• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  66
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Hi all,new member here. 

I was just curious of what type Christian denominations/minds made up this forum. If it was Baptist,Catholic,Lutheran etc. I know there is a diversity on forums. I could not find a Poll option so if anyone wanted to drop in and share their position that would appreciated. 

I myself am Reformed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  24,678
  • Content Per Day:  5.76
  • Days Won:  161
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

I am in a charismatic/ non-denominational church. It is called Shofar Christian Church. My parents are in both in a branch of the Dutch Reformed Church. My brother goes to an Anglican church. :) 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  665
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

49 minutes ago, Glory To God said:

Hi all,new member here. 

I was just curious of what type Christian denominations/minds made up this forum. If it was Baptist,Catholic,Lutheran etc. I know there is a diversity on forums. I could not find a Poll option so if anyone wanted to drop in and share their position that would appreciated. 

I myself am Reformed. 

I understand your question, as I am rather 'new' since the beginning of the year. I was wondering exactly 'what' kind of forum this is, and the backgrounds of the people here.

I am sure Beau Jangles will correct me if I am wrong, but, my impression is that there are a wide range of Christians here on this forum. You have all different denominations, theological view points, ranging from traditional, charismatic, Messianic Jews, and those who push their church doctrines, those who have had bad experiences with churches and want nothing to do with them (nursing their hurt feelings). Many times, using myself as an example, individuals grow up in a particular denomination, then join another, then turn non-denominational, then, if thirsting for a deeper experience with Jesus, will opt for bible study groups, then realizing that we are to be part of local assemblies, and re-join a local church.

My experience with Worthy Forums is that there are many God honoring, sweet spirited Christians who love Jesus here. Find those members, and try to develop relationships with them. It takes effort, but, is very much worth that effort. Just ignore the ones who seem to be contentious, as we all are in an 'walk' with the Lord, and sometimes that means letting them have the 'last word' on a topic. Several times, I almost gave up and ready to drop out of Worthy Forums, but found that Beau Jangles was one who actually encouraged me, and so I stayed. So glad he did that for me. Now, after spending time on this forum, I have found others who also have that 'sweet' spirit of loving Jesus, and if I start naming them I might get in trouble (sorry Beau Jangles for naming you earlier). Also, Georges daily devotion 'nuggets' are very good!

Hope all goes well for you and yours . . . 

Grace and Peace . . . Ray  . . . 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Glory To God said:

Hi Ray. Yes I understand how people could be dissatisfied with churches as many denominations have abandoned the faith altogether. I agree about trying to find good members and developing relationships, good advice that. 

2 hours ago, Ray12614 said:

I understand your question, as I am rather 'new' since the beginning of the year. I was wondering exactly 'what' kind of forum this is, and the backgrounds of the people here.

I am sure Beau Jangles will correct me if I am wrong, but, my impression is that there are a wide range of Christians here on this forum. You have all different denominations, theological view points, ranging from traditional, charismatic, Messianic Jews, and those who push their church doctrines, those who have had bad experiences with churches and want nothing to do with them (nursing their hurt feelings). Many times, using myself as an example, individuals grow up in a particular denomination, then join another, then turn non-denominational, then, if thirsting for a deeper experience with Jesus, will opt for bible study groups, then realizing that we are to be part of local assemblies, and re-join a local church.

My experience with Worthy Forums is that there are many God honoring, sweet spirited Christians who love Jesus here. Find those members, and try to develop relationships with them. It takes effort, but, is very much worth that effort. Just ignore the ones who seem to be contentious, as we all are in an 'walk' with the Lord, and sometimes that means letting them have the 'last word' on a topic. Several times, I almost gave up and ready to drop out of Worthy Forums, but found that Beau Jangles was one who actually encouraged me, and so I stayed. So glad he did that for me. Now, after spending time on this forum, I have found others who also have that 'sweet' spirit of loving Jesus, and if I start naming them I might get in trouble (sorry Beau Jangles for naming you earlier). Also, Georges daily devotion 'nuggets' are very good!

