• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, BibleStudent100 said:

I would be interested in the collective wisdom of the group.  I too have noticed a growing trend of activities that are much more social, than Bible-based located at churches.  For example, in the parking lot there are hay rides, petting farms, face painting for children, food being offered, etc.  I know that these social offerings are a way to entice others to attend church, but I wonder how much seems Biblically reasonable.  In other words, what seems like a balanced approach?  How far should Christians go to make church appealing?

BibleStudent100.

I don't think it's so much about making church appealing, but it's more about making Christ appealing in the church and in our community.

Not to be critical of you at all because I think I know what you mean, that If we live our lives for Christ we'll have a good reputation in the community and new comers may recognize some of the people there who have good reputations, and if we are a positive part of the local community, they may feel like their in the right place and even want to get to know us.

Sometimes I think we focus on the external too much, and forget about just loving people without the rules and regulations we seem to create, or the legalism that puts our faith in a box or on a list of do's and don'ts.

Lastly, it seems that more and more, in the churchs, that Christianity is becoming a THING, something to use to connect to people, like going to a bar to make friends, and the lines become blurred as to why someone is really there, or who they really are.

They learn to speak the CHRIStIANEEZE language, and begin to fit right in - Tares and the wheat.

And when church is over, people have busy lives and the young families want to get out as fast as they can to get the kids to soccer practice as there's no time to hang around for a church social with food and fellowship

It's like they did what God expected, so mow there free to get on with other things.

Think about it.

My name is OLIGOS

Edited by Seasoned by Grace

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

On 6/9/2020 at 1:04 AM, Seasoned by Grace said:

The title may sound a bit strange. I actually borrowed it from the title of an online commentary that in this day and age reflects a growing dissent and dissatisfaction within more and more churches as more and more people are seeking more legitimate and authentic spiritual leadership and experience, and truth, INCLUDING MYSELF.

In my circle of friends, neighbors, relatives and acquaintances, many of us have left our churches after decades of seeking a genuine, active faith in living for Christ, that is nowhere to be found anymore in my area of the world.

When you go on line and research the current activity of Christianity around the U.S., the story is pretty much the same about the devout believers being tired and fed up with the changes in their church doctrine and how the leadership is trying to draw people in with MUSICAL EXYTAVAGANZAS, coffee and cookies, side show antics, and watering down the faith and the Gospel , to make it more acceptable to non-believers, but an atrocity  and an abomination to the true Godly followers of Christ.

It's a growing exodus that continues to expand, as God is calling His own people out to Himself.

For me, over 40 years of faithful living and serving Christ in the church and the community, only to watch the churches I believed in begin to fall by the wayside of the path God calls "BROAD" in Matthew 7:13".

It's hard not having a church home, but I put all of this in Gods hands to take care of, and God has been faithful as I have prayed about it and been patient, waiting in faith confidently, believing God would provide, and slowly but surely God is bringing true believers into my life that share the same authentic GODLY faith of love, consideration and Christian charity, and loving kindness.

You wouldn't believe the joy I feel being around people with the loving Holy Spirit of Christ, and how I can feel His presence in their genuine hearts of true faith.

They just "Vibrate His presence" in their loving Spirits.

Like others, the Holy Spirit called me out as many others have been called out too, and I am so grateful to God that over time I learned to know His voice and feel Hid presence, and follow the leading of the Holy Spirit and chose to follow.

There is such a peace now in truly living for Christ and not feeling the pressure to be what others wanted me to be. Now I can be what Christ calls me to and have the freedom to respond in complete HARMONY with Gods word.

You may not feel the same as me, or see the things I do, or things I experience, and that's OK, this is just one elderly mans commentary on how he see's life and living it in this world with Christ.

Lastly, I'm not one to point fingers at churches or individuals, or to be a fault finder to cause dis-unity or cause division. Each person has the freedom to discover what works for them as they grow and become more like Christ as they are called to by the Holy Spirit.

God bless.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my post.

My name is OLIGOS

I don't think you can be a Christian, and not have a church.

Hebrews 10:25 is pretty clear.... just pretty clear.

• And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.

Now, I grasp why you left your previous church, but I think that being part of a Church, is actually.... mandatory.

Do not forsake the assembling of ourselves together.

You know, how do you help people on a scale that makes an impact for the Lord, if you do not go to church?

How do you fund mission trips to 3rd world countries, to help starving orphans, without a church?

My church last year, did a winter coat drive, for elementary school kids, and handed out almost a thousand coats.

Now I get it, that your previous church, had a problem.  Anyone who says science disproves the Bible, shouldn't be preaching, and likely does not understand Science, or the Bible, since there is no conflict between science and the Bible.

But if you think that the mistakes of your previous church, give you a green light to violate the Bible yourself, and just disconnect from the meeting of Believers, I would suggest that is not a good place.  What are you going to say the Lord, when he points down at his book he wrote for you, and says "Was that not clear?".  How are you going to answer him?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, LonerAndy said:

I don't think you can be a Christian, and not have a church.

Hebrews 10:25 is pretty clear.... just pretty clear.

• And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.

Now, I grasp why you left your previous church, but I think that being part of a Church, is actually.... mandatory.

Do not forsake the assembling of ourselves together.

You know, how do you help people on a scale that makes an impact for the Lord, if you do not go to church?

How do you fund mission trips to 3rd world countries, to help starving orphans, without a church?

My church last year, did a winter coat drive, for elementary school kids, and handed out almost a thousand coats.

