• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 minute ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

I think you are referring to the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.  

Yes. This is what it appears to be referring to. 

On 7/19/2020 at 7:49 AM, BeauJangles said:

I believe you're speaking of a separate experience known as, "the baptism of the Holy Ghost". 

We have a confirmation on this. Good call. 

• Group:  Royal Member

10 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

Holy Spirit is knocking at the door but people refuse to open the door saying "No thanks we have Jesus here already"  ???

Yeah, you noticed that too. What folks tend to forget Jesus sent the Holy Spirit in His absence. He told His disciples He had to go away. But in doing so. He would send the Holy Spirit to be what? The Comforter. It's by His power and presence in our lives that we live and move and have our being. Just as the worship chorus says. 

To Thee In Whom We Live And Move

To Thee in whom we live and move,
And have our being here,
A higher, holier state to prove,
Through Christ let us draw near.

Though born in sin, to trouble born,
Transgressors from the womb,
Leave not thine offspring thus forlorn,
In error, doubt, and gloom.

Send out, good Lord, Thy light and truth,
Through each advancing stage,
To guard in childbood, guide in youth,
And comfort us in age.

Darkness for light may we not choose,
For falsehood truth forego,
Nor things that are eternal lose
For vanities below.

Teach us to number so our days,
That we our hearts apply
To walk in Wisdom’s pleasant ways,
In them to live and die.

Living, prepared with every breath
Our spirits to resign;
Dying, lay hold on life in death,
And so be ever Thine,

Sacred Poems and Hymns

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

I have been reading through all your replies and giving them much thought.  I do believe in my heart that I do have the Holy Spirit working in my life. The more I think I know the more I find out how little I really know. If that makes sense. Anyway, thank you for your replies I will keep reading them. :th_wave:

• Loved it! 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.55
  • Days Won:  12

19 hours ago, dhchristian said:

When we are saved, we get the Holy Spirit as an earnest of our salvation, Some are content with only this others will receive the full baptism of the Holy Spirit, which comes later. The apostles received the Holy Spirit when they first met the risen Jesus after the resurrection (John 20:22) But the Holy Spirit gave them the baptism of the Spirit after that on Pentecost which was in fulness.  

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G728&t=KJV

The Word earnest refers to down payment for when the fulness comes in so for example: 

Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest G728 of the Spirit in our hearts. (2 Cor. 1:22)

Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest G728 of the Spirit. (2 Cor. 5:5)

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,Which is the earnest G728 of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory._(Eph 1:14-15)

If you go on reading Ephesians it will discuss what that fulness entails.... I encourage all to do so. 

Baptism in the Holy Spirit happens at conversion.

1 Cor. 12:12-14 (WEB)

12 For as the body is one, and has many members, and all the members of the body, being many, are one body; so also is Christ.
13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether bond or free; and were all given to drink into one Spirit.
14 For the body is not one member, but many.

At conversion, the born again Christian is baptised, by the Lord Jesus Christ, in the Holy Spirit, into the body of Christ.

The "earnest" of the Holy Spirit (i.e. the indwelling of the Holy Spirit) is the down-payment, guaranteeing full payment.  The "full payment" happens at the resurrection.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Baptism in the Holy Spirit happens at conversion.

Many have but not all will simultaneously experience the baptism of the Holy Ghost. It's a situational and an individualized circumstance. 

• Well Said! 2

19 minutes ago, David1701 said:

At conversion, the born again Christian is baptised, by the Lord Jesus Christ, in the Holy Spirit, into the body of Christ.

As I've explained before, when we receive Christ in salvation, we do have the entirety of the the trinity within us at that time. The Lord is one. This is why by majority most are baptized by the announcing, " I baptize thee in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost", in accordance to scripture. 

Matthew 28:19 KJV 19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Sonand of the Holy Ghost:

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,242
  • Topics Per Day:  0.50
  • Content Count:  4,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

On 7/19/2020 at 7:19 AM, LadyKay said:

I remember being taught that a person gets saved, but does not receive the Holy Spirit until sometime later. That the gift of the Holy Spirit is a separate thing from being saved. And that you have to seek out the Holy Spirit in order to have the Holy Spirit in your life. This was referred to as "sanctification".  In other words. You can be saved and on your way to Heaven. But you do not have the Holy Spirit in your life unless you seek to have it and that comes after you have been saved.   I am now starting to question this way of thinking. I am thinking now that when a person is saved. They have the Holy Spirit in their life at the moment they become saved. Then from there with the help from the Holy Spirit, that they grow in their Christian walk.  I am thinking that there is no two classed of Christians. Those who are just saved, and those who are saved and also have the Holy Spirit or also called Saved and Sanctify.  So what do you all think of this?  Am I one the right path here with thinking that when you are saved you have the Holy Spirit right then? Or Does the Holy Spirit come later?    :confused:

Hi LadyKay, and how are you? I think I can see why you asked these questions, but can you see now from the members answers? along with: Acts  chapters 2, 8, and 19.

Walter

Edited by Walter and Deborah
More info.
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

The Holy Spirit doesn't jump just because we creack our whip!

"The wind blows where it chooses, and no body knows where it comes from or where it goes.  So it is with everyone born of the Spirit (John 3:8)."

Paul said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you became believers (Acts 19:2)?"

Paul's question assumes that mere profession of faith in Christ is no automatic guarantee that they received the Spirit at that very moment.  He is asking them what their experience was upon professing faith in Christ.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.55
  • Days Won:  12

9 hours ago, Deadworm said:

The Holy Spirit doesn't jump just because we creack our whip!

"The wind blows where it chooses, and no body knows where it comes from or where it goes.  So it is with everyone born of the Spirit (John 3:8)."

Paul said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you became believers (Acts 19:2)?"

Paul's question assumes that mere profession of faith in Christ is no automatic guarantee that they received the Spirit at that very moment.  He is asking them what their experience was upon professing faith in Christ.

Acts was a time of transition from the Old Covenant to the New Covenant.  Not everything in Acts is normative for nowadays; and it's nothing to do with cracking a whip.

Here is the Acts passage, in context (context is vital when attempting to understand a verse).

Acts 19:1-6 (WEB)

1 It happened that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul, having passed through the upper country, came to Ephesus, and found certain disciples.
2 He said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” They said to him, “No, we haven’t even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.” 
3 He said, “Into what then were you baptized?” They said, “Into John’s baptism.” 
4 Paul said, “John indeed baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe in the one who would come after him, that is, in Jesus.” 
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 When Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke with other languages and prophesied.

These disciples were disciples of John the Baptist's teaching (and didn't know that properly either), they had not even heard of the Holy Spirit and did not know that they should believe in Jesus.  In other words, they were not converted yet.

We should notice that  Paul asked whether or not they received the Holy Spirit when they believed (or having believed); in other words, this was Paul's expectation, for believers in the Lord Jesus Christ.

There were four distinct groups, each of which was added to the body of Christ and each had its own "Pentecost", but not at the same time.  Each one was witnessed by one or more apostles, so that the inclusion of this group in the body of Christ had official witnesses.  The groups were: Jews, Samaritans, Gentiles and disciples of John the Baptist.  These groups cover everyone in the world, so that, nowadays, baptism in the Holy Spirit happens at conversion.

There can be experiences in the Holy Spirit after that (one baptism, many fillings); but baptism in the Holy Spirit is the initiatory experience, by which we are placed in the body of Christ.

1 Cor. 12:13 (WEB) For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether bond or free; and were all given to drink into one Spirit.

Edited by David1701

2 hours ago, David1701 said:

Not everything in Acts is normative for nowadays;

Aside from cessationist theology I'm wondering why you would feel this way. You're saying the Holy Ghost no longer moves in our day and age as He was known to do then. Sounds as though this disempowers God in a way and places Him into a little box of OUR control. 

2 hours ago, David1701 said:

it's nothing to do with cracking a whip.

I see. That sounds redeeming. 

And have a nice day! 575940308_blinkysmiley.gif.43cb88ec95b8753eaf6c53fa8f7f4e25.gif