Hope all goes well for you and yours . . . 

Grace and Peace . . . Ray  . . . 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Henry_iain said:

I am in a charismatic/ non-denominational church. It is called Shofar Christian Church. My parents are in both in a branch of the Dutch Reformed Church. My brother goes to an Anglican church. :) 

Hi Henry. That's interesting your parents are dutch reformed and you Charismatic. If Dutch reformed is like traditional reformed,like the five points of the TULIP I would say you guys definitely have some different views hehe. My folks are not believers. 

Regardless,thanks for sharing that. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

i do think that there alot of Christians in here from differnt churches who have differnt beliefs,  i find it very intresting because i like to hear differing opinions on vsrious doctrines & other intresting subjects

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  24,678
  • Content Per Day:  5.76
  • Days Won:  161
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

1 hour ago, Glory To God said:

Hi Henry. That's interesting your parents are dutch reformed and you Charismatic. If Dutch reformed is like traditional reformed,like the five points of the TULIP I would say you guys definitely have some different views hehe. My folks are not believers. 

Regardless,thanks for sharing that. :)

It gets better

My dad is a theologian and preacher. He is also an expert in rhetoric. But he doesn't believe the bible is inerrant and believes large parts of are only stories. He is a sceptic. And that way of believing runs through my family. 

My mother, although she is mainly Dutch Reformed, is quite happy to go to churches that happened to interest her. It is her who invited me to come with her to a charismatic church when I was 14 and the moment I was there, I knew I was where I wanted to be. 

I avoid all religious discussions with my family and keep what I believe and think to myself. It's just better that way. 

However, I think my background has helped me in many ways as a believer 

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, shortangel said:

i do think that there alot of Christians in here from differnt churches who have differnt beliefs,  i find it very intresting because i like to hear differing opinions on vsrious doctrines & other intresting subjects

Indeed different can be good. My Reformed belief is a very specific strand of Christianity and separates itself by the controversial view that God chooses the sinner for redemption,not the other way round. That being said,I still like to see other peoples perspectives on things. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, DDisconnect said:

The church my parents frequented when I was a kid was an Assembly of God church, before they decided to leave and never return. I've been attending the online services of a local nazarene church and I think I'll go in person at some point.

For myself though, I consider myself non-denominational. There's God and there's the Bible - It should really be so simple. All the denominational stuff seems mainly based on scholarly contentions that most who go under the said denominations may or may not be on the same page with. Better to judge someone on their beliefs and character rather than whether or not they identify as this thing or that thing.

I used to be non-denominational,then moved into Baptist beliefs and now Reformed. For me these have been stepping stones as my thoughts have evolved. I would agree that denominational doctrines can lead people away from God if over applied,on the other hand sometimes they can help structure and build ideas. Online church is a good alternative. :)

17 minutes ago, Henry_iain said:

It gets better

My dad is a theologian and preacher. He is also an expert in rhetoric. But he doesn't believe the bible is inerrant and believes large parts of are only stories. He is a sceptic. And that way of believing runs through my family. 

My mother, although she is mainly Dutch Reformed, is quite happy to go to churches that happened to interest her. It is her who invited me to come with her to a charismatic church when I was 14 and the moment I was there, I knew I was where I wanted to be. 

I avoid all religious discussions with my family and keep what I believe and think to myself. It's just better that way. 

However, I think my background has helped me in many ways as a believer 

Well, more of the Bible is being denied and questioned as authentic as time goes on so it's not just your father. I personally believe it's all inerrant and have found no strong evidence to prove otherwise. I would be interested to know what parts he thinks are stories,surely he can't think Genesis can be a story, because if there was no Adam,there was no fall,there is no inherited sin.....which leads to total depravity,which is foundational in Reformed. Not asking you to speak for your Dad hehe. And it's nice that you found a church that you like and a community that's right for you. I agree religious talks should be handled cautiously. :)