Now I get it, that your previous church, had a problem.  Anyone who says science disproves the Bible, shouldn't be preaching, and likely does not understand Science, or the Bible, since there is no conflict between science and the Bible.

But if you think that the mistakes of your previous church, give you a green light to violate the Bible yourself, and just disconnect from the meeting of Believers, I would suggest that is not a good place.  What are you going to say the Lord, when he points down at his book he wrote for you, and says "Was that not clear?".  How are you going to answer him?

Well LonerAndy my friend,  you have a pretty strong opinion and I don't think any thing I say will Change your mind, and for me that's O.K. The lord is still growing us both, and we're still on the same path and God still loves us, so what could be better??.

Like a lot od people who think their Christians, they don't have a clue about "Legalism" vs. LOVE, and what your talking about in your beliefs is legalism and rule keeping, instead of doing what you do from your heart from love.

We're all at different places in our faith, and just because I'm not where you are doesn't make me wrong.
Are you 77 years old yet like me, and been a Christian getting closer to 50 years?" Have you preached in 2 churches? Have you served the Lord leading men's groups or worked with the homeless for over 12 years?? We're all in different places, so chill out and live your life for God, and back off on judging others by your own standards  because we all have our own that we'll all have to answer for some day, and I'm good where I am, and the Holy Spirit has validated where I am. 

God bless you brother and with all my love as a Christian brother, and may you find your own path in life as the lord leads and guides you:t2:!

My name is OLIGOS

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,025
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,347
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

11 minutes ago, Seasoned by Grace said:

Well LonerAndy my friend,  you have a pretty strong opinion and I don't think any thing I say will Change your mind, and for me that's O.K. The lord is still growing us both, and we're still on the same path and God still loves us, so what could be better??.

Like a lot od people who think their Christians, they don't have a clue about "Legalism" vs. LOVE, and what your talking about in your beliefs is legalism and rule keeping, instead of doing what you do from your heart from love.

We're all at different places in our faith, and just because I'm not where you are doesn't make me wrong.
Are you 77 years old yet like me, and been a Christian getting closer to 50 years?" Have you preached in 2 churches? Have you served the Lord leading men's groups or worked with the homeless for over 12 years?? We're all in different places, so chill out and live your life for God, and back off on judging others by your own standards  because we all have our own that we'll all have to answer for some day, and I'm good where I am, and the Holy Spirit has validated where I am. 

God bless you brother and with all my love as a Christian brother, and may you find your own path in life as the lord leads and guides you:t2:!

My name is OLIGOS

I would also like to add that many Christians, due to some health reasons, are unable to attend church.   I believe the Lord understands this.

• Loved it! 1

1 hour ago, LonerAndy said:

Instead of funding costly mission trips to be taken by church members, it is much more cost effective to fund the native pastors in third world countries.    These pastors often can be supported by $50 to $100 a month.   Compare that to an airline ticket for one church member to go on a mission trip.

http://www.christianaid.org

11 hours ago, Debp said:

I would also like to add that many Christians, due to some health reasons, are unable to attend church.   I believe the Lord understands this.

I have always believed that God looks on our heart and our intentions, not how we follow rules or do as others expect - LEGALISM and RULE KEEPING.

Look at David, how he failed God, but through it all David never quit loving the Lord.

DAVID was called a man after God's own HEART - absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! :thumbsup:

God bless you debp :t2:

My name is OLIGOS

• Loved it! 1

11 hours ago, Debp said:

Instead of funding costly mission trips to be taken by church members, it is much more cost effective to fund the native pastors in third world countries.    These pastors often can be supported by $50 to $100 a month.   Compare that to an airline ticket for one church member to go on a mission trip.

Right, who do you think we sent the mission to?  Of course we partner with local pastors.

But that pastor, can't build a house for orphans.  Our group of engineers, carpenters, construction workers, and others, went to Malawi, and built an orphanage.

Can you do that by sending $100 a month?  No.  Of course not.  But a Church like mine, can.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Seasoned by Grace said:

My name is OLIGOS

Hebrews 10:25 is not opinion.

That is not opinion.  That is the Word of G-d.

If you think that is optional, you are welcome to it.  But I'm not going to risk getting to Heaven, and having Jesus ask me why I didn't follow his word.  I don't want him to say "but I wrote it down for you right here.  Why didn't you do it?"

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

11 hours ago, LonerAndy said:

Right, who do you think we sent the mission to?  Of course we partner with local pastors.

But that pastor, can't build a house for orphans.  Our group of engineers, carpenters, construction workers, and others, went to Malawi, and built an orphanage.

Can you do that by sending $100 a month?  No.  Of course not.  But a Church like mine, can.

If a native pastor needs extra funds for buildings, etc, an appeal is made to Christian Aid donors for the special projects.   Then either local people are employed to build it (providing jobs), or else the pastors, missionaries or congregation build it.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Debp said:

If a native pastor needs extra funds for buildings, etc, an appeal is made to Christian Aid donors for the special projects.   Then either local people are employed to build it (providing jobs), or else the pastors, missionaries or congregation build it.

You are acting like every place in the world, has services like we do in America.  That if you just have the money, then you can get anything.

Sometimes you can't.  Some places, you can give people money, and no one will come build the house or the well, because they are Christians, or they live in places people simply don't want to go.

Sometimes just throwing money at people, is simply a way to avoid having to do the hard work yourself.

Now in places like Italy, if the pastor needs some money for a renovation, obviously we just send the money for the renovation.

But in places like some areas of Africa, where people simply can't find people to build things that are needed... sometimes you have to pack up and go there.