• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,028
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,369
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

3 minutes ago, leah777 said:

sometimes we need to re-visit the past in order to ask God for healing from memories and PTSD events. Often healing is a gradual process, one memory or hurt at a time, over a period of time.

Yes, I understand that.   I was writing more about people that constantly keep obsessing over the past, over and over.   Instead of moving forward with the Lord's help.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

On 8/2/2020 at 7:32 AM, leah777 said:

sometimes we need to re-visit the past in order to ask God for healing from memories and PTSD events. Often healing is a gradual process, one memory or hurt at a time, over a period of time.

If a person is strong enough in their walk with Christ to visit the past and learn from it, then it could be productive. But too many times when we visit the past we wind up experiencing negative emotions, anger, hurt etc., especially when it comes to PTSD events you mentioned. I know that from personal experience. In this case visiting the past can hinder our spiritual growth and even affect our relationships with others. I know we can't wipe out the memory of past events, but we can keep them from weighing us down by living out the passage of scripture in the OP (Phil. 3:13-14).

Have a good evening

Gary

• Loved it! 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

I've heard it say every now and then, that some folks are so heavenly-minded that they do no earthly good. But I actually think it's actually the other way around, that the ones most heavenly minded do the most earthly good. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  24,845
  • Content Per Day:  5.78
  • Days Won:  161
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

2 hours ago, Unit 11 said:

I've heard it say every now and then, that some folks are so heavenly-minded that they do no earthly good. But I actually think it's actually the other way around, that the ones most heavenly minded do the most earthly good. 

Hebrews 11:13-16 ESV

13These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. 14For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. 15If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. 16But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.55
  • Days Won:  15

Indeed therecis a balance. On one hand we move on from our past mistakes, but we should also learn from them. It also heartens us to remember our past experiances in Christ and to remeber what the Lord has done, “For every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you are announcing the Lord’s death until he comes again” (1 Corinthians 11:26). 

I too love this passage by St. Paul. :) 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

The past has many dimesions.  There are sometimes things we must remember from our past so that we do not do the wrong thing again.  Then there are lessons we have learned in the past that we need to carry with us so that we can continue to grow into who God wants us to be.

There are memories in the past that we need to hold on that are both positive and negative.  Each serves their purpose.  But, the other side of the coin is we don't need to live in the past.  Just remember what we have been through, what we have learned from it and utilize what we need. 

Now if you are talking about holding grudges from things done in the past, Forgiveness is a commandment of God and we MUST forgive others in order for God to forgive us (Biblical).  So holding grudges from our past is something we have to release and not continue to do.  No matter what someone else has done to use, we must forgive them (though this does not mean at all that you must trust them or associate with the anymore if they are toxic for you).

So many times people say "Stop holding on to the past" but thats a false statement.  Keep what you need from the past (that which will help you grow, learn, and remember what to do and not do in a life for Christ) and leave behind what you don't need and what is useless to you (grudges, regrets, rejections, and all other negativity that serves no purpose in life today).

Its learning which is which that is difficult for most.

• Loved it! 1