort? They flew around and were somewhat larger than mankind. Powerful of course, wanting to take over the world. I think! I've only seen it once. 

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Haha 1

Getting back on track of classic horror movies, this would be another favorite of mine. Two greats in this genre got together and made the horror cinematic classic, Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman. Duo leading roles were performed by Bela Lugosi this time as Frankenstein's monster and Lon Chaney Jr. as the Wolf Man. It doesn't get better than this. When the two met it wasn't exactly a handshake!

Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man

OIPCO4S0XE7.jpg.3196c9b66a703c2eb20fe566266a31c8.jpg
      Bela Lugosi and Lon Chaney Jr. 

Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man is a 1943 American horror film produced by Universal Studios starring Lon Chaney Jr. as the Wolf Man and Bela Lugosi as Frankenstein's monster. This was the first of a series of "ensemble" monster films combining characters from several film series. This film, therefore, is both the fifth in the series of films based upon Mary Shelley 's Frankenstein, directly after The Ghost of Frankenstein, and a sequel to The Wolf Man.
Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,029
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,378
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

9 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

There was a film called, Gargoyles back in 1972 made for television, but I didn't see it until ten years later. Even for back then the effects were pretty decent. Interesting plot and there was a leader who wanted a relationship with leading featured actress to birth some kind of "hybrid" creature of some sort? They flew around and were somewhat larger than mankind. Powerful of course, wanting to take over the world. I think! I've only seen it once. 

Talking about somewhat more modern films....did anyone see "I Am Legend"  with Will Smith?   I saw it some years back and was very impressed with it.   He was an only survivor in a world of strange creatures that came out after dusk to eat and roam.    He only had his dog, a German Shepherd.   If you can see it, I highly recommend it.

Just now, Debp said:

Talking about somewhat more modern films....did anyone see "I Am Legend"  with Will Smith?   I saw it some years back and was very impressed with it.   He was an only survivor in a world of strange creatures that came out after dusk to eat and roam.    He only had his dog, a German Shepherd.   If you can see it, I highly recommend it.

I haven't but would love to see it. I have enjoyed Will Smith's films since his exit from The 80's sitcom, Fresh Prince of Bel-air. Independence Day was a good one. What a bunch of  wild and crazy aliens! The attack on the Mother Ship in the climax of the movie was pretty intense. Judd Hircsh and Jeff Goldblum was cool. They had a good father and son relationship though somewhat strained because Jeff strayed from Judaism.   

Oh, Jeff Golbum was great in the remake, The Fly. Yikes! Very intense! 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  452
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  0

I was drawn to horror flicks like Frankenstein and The Mummy as a kid. Knowing these evil creatures were fiction made it fun and scary for the moment. This mystery of the unknown evils that lurk draws our curiosity, we liked the jolt, being scared and then laughing, but in movies, the good guys always win in the end. 

I'm surprised no one mentioned what I consider the scariest movie of all time, The Exorcist. I was 18, heart beating heavy and hands sweating during the movie - because this to me was real, plausible. I was with a friend who had the same reaction, but the other two guys who went with us laughed, because they didn't believe demon possesion was possible; so to them, it was just another fictional horror flick. I did'nt laugh at all during that one.

Edited by RonaldBruno
Spelling

26 minutes ago, RonaldBruno said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned what I consider the scariest movie of all time, The Exorcist. I was 18, heart beating heavy and hands sweating during the movie - because this to me was real, plausible. I was with a friend who had the same reaction, but the other two guys who went with us laughed, because they didn't believe demon possesion was possible; so to them, it was just another fictional horror flick. I did'nt laugh at all during that one.

We are about the same age. Yes, it was a shocker on the big screen if you saw the unedited version. Intense! A few got up and left the pea soup barf up scene! 

26 minutes ago, RonaldBruno said:

I was drawn to horror flicks like Frankenstein and The Mummy as a kid. Knowing these evil creatures were fiction made it fun and scary for the moment. This mystery of the unknown evils that lurk draws our curiosity, we liked the jolt, being scared and then laughing, but in movies, the good guys always win in the end. 

Ah, yes. The classics. Those were the days of good horror movies. All the great dramatic actors and actresses who knew just how to scream! The black & white films ruled!

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.74
  • Days Won:  226

On 6/1/2020 at 1:59 AM, Debp said:

A few of us have been having some light-hearted fun with these topics.

Now.... remember the old horror movies!

Does anyone remember The Blob?  Creature From the Black Lagoon?   What about The Tingler?

Watching them now, the "special effects" were pretty awful!   But back then, they were scary, even to the adults!

Steve McQueen got his start in The Blob!   That big green mess of jello....I think it was colorized perhaps?   As a child, I think it was a black and white film.

The Tingler really scared me...that strange thing that jumped on to people's backs!

Have any favorites or funny bombs?

I remember the creature of the black lagoon. I was 5 years old when I asked my aunt to take me to see that movie. I had nightmares for months. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I remember the creature of the black lagoon. I was 5 years old when I asked my aunt to take me to see that movie. I had nightmares for months. 

The alleged "gill man" was an intense film in both his attacks under water and abduction of the leading actress by stealing her away. His face was pretty scary. This black & white was a true cheesy horror classic! 

Note* They always had a sinister soundtrack for these movies that added to the fright aspect. Anyone else notice these also? 

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 1

Being a rather impressionable young boy, I would have to admit that classic horror films and also the cheesy sci-fi movies did have a frightening effect on me. Even the first time seeing the Wizard of Oz appearing up from the flames scared me out of my wits! That was when I was perhaps four or five years old. And they would have a lasting emotion on me. Suspense thrillers were the same. The sinister soundtracks added to the overall experience. 

946681176_untitled(32).png.5464974fc9d7eb05673a8df23dada937.png

"I Am The Great And Powerful Oz!"

• Thumbs Up 1