LonerAndy

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  0

I have never been so ashamed of my Church before.  They have never done anything like this in the past.

To their credit, it wasn't the pastor.  It was some guy who I had never heard of.  But he got up there, as a white guy, and told me about how racists the country is against blacks.

He said on stage that black people were more likely to die from a police officer, than from homicide.  Really.  As if Police go out in hunting parties, to mow down black people.

Then he told us that we should go out and prioritize relationships with black people.

The entire sermon was almost a political stunt, with lies, and blatant patronizing of blacks.   They should have had at the end of the sermon "This message is brought to you buy the DNC".

Now if I talk to any black man in the church, he's going to be wondering if I actually give a rip about him, or if I'm just patronizing him because this guy said I'm supposed to prioritize relationships with blacks.

I hope my church never does something like this again.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praying! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Your call, if course, but if it was me I'd leave that apostate joint like my hair was on fire. Life is simply too short to put up with lousy churches.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

i would recomend finding another church family,  pray & and ask God where he would like you to fellowship

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Rick_Parker said:

I would have gotten up and walked out. Probably would have muttered something out loud, too.

I'm not sure what this says about my church, but they have decided to not open until mid august.   So this was a live online sermon.

I was still horrified.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pray for Cypress Church in Ohio.  I can bet that my email to the church's leadership, will be one of many.   I hope they gain wisdom from this, and do better.   If they turn the church into a political stump, then I will not be able to go there anymore.

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

3 hours ago, LonerAndy said:

Then he told us that we should go out and prioritize relationships with black people

Was this at church or an online service?

Either way let the minister/elders of your church know that you think politics are best left out of church and sermons. That the purpose of sermons is to educate about Jesus or the bible and to apply it to our lives.

If your church lets you know who is preaching next week keep an eye out for this guy and don't go if his name appears?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Who me said:

Was this at church or an online service?

Either way let the minister/elders of your church know that you think politics are best left out of church and sermons. That the purpose of sermons is to educate about Jesus or the bible and to apply it to our lives.

If your church lets you know who is preaching next week keep an eye out for this guy and don't go if his name appears?

If I I have to check who is preaching to determine if I go to church, then I'm in the wrong church.

I already sent a message to the church leadership, which simply said "I'm ashamed of (the church)".  The pastor sent an email to me, and mentioned in there, the exact problem.  So my guess is, he's already gotten some massive feedback from this.

He's a good man.  A very good man.   I don't think they realized what this guy was going to say on stage.

Our church decided not to open until mid august, so this was an online live sermon.

I don't think this will happen again.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

21 minutes ago, LonerAndy said:

don't think they realized what this guy was going to say on stage.

That is good to know.

In my church we are told who will be preaching next week, some churches have a preaching plan setting out who is preaching at what church for the next three months.

Sounds like there was an error of judgement.

May I suggest you be as supportive of the minister as you are able as there will be lots of grumbling etc.

• Thumbs Up